PDA

View Full Version : A welcome home salute

thedrifter
07-23-09, 12:14 PM
A welcome home salute
Written by Meaghan Glassett
Thursday, 23 July 2009 10:37
U.S. Marine Joseph Canale, a 2008 Whitman-Hanson graduate, was welcomed home after graduating from the Marine Corps Boot Camp in Parris Island last week.

Friends and family hung welcome home signs for Canale’s arrival. Neighbors beeped, waved and yelled congratulations and “thank you” to the Marine.

“It’s very moving to not be able to see or hear from them for 13 weeks. You can tell in the letters how much [the recruits] have grown, but you don’t understand until you actually see it,” Canale’s sister Ashley Canale said.

“It’s like seeing a new person when you see him. The Marines made him a man,” Canale’s sister Danielle said.

Canale, 19, explored other branches of service, including the U.S. Army and Navy, but decided the Marines best suited him.

Canale said that on his trip down to Savannah, Ga. he was told to keep his head down so the recruits couldn’t see how to escape the bus.

“I had no idea what to expect. I was shocked at how intense the drill instructors could be the whole time,” he said.

Upon his arrival at Parris Island, he was assigned to the third battalion Quebec Company.

Boot camp has three phases, Canale said. During phase one, when the recruits first arrive, they learn how to be a recruit and learn how to march. In phase two, they are taught about the rifle, and in phase three, they use all the knowledge they have acquired in the previous weeks.

Each week, the recruits were taught different lessons, Canale said. During Swim Week, Canale qualified at the second highest level in the boot camp. Grass Week taught the recruits how to get in position and shoot the M16 A2 rifle and also how to service a rifle. During his third week, he learned how to shoot from a distance.

The fourth week was a little different. It was called Team Week, and each recruit had a different job to do around the island. Canale’s job was laundry.

The Basic Warrior Training he took part in was about learning how to patrol. The group had to learn to navigate with a compass and a map. They also learned how to clear a building and the most basic infantry maneuvers, he said. In following weeks, Canale was taught how to shoot for accuracy. The recruits also had to practice their speed while reloading guns.

The “Crucible” is the ultimate test of what the recruits have learned, Canale said. During the three-day event, the recruits hike several miles to the crucible with their gear in their backpacks. Over the course of the three days, they were only allowed six hours of sleep, Canale said. After the hike back, the recruits then become Marines.

Canale officially became a Marine on July 4, and his graduation was held on July 10.

His sister Danielle said it made that Fourth of July very emotional.

She said it also was very emotional after graduation when the drill instructor told the crowd to go and find their Marine.

“You really get your son back,” Canale’s mother Helen said.

On graduation day, Canale said he felt a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

“I wasn’t a recruit anymore,” he said. “I was equal to everyone else who was there.”

Canale received a merit and was promoted to private first class. To receive the honor, he had to place in the top 5 percent of the company. He had the highest score in his platoon and received Ironman status from his placement on the physical fitness test.

“I improved a lot from my initial physical fitness test to the final physical fitness test,” he said.

During his hour of free time he was given each night, Canale said he would work on pull-ups and sit-ups. His self-training allowed him to achieve a perfect score for pull-ups.

“It was a lot of discipline. I have a lot of respect for the military and have gained a lot of endurance,” Canale said.

Canale recently received word that he will be staying in the area to assist in recruiting. When he is finished recruiting, he will be heading to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina where he will take part in Marine combat training. Shortly after, he will begin training for his job in the electrical field.

Ellie