PDA

View Full Version : I just talked to a recruiter (said I can't join)

ZamorezG
07-24-09, 12:36 AM
Because I've been home schooled since freshmen year. I'm a senior. Is this right?

Alisium
07-24-09, 12:44 AM
It doesn't sound right. It seems so long as you have an accredited diploma you should be fine.

However, if I am wrong (and I very well may be), I think you can get buy on 15 college credit hours.

More Marines will come in later to better help you out.

Just remember, the greatest things in life are often the hardest to achieve.

Donut Brigade
07-24-09, 02:47 AM
If you have a diploma you should be good. There was a home schooled dude in my 'A' school. Smart as hell.

ZamorezG
07-24-09, 03:25 AM
Yeah I thought it didn't sound right. Maybe he thought it wasn't accreditend? Like if my parents were teaching me or some ****. However, thats not the case. I go to a school once a week (every Monday) to pick up homework from 6 different teachers who then explain to me the work. It needs to be turned in by the following Monday. I think he was wrong. Thanks for your help, guys, appreciate it. Can Anyone else give me more peace of mind? Or more info on this?

marine95
07-24-09, 03:40 AM
ZamorezG,

You are going to need some kind of transcripts to enlist while your a senior though. And you going to need some help from your recruiter in talking to the SgtMaj so you can take the ASVAB and hopefully you get a AFQT of 50 or higher.

Pete0331
07-24-09, 04:09 AM
It doesn't sound right. It seems so long as you have an accredited diploma you should be fine.

However, if I am wrong (and I very well may be), I think you can get buy on 15 college credit hours.

That is the solid lowdown.

As long as you have a HS diploma, or some college credits they can't refuse you on that basis.

Sergeant M
07-24-09, 04:25 AM
I think you're also considered Tier I if you get 50+ on your ASVAB.

GyC
07-24-09, 10:29 AM
Yeah I thought it didn't sound right. Maybe he thought it wasn't accreditend? Like if my parents were teaching me or some ****. However, thats not the case. I go to a school once a week (every Monday) to pick up homework from 6 different teachers who then explain to me the work. It needs to be turned in by the following Monday. I think he was wrong. Thanks for your help, guys, appreciate it. Can Anyone else give me more peace of mind? Or more info on this?

You posted up before regarding your medical issues as well as weight/ PT issues. I gave you some pretty direct advice on what you needed to do prior to walking into the office. Now I'll give you some more from Recruiter's perspective, since it's what I do for a living. If you walked into my office, over weight, with a history of asthma, and homeschooled, I wouldn't even let you sit in the chair to talk with me or one of my Recruiters. The reason I gave you advice previously, was so that you walk in the office and the Recruiter takes you seriously. The Marine Corps will assist you in many ways to achieve becoming a Marine, however, you have to help yourself first. And I hope you told them about your asthma.

1. Get within weight standards (I posted your max weight previously).

2. Get the PFT/ Doctor's letter clearing you for full physical activity.

3. I am unclear on your education status, however, if you are recieving a homeschool diploma, you must score above a 50 on the ASVAB/ Screening Test. If you are recieving a High School Diploma from an accredited Institution, you're fine. But you have to clarify this and show proof. The Marine Corps does not turn away qualified individuals.

4. When you come on here for advice, and get it, why don't you use it??

Good luck ... S/F

MicMarine
07-24-09, 01:08 PM
Gunny, can this young man tranfer to a public high school and be good to go educational wise? Rather then having to do so much paperwork.

ZamorezG, Have you gotten into the height and weight standards like Gunny advised? Did you get cleared from a doctor on asthma? You will PT your d!ck off Recruit Training. Not like going for a job around the track. That is some serious SH!T.

GyC
07-24-09, 01:44 PM
Gunny, can this young man tranfer to a public high school and be good to go educational wise? Rather then having to do so much paperwork.

ZamorezG, Have you gotten into the height and weight standards like Gunny advised? Did you get cleared from a doctor on asthma? You will PT your d!ck off Recruit Training. Not like going for a job around the track. That is some serious SH!T.

Some "homeschooled" applicants get an actual diploma from the high school that they get their materials from... They submit their work and it's graded by the school... That's what I was trying to clarify as far as that goes, but the burden is on the applicant to verify/prove that so... Especially if he's overweight/ not PT qualified (IST)/ and has medical issues... Hence my response to his post... I'll work with someone provided they don't come in like a football bat, and show me they're truly serious about the committment... And so would whoever he's dealing with... S/F

ZamorezG
07-24-09, 02:03 PM
Ok here's what I got going for me.

I can run a mile 1/2 in about 12 minutes of course, I'm heavy set so, I stop a few times, but I have enough drive in me to just finish regardless of being tired. The good news is I don't get shortness of breath. I just get tired easily. 30 crunches easily. and with some more weight training I'll build myself up to doing a few pull-ups.

I read somewhere that the weight limit for my height was 168lbs. I highly doubt my body structure will allow that. I lose weight fairly easily so I'm not too worried about reaching a 220-230 weight requirement...if that's the correct requirements.

As for education. I'm set for graduation June 2010. I'm a "b- c+" student. The recruiter did mention that if I went back to a public school and graduated from there I'd have a better chance.

One other question. Can a recruiter give me the ASVAB? I really don't want to wait til' September to take it at school.

Anything else you would need to know? At first the whole idea of becoming a Marine was just a thought tossed around in the back of my head, but as I've looked into it further I've realized how much this decision could benefit me. I really want to join now.

OB MSG
07-24-09, 02:09 PM
Hold on a tick! Are you saying that you are 220-230? Hopefully you are 6'2" or more to be carrying that weight. Regardless, if the reg says you need to be at 168 on the high end then you are not over 6'0".

I'm 6'0", and I know the weight max for me was 203, but you could get away with being heavier if your body fat percentage was less than 20% and you had a 1st class PFT.

Also, at 6'0", I came out of Boot at about 175 (or less, I was pretty damn skinny in some early post-boot photos) and I'm still North of the grass, so trust me, you'd be amazed at what the body can handle. Just keep your heart in it, and run! Then run some more, and when you have to stop to puke, do it, then keep running. Oh, and don't forget to hydrate.

GyC
07-24-09, 02:12 PM
Ok here's what I got going for me.

I can run a mile 1/2 in about 12 minutes of course, I'm heavy set so, I stop a few times, but I have enough drive in me to just finish regardless of being tired. The good news is I don't get shortness of breath. I just get tired easily. 30 crunches easily. and with some more weight training I'll build myself up to doing a few pull-ups.

I read somewhere that the weight limit for my height was 168lbs. I highly doubt my body structure will allow that. I lose weight fairly easily so I'm not too worried about reaching a 220-230 weight requirement...if that's the correct requirements.

As for education. I'm set for graduation June 2010. I'm a "b- c+" student. The recruiter did mention that if I went back to a public school and graduated from there I'd have a better chance.

One other question. Can a recruiter give me the ASVAB? I really don't want to wait til' September to take it at school.

Anything else you would need to know? At first the whole idea of becoming a Marine was just a thought tossed around in the back of my head, but as I've looked into it further I've realized how much this decision could benefit me. I really want to join now.

What's your height??... Don't guess-timate either... Last time you were at the doc what did he tell you?? And you say heavy-set, what do you mean?? No recruiter is going to spend time on you until they're dang near certain that you're qualified... Just being straight up with you...

ZamorezG
07-24-09, 02:13 PM
I know I'm overweight. I'm 6'2 240lbs. Last time I checked I weight 235lbs (about a month ago) But, I like to tell myself I weight more. That way I'll be more determined to lose weight.

Heavy-set, meaning I'm bulky.

GyC
07-24-09, 02:19 PM
I know I'm overweight. I'm 6'2 240lbs. Last time I checked I weight 235lbs (about a month ago) But, I like to tell myself I weight more. That way I'll be more determined to lose weight.

Heavy-set, meaning I'm bulky.

Well, usually you do weigh more... Get down below 230, go to the doctor, square away education stuff... Those are all things YOU need to do prior to going back to the Recruiter... S/F

ZamorezG
07-24-09, 02:27 PM
Sounds good. Do you think I should contact the recruiter to ask about the home school situation?

What exactly should I ask my doctor to do to me to determine If I'm in good of health to join?

Alisium
07-24-09, 02:29 PM
Sounds good. Do you think I should contact the recruiter to ask about the home school situation?

What exactly should I ask my doctor to do to me to determine If I'm in good of health to join?

Get a physical. Tell him you want to join the Marines and ask him to check for any problems that would give you a hard time. Like asthma, joint problems, diabetes and so forth.

GyC
07-24-09, 02:48 PM

Pulmonary Function Test/ Letter stating you're cleared for full and unrestricted activity... If you are getting a homeschool diploma, then you must score above a 50 QT on the ASVAB... If you are getting a diploma from the school you're turning in your work to, then you should be good to go...

Sgt Leprechaun
07-25-09, 03:40 AM
Listen...to...GyC.....

Write that down, put it on your wall, and REPEAT. It's the best advice you are gonna get.

Lastly, if possible, go into High School for your senior year. You'll get a diploma and problem solved. (As far as education).