PDA

View Full Version : Confused about the VA

Ishinusmc
07-23-09, 03:42 AM
Greetings Devildogs

I'm curious about how the VA works.
I served from 87 to 91, went to desert storm as an 0331.
I do not have any disabilities or problems from being in the Marines.
But I need to see a doctor and unfortunately my wife and myself were both laid off and have no insurance.
I'm curious to know if any veteran can go and get treatment at the VA or does it have to be related to an injury while on active duty?
Can I just show up with my dd214 and be seen or is it a long process?
Is it just medical or is dental included?

And last has anyone ever been to the VA in Atlanta Ga.?

thanks for any responses :usmc:

thewookie
07-23-09, 06:27 AM
That's a good question and I'm not sure of they answer. I wanna say yes, but the sarcastic Marine in me thinks here's some BS to go along with it. Good luck, someone will be around that knows. Semper Fi

Ed Palmer
07-23-09, 06:51 AM
They have opened up again so all you have to do is enroll as a catagory 8 And qualify
call first and see what all paper work that you will need.
Good luck.

Rocky C
07-23-09, 07:01 AM
Here You Go.
Everything you need to know.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

http://www1.va.gov/health/

oldtop
07-23-09, 08:53 AM
You will need a copy of your DD 214 (be sure it is a copy of the one marked MEMBER 4) and will need to complete a form 10-10 EZ at the VA Hospital. You will then be assigned to a catagory (1 through 8) and receive treatment based on the catagory you are assigned to. No Dental treatment, except for 100% service connected vets, or for vets in the vocational rehab program that develop dental issues that interfere with their schooling.
TIP: When completing the form 10-10 EZ, be sure to show the total amount that you and your wife spent out of pocket last year for ANYTHING that could be considered medical expenses....bandaids, MEDICAL INSURANCE, Rx drugs, over the counter drugs, ANYTHING MEDICAL
VA is currently having an OPEN ENROLLMENT PERIOD...get thyself to the nearest VAMC NOW..do not put it off! I don't know how long this open period will last.

Semper Fi

Old Marine
07-23-09, 08:59 AM
They will issue you a VA identification card and it is good at any VA Medical Center.

thewookie
07-23-09, 09:48 AM
VA is currently having an OPEN ENROLLMENT PERIOD...get thyself to the nearest VAMC NOW..do not put it off! I don't know how long this open period will last.

Semper Fi

Top, is that for all Marines (off active duty) or only Marines who are currently suffering from an ailment? I mean,, can I sign up for this just in case, even though I only did eight years, am healthy, and have medical through my employer? Just looking for clarification. Semper Fi

Petz
07-23-09, 10:12 AM
I know the wife isn't covered though...

oldtop
07-23-09, 10:26 AM
Open Enrollment is for all veterans...If you have a DD 214 that says Honorable (General, etc.), you're a veteran... a DD 214 that says UNCLASSIFIED means that you ARE NOT a veteran, and will not...

thewookie
07-23-09, 10:49 AM
Thanks!

Ishinusmc
07-23-09, 11:11 AM
thanks everyone for responding so fast

Ishinusmc
07-23-09, 12:50 PM
1 more question; <br />
I just moved and cannot find my dd214 papers but will my Honorable discharge paper work instead?

oldtop
07-23-09, 03:40 PM
NOPE... go on line to the National Personnel Records Center, complete a form SF180 and request an UNDELETED copy of your DD214. That will get you a replacement. You can complete your request omline, or download the form and mail it to NPRC. The address for mailing is #14 on the form's instructions.

Petz
07-23-09, 06:39 PM
if you mean the paperwork you got when you went to GPAC that says DD-214.... yeah, that will work...if you are refering to something else then refer back to the MSgts post.

Ishinusmc
07-23-09, 10:23 PM
thanks top

Artemis
07-24-09, 10:59 AM
A little of topic but I would suggest that once you recieve a replacement copy of your DD 214 that you take it down to the county clerks office and get it registered for the small fee of $5. That way if anything else ever happens to it you can have an easily accessible copy of it.

oldtop
07-27-09, 09:39 AM
At one time, registering your DD 214 with the county clerk's office was a good idea, ...NOT ANY LONGER... doing so makes your DD 214 a Public Record in most states.. ANYONE can then obtain a copy... makes ID theft so much eaisier!!! If your state has a State Department of Veterans Affairs, bring your DD 214 there, and have them keep a copy on file, so if you need it, it's readily available.