PDA

View Full Version : Boxford veteran going back to WW II battleground

thedrifter
07-23-09, 07:37 AM
Boxford veteran going back to WW II battleground
By Brendan Lewis/blewis@cnc.com
Wed Jul 22, 2009, 03:59 PM EDT

Boxford -

The forgotten battle on the island of Peleliu was one of the more controversial entanglements of World War II, where Marine casualties soared to capture a tiny piece of land and accomplished nothing. Following the first offensive in the Pacific at Guadalcanal, the siege of Peleliu was intended to play a role in a strategic plan that was later laid to waste.

Boxford resident Frank Pomeroy is one of the several dozen survivors still alive from the battle that took the lives of more than 1,300 marines, all to gain control of an island roughly the size of Topsfield.

“It was a very costly piece of real estate,” said Pomeroy about the coral-based landmass that is part of the Palau Island nation. “It was measured in blood…not in dollars.”

Pomeroy will be traveling back to the island in September for the 65th anniversary of the battle. While on the island, he will speak before others at a ceremony and will also tour the land to see how it has changed.

“I’ve always wanted to return and this is my chance to do it,” said Pomeroy.

He knows it will look much different from when he came ashore almost 65 years ago. After futile attempts by American bombers to rain down explosives on the 12-square-mile island, the U.S. military realized that the Japanese were hiding in hundreds of coral caves.

“I never saw a green leaf on a tree,” said Pomeroy about the extent of the American bombardment.

Pomeroy said that his Marine division lost 25 percent of their men before the end of an amphibious attack on the beach. After reaching beyond the beach, his group began losing men or splitting up and, in no time, he was wandering around the island by himself.

With three machine gun bullets in his leg and a bayonet wound in his knee, Pomeroy was lost on the island with little energy to find a way back. Finally, an American amphibious tank rolled close by him and saved the injured Marine.

“I knew I was bleeding very badly. I just figure this is where I have to make my stand,” said Pomeroy about staying put and flagging down his fellow soldiers when the time came.

As one of the first images seen when searching “Peleliu” on Google images, a news correspondent snapped a picture of Pomeroy holding his hands in his head, right after being rescued. He had been stuck for six days in a burnt jungle, with rescue prospects seeming bleak.

“It was such a relief…and he captured that,” said Pomeroy of his picture.

In the picture, a rip in his pant leg shows the aftermath of a bayonet falling on his left knee, with blood both from him and a Japanese solider.
By the time he was rescued on the sixth day of battle, roughly 64 percent of the 1st Marine division was either killed or injured. The battle then went on for another two months.

Overshadowed by bigger news in the war, the major losses at Peleliu were largely unnoticed by the American people and the world. With General Douglas MacArthur invading the Philippines before the battle was done, all of the attention went over to his recent activity.

Pomeroy also said that the military did not want to immediately send out the information.
“Not only was it overshadowed, but we were told it was kept under wraps…that it was such a loss of human life,” Pomeroy said.

But Pomeroy said the encounter is beginning to gain more recognition as a battle where significant lives were lost, nothing was done, and nothing was publicized. He said the reunion will allow him to explore the island in a much different light than the way he left it.

While stuck alone in the forest, Pomeroy said he had to defend himself against Japanese soldiers in close combat, portraying a stark image of the overseas battle.

“It was close in combat and that is what is far more brutal,” said Pomeroy. “You remember that much more than someone that you shoot at a distance.”

Pomeroy had not even graduated from Danvers High School before convincing a recruiting officer to allow him to join the Marines at 17 and traveling to his first fighting encounter at the historic Guadalcanal campaign.

“I turned 18 on Guadalcanal,” said Pomeroy.

Pomeroy said that he saw more action in the six days on Peleliu than six months at Guadalcanal.

“I was 19 then. I didn’t know if I was going to see 20,” said Pomeroy, who is 84 now.
Pomeroy, who worked in insurance before retiring roughly 20 years ago, is leaving for Peleliu on September 11, landing first in Guam and then to the small island.

As his ship was leaving Peleliu in 1944, Pomeroy said he turned to coral land mass and vowed to return.

“I’ll come back someday,” said a 19-year-old Pomeroy nearly 65 years ago.

Ellie