PDA

View Full Version : Took the asvab...

ZombieWolf
07-23-09, 07:50 PM
I've been looking around these forums for a little bit.
took the asvab today and taking the physical tomorrow- so i thought i'd sign up.
scores:

MM-138
GT-129
EL-140
CL-129
AFQT-93

I'll ship sometime between dec. and feb. 2009.

I'm currently at 9 pullups, 72 crunches, and a 6.5 minute mile.

I want to go infantry-then from there go for scout/sniper and/or recon.

what do you guys think? (experienced Marines only please)

Lisa 23
07-23-09, 07:52 PM
No profile, no answers. And read the rules in the Poolee forum and the Ask A Marine forum.

JWDevilDog
07-23-09, 07:58 PM
(experienced Marines only please)

Oh, is that right? What, so you think you rate to get to pick and choose who you get answers from?

Just because I have never done the MARSOC indoc, nor am I an 0317 or 0321, you think I don't know anything about being Billy Badass, or Ricky Ticky Recon?

There are plenty of Marines who know all sorts of things, which are factual, about things that they have never been experienced in.

And as the PFC said, fill out your profile and maybe we will answer. But for questions like related to 0321, 0317, or MARSOC, you will be able to do a "search" within this site to find many answers you might need, and more information than you were hoping for. Broomstick, anyone?

As a wannabee, you don't rate to tell a Marine to shut his suck. :evilgrin:

Now push.

Donut Brigade
07-24-09, 02:55 AM
I'm an experienced Marine (I've done Leading Marines MCI, kthx) and I have this to tell you: you're not gonna last long.

ZombieWolf
07-24-09, 03:41 AM
i just didnt want to hear from poolies is all i was saying

marine95
07-24-09, 03:45 AM
If I had scores like that, I would be trying to find out what MOS's give out the biggest bounuses after my first four years.Trying to live a wild dream isn't always fun. The saying "the grass isn't always greenier on the other side" is so true once you are a Marine.

Sergeant M
07-24-09, 04:31 AM
You're not in shape, but you're fairly intelligent (I have higher scores than you, and more credits to boot), so i would say try doing a winger job. You won't realize how much you love Air Conditioning until you run around in full gear in the desert for miles on end. Be a crypto linguist, or Aircrew. 4 yrs in the Marine Corps, is that enough salt for you POOLEE?

JWDevilDog
07-24-09, 11:46 AM
i just didnt want to hear from poolies is all i was saying

You're posting in the "Ask a Marine" section. Most poolees know better than to answer in here. This is not the pool[ee] hall.

Good job on filling out your profile. Now, the next step is for you to do a thorough search on this site, because there have been countless threads and there are countless answers to your questions about recon and scout snipers.

MicMarine
07-24-09, 12:19 PM
This is the trash I am talking about. BOOTs trying to act like hard @sses with a keyboard. A woman trying to give advice on a male only MOS, a Sgt that got out two years ago saying go for the money. Not a single post on this thread is worth reading because it is no more the bullying. Cpl M, WTF is your MOS? You make it sound has if you haven't been in A/C for month. When is the last time you set up an LP/OP in Iraq, I will even give you 29 Palms? Have you ever done a 100 mile hump in 4 days?

This young man is seeking ADVICE, not a trying to talk your sister out of her panties and stick it in her pooper. The ridicule, bitterness, and bullying on this site is horse sh!t. Leave that to the NCOs and SNCOs who where a duty belt and a Campaign cover.

To ZombieWolf: It is not smart to come into the lions den with a steak necklace, nor is it smart to come here saying "experience Marines only". You must be humble, respectful, and address the Marines by Rank/Name. PM me if you have any questions. I, unlike most of the Marines on here am willing to help you and others.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-25-09, 03:30 AM
Zombie, you, as the Sgt above stated, set yourself up on that one. However, if you use the search feature, it will direct you to what you seek. You might have to wade through 200 other poolee questions asking the exact same thing, but you'll find your answer with some work.

While 'go for the money' isn't a bad answer IMO (I've never gotten a bonus, ever) it's going to depend on what YOU want to do and what you are qualified for. It's also going to depend on what the Marine Corps has available. That's the bottom line.

WKranz
07-25-09, 03:37 PM
Go grunt, you can sit in ac and load c-130s when you're an old man but you can't run around with a full pack and combat load when your old. Go infantry, you can sit in an office in the civilian world, but the infantry is purely available in the military.

JWDevilDog
07-26-09, 11:00 PM
Sgt MicMarine,

How did you get negative credits? Buyin' too much stuff, right?

ZW,

I'm all about going infantry, as I wanted to but it was unavailable when I enlisted (I DEPed in during the month of Decemeber, 03xx was already closed out). Just, as some of the other Marines posted, make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.

Again, there is nothing wrong with 03xx, 0317, 0321, or MARSOC, but just make sure you do plenty of research on this site, and others, and that you know exactly what you are getting into.

ZombieWolf
07-27-09, 07:48 AM
Thanks Gentlemen, I appreciate the advice. I'm getting signed up to go take the DLAB sometime this week and see what scores I get then go from there. I'm gonna do some more research- but I'm pretty interested in the 6 year TOE UH spot with a $15000 bonus, but then again if I can get crypto with the $25000- I might just go for it.

Thanks again.

-ZombieWolf

Donut Brigade
07-27-09, 01:40 PM
Best of luck.

Mesto53
07-29-09, 09:07 PM
I've been looking around these forums for a little bit.
took the asvab today and taking the physical tomorrow- so i thought i'd sign up.
scores:

MM-138
GT-129
EL-140
CL-129
AFQT-93

I'll ship sometime between dec. and feb. 2009.

I'm currently at 9 pullups, 72 crunches, and a 6.5 minute mile.

I want to go infantry-then from there go for scout/sniper and/or recon.

what do you guys think? (experienced Marines only please)

You can pick and choose from the other answers that have been posted so far, you pretty much heard it from lots of different ends of the spectrum. I will say this, going Infantry first and then moving over to Recon/Scout Sniper is a smart idea. Living the infantry life in the Marine Corps is usually the best start to anyone's career here. Just never forget, even as you may have already learned from responses to this forum post alone, that the Marine Corps is a giant melting pot. I can't even touch on the Infantry life myself, only from stories or parties with the Grunts & Recon on Schwab. But with your ASVAB you can do pretty much anything you want. They won't make you retake it, not that you'd want to. I got a 97AFQT myself, but started off sitting my ass in the A/C behind a computer supporting Deployed Units with gear. It's what I wanted to do, and now that I'm coming up on my reenlistment, I can sit here and research as to what I want to do next (Which is the reason I even have an account on here). But about half the office SNCO's I have here at the Battalion started off with Infantry, made them better leaders in my personal opinion, in fact more efficient SNCO's.

Do what you want, hell see if you can get a bonus for going Infantry, there are all kinds of Infantry Incentives going on this Fiscal Year. Who knows? Best of luck.

ZombieWolf
07-31-09, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the input and suggestions Corporal.