PDA

View Full Version : Kamikazes................

crate78
07-23-09, 11:49 AM
I just finished reading a fascinating and absorbing book entitled “Thunder Gods”. It’s an account of the Japanese Kamikaze operations against the U.S. forces in the final stages of WWII.

This one was written by a Japanese author, Hatsuho Naito, about the Japanese side of the war. It was translated into English by Motoji Ichikawa, himself a Kamikaze pilot whose collateral duties prevented him from going on a mission. The book is Forwarded by American author James Michener and Prefaced by Hachiro Hosokawa, a Kamikaze pilot who was the only pilot of his group to survive the war.

Kamikaze pilots have been portrayed in the U.S., mostly by the movie industry, as being hardcore fanatics, focused 100% on their mission. This was not necessarily the case. Becoming a Kamikaze pilot was strictly voluntary, and more than one pilot had second thoughts after volunteering but would not back out for fear of being branded a coward. A significant number became undisciplined drunks, some simply partying while they still had the chance, some used alcohol as a means to steel themselves against their mission. (Who would discipline them under those conditions?) With missions being scrubbed and aborted because of weather conditions and mechanical failures, the Kamikaze pilots were on an unbelievable emotional roller coaster. When it became obvious that Japan was not going to win the war, many others began questioning why they should die for a lost cause. One, flying a Zero with a heavy bomb load, strafed his own command post out of sheer frustration as a parting gesture while leaving on a mission.

Although mention is made of conventional fighter planes being used as Kamikazes, the book mainly focuses on the “Ohka”, which was basically a large rocket propelled bomb with a human guidance system that was carried to the target area slung under a “Betty” bomber and released when the Ohka was within range of the target. It contained a small cockpit with just enough controls to allow the pilot to steer it to a target. I haven’t seen it, but one is supposedly on display at the U.S. Navy Memorial Museum in Washington DC. There is also one at the aviation museum at Dulles Airport. We’re going to DC in September, so I’ll have to look. (They were also referred to as “Baka Bombs”, Baka meaning “stupid”.)

There were other frustrations. A large number of missions failed because of mechanical failures. Opportunities for a successful mission were lost because the pre-mission ceremony was so lengthy that the situation had changed by the time the Kamikazes arrived on the scene. One entire squadron was lost in inclimate weather and never heard from again without ever contacting a target.

Guess this got a bit wordy, but the book would be of great interest to anyone interested in WWII. It does an excellent job of portraying the fact that the enemy was human, also. At times before a mission, even hardened Admirals were reduced to tears and unable to speak to the pilots.

All in all, a worthwhile read for anyone interested in WWII history.

crate

yanacek
07-23-09, 12:08 PM
Excellent post!!!

There are a number of Baka Bombs on display. I saw my first in the early 1960's at the age of six at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Their use was a disaster as most were shot down before they could be released by their "Betty."

Here's a photo of one. The green aircraft in the background is a Ki-46 "Dinah" reconnaissance aircraft:
http://www.simonawhite.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/MXY7%20Ohka.jpg

CH53MetalMan
07-23-09, 12:24 PM
The young Japanese pilot had obviously chosen to make his run to death by coming in low – just above the water. He was picked up when he was two or three miles astern and all the guns that could be brought to bear were firing at him, not only from the Missouri but from other ships in the formation. The members of the forty millimeter gun crew on the stern described to me the way the plane came in. The pilot had apparently been untouched by the hail of gunfire and was riding his plane in like a jockey on a racehorse – squatting in his seat. He hit just abaft of turret two, shearing off the port wing of the plane which flew a hundred feet forward and landed behind a five inch gun mount at an intake vent which provided ventilation to the fire rooms. His torso fell on the main deck and the rest of his plane and portions of his body went into the water – all without his bomb exploding. (Note: In viewing the photograph of the attacking 'Zeke', there is a shape visible under the fuselage corresponding to placement of a 500 lb. Bomb. Other photographs of 'Zeke' aircraft, prior to take-off, show them carrying a single 500 lb bomb placed under the fuselage and slightly behind the leading edge of the wing. This would seem to verify that the bomb was attached and simply did not detonate. M.W.)

The next morning a military funeral was conducted for the Japanese pilot who appeared to be a young man about eighteen or nineteen years of age. To some of the crew who grumbled because military honors were rendered, I reminded them that a "dead Jap is no longer an enemy." As far as I am aware this was the only instance of its kind in World War II where such honors were rendered under such circumstances."

http://www.ussmissouri.com/sea-stories-kamikaze

yanacek
07-23-09, 12:48 PM
In the above attack, I don't believe any American sailors were killed. Here's a photo showing a MG from that Zero lodged in the barrel of a 40mm gun barrel.

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/ImagesSep9_2007/KamikazeGunMissouri.jpg

Osotogary
07-23-09, 01:00 PM
Read the book as well, crate78. You are right, it was a good read. Additionally, don't forget about the "Kaiten-Turning of the Heavens" suicide submarine. Here is a good link:
http://combinedfleet.com/ship.php?q=kaiten.htm

CH53MetalMan
07-23-09, 01:06 PM
In the above attack, I don't believe any American sailors were killed. Here's a photo showing a MG from that Zero lodged in the barrel of a 40mm gun barrel.

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/ImagesSep9_2007/KamikazeGunMissouri.jpg

That is true, no Americans were killed, or so I learned a few years ago when I visited Pearl Harbor's "book ends." The Arizona & Missouri!

yanacek
07-23-09, 01:11 PM
The next morning a military funeral was conducted for the Japanese pilot who appeared to be a young man about eighteen or nineteen years of age. To some of the crew who grumbled because military honors were rendered, I reminded them that a "dead Jap is no longer an enemy." As far as I am aware this was the only instance of its kind in World War II where such honors were rendered under such circumstances."

http://www.ussmissouri.com/sea-stories-kamikaze

I do find this part very hard to believe. It must have been one of the few examples of humanity that was shown in the Pacific.

crate78
07-23-09, 01:33 PM
I once read a book, the title of which escapes me at the moment, about submarine espionage during the Cold War.

The ship Glomar Explorer was sent to attempt to retrieve a Soviet submarine that had sunk. The sub broke apart and only a portion of it was retrieved, but that portion contained the remains of 6 Soviet crewmen. They were buried at sea with full military honors with a memorial service in both English and Russian, and with both the U.S. and Soviet national anthems played.

The service was filmed, and after the Cold War was over the film was played for members of the families of the lost Soviet crew. The family members were astonished and openly moved that men they had considered arch-enemies for years would treat their dead with such respect.

Enemies they may have been, but there was still a level of mutual respect.

crate

yanacek
07-23-09, 01:45 PM
I once read a book, the title of which escapes me at the moment, about submarine espionage during the Cold War.

The ship Glomar Explorer was sent to attempt to retrieve a Soviet submarine that had sunk. The sub broke apart and only a portion of it was retrieved, but that portion contained the remains of 6 Soviet crewmen. They were buried at sea with full military honors with a memorial service in both English and Russian, and with both the U.S. and Soviet national anthems played.

The service was filmed, and after the Cold War was over the film was played for members of the families of the lost Soviet crew. The family members were astonished and openly moved that men they had considered arch-enemies for years would treat their dead with such respect.

Enemies they may have been, but there was still a level of mutual respect.

I've seen that film and that was true, however I don't think there was much respect on the part of most American servicemen for Japanese--either alive or dead. Heck, after 64 years most WW-II guys I know still retain their "dislike" of the Japanese.

crate78
07-23-09, 02:28 PM
You're probably right, Yanacek.

When I was at Atsugi, WWII vets in the squadron said they still got the willies when they saw a Japanese plane with the "meatball" on the side.

crate

Old Marine
07-23-09, 02:52 PM
I've seen that film and that was true, however I don't think there was much respect on the part of most American servicemen for Japanese--either alive or dead. Heck, after 64 years most WW-II guys I know still retain their "dislike" of the Japanese.

That's the way it should be, considering the sneak attack on Pearl.

yanacek
07-23-09, 02:57 PM
That's the way it should be, considering the sneak attack on Pearl.

Can't say I blame them Guns!

Marine84
07-23-09, 03:09 PM
DAMN! I thought you guys were going to talk about them kamikazes I used to drink when I was in Japan.

yanacek
07-23-09, 03:11 PM
DAMN! I thought you guys were going to talk about them kamikazes I used to drink when I was in Japan.

Sorry to disappoint you. Tell us about it!!!

Wyoming
07-23-09, 06:14 PM

My Dad, a pilot in the Army Air Corps in WWII, NEVER forgot!

Skosh59
07-23-09, 06:23 PM

Our house-boy at Iwakuni was one. Damn I can not remember his name :confused:

I know that he told us "they surrendered the day before his scheduled flight."

crate78
07-23-09, 08:04 PM
Our houseboy in the Staff Sergeants quarters at Atsugi took the American name of "George".

While we were deployed to Taiwan, for some reason us Staff Sergeants all started calling each other George, regardless of real name. The practice continued after we'd returned to Atsugi and drove our houseboy nuts.

crate