PDA

View Full Version : Flight uniform questions

EJnoMI
07-22-09, 08:00 PM
Is there any manual, or Order somewhere that outlines more in depth the wear of the Flight suit and other flight gear? For example, can the Gortex Jacket (Marpat) be worn with the flight suit? I've seen it done on the flightline, but I never really knew if it was right or not. As a general rule, most of them just do it on the flightline, and not to the PX or otherwise. Also, is there a certain way it should fit? I understand that it should not look like you are swimming in it, nor should it seem that you are about to burst the seams. Is it required of me to shine my boots, or is it a "Fire hazard"? I just haven't found a solid clarification to correct wear of the uniform, other than word of mouth.

Lisa 23
07-22-09, 08:02 PM
How about squaring away your profile there Marine so we know who we are talking to. :thumbup:

EJnoMI
07-22-09, 08:14 PM
How about squaring away your profile there Marine so we know who we are talking to. :thumbup:

Umm... My bad. I'll work on that.

GIrene
07-22-09, 08:23 PM
In what terms? If you are a Loadmaster I have no exact clue. I think you guys get to sport those aircrew boots that our pilots wear. As a knuckle dragger when I get my engine turn up qual I'm authorized a flight suit. But we wear them with our normal boots and generally get them dirty over time.

It should fit snug but not tight, Essentially get a size or two bigger and use the adjust tabs to make it fit. Your Flight E should set you up proper too.

Of course if you don't know, check your command's LOI's on it. We have LOI's on coverall and flightsuit wear in the last two units I've been in. Or check with your fellow NCO's or SNCO's.

EJnoMI
07-22-09, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I know we have some stuff in the SOP, but I was looking for something more "All encompassing", if you will. Something that outlines the details, like the uniform regulations spell it out for the Cammies and Service/Dress uniforms. I know how to wear the uniform and not look like a tool, I have been wearing it for a good while now. I just have always wondered if there was a governing document for it.

GIrene
07-22-09, 08:33 PM
Here you go brother... outta P1020.34G

7006. FLIGHT CLOTHING

1. Aviation clothing and equipment will be as supplied by the U.S. Navy and by the U.S. Marine Corps. Such clothing and equipment will be worn only when and as prescribed by commanders.

2. The flight suit will be worn with flight boots, green/black cushion-sole socks, green crew-neck undershirt, garrison cap, black leather nametags, and no more than two CNO-/CMC-approved unit/squadron patches. The flight suit is authorized for aircrew members outside the working/squadron areas subject to the same regulations that apply to the utility uniform.

3. The flight jacket may be worn with the service uniform by only those Marines properly issued and required to maintain an authorized flight jacket according to existing regulations. The flight jacket may be worn with the service "B," "C," and service with sweater uniforms. These uniform combinations will only be worn on base, or while traveling in a private/government vehicle between local military facilities, or to and from a domicile. While traveling outside a military installation no stops are permitted. The jacket will not be worn when the service "A" uniform is considered more appropriate, nor will it be worn on leave or liberty, or with the utility uniform or civilian clothing. When the flight jacket is worn with the service uniform, only one unit/squadron (CNO/CMC approved) patch may be worn. The patch, if worn, will be on the right front of the jacket, level with the nametape on the left side.

4. Listed are the four types of flight jackets authorized with the service uniform:

a. Jacket, flying, men's intermediate, type G-1 (leather)

b. Jacket, suits, flying, winter (green, poopie suit liner)

c. Jacket, flyers, cold weather, fire resistant (AF CWU-45 sage green)

d. Jacket, flyers, cold weather, fire resistant (AF CWU-36 sage green)

5. Nametapes will be worn on flight suits and flight jackets and will be 2 inches wide by 4 inches long, made of black leather or synthetic leather material only, with hook and pile (velcro) backing. The following information will be embossed in gold on the name tape:

a. Line 1. Aviation breast insignia (or Marine Corps emblem if aviation breast insignia is not rated).

b. Line 2. Initials and last name.

c. Line 3. Grade and component (USMC, USMCR).

EJnoMI
07-22-09, 08:41 PM
I understand that it is in the uniform manual. However... well i guess I didn't pose the questions I had in a manner that might produce the answer I seek.

Is the Gortex Jacket authorized for wear with the flight suit? Are there any stipulations? Do I have to shine my boots, Per the Marine Corps? I know and understand that when ordered to do so (SNCO, Officers, SOP, etc.) that I will then be obligated to do just that... but is it already established? What about my flight gloves? Can I wear them around base when it's cold? I can wear black gloves with my Cammies, so what about the flight gloves? I am sure I could put a couple more specifics, but I think you get the idea. If it's not published, is there a place that I can ask for these answers?

Sergeant M
07-22-09, 08:41 PM
Go master a load you ****ing boot.

EJnoMI
07-22-09, 08:45 PM
Niether the time nor the place, Corporal M. This will reflect on your Pro/Con marks!

Sergeant M
07-22-09, 08:46 PM
Guess we know who actually called Achped's OOD now, don't we?

Lisa 23
07-22-09, 08:50 PM
Umm... My bad. I'll work on that.
Good to go! :thumbup:

Wyoming
07-22-09, 11:02 PM
Guess we know who actually called Achped's OOD now, don't we?

No, WE, don't.

Only to say it wasn't done by EJnoMI. He certainly appears to have his head screwed on tight, and his join dat is - Join Date 07-22-09, Not only that, but he appears to know you and not have much use for you. EJnoMI, am I reading something into your post -
Neither the time nor the place, Corporal M. This will reflect on your Pro/Con marks!

I have a pretty good clue, as the aszhole that called the OOD surely has done a good job on laying sheeit off elsewhere. Not only that, but the OOD call seems to crop up in different areas.

Sergeant M
07-22-09, 11:15 PM
crop up in different areas? How do you mean?

Wyoming
07-22-09, 11:26 PM
d i f f e r e n t t h r e a d s

EJnoMI
07-24-09, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure what the exchange is about... "the OOD" is a member on here, I suppose?

Supersquishy
07-24-09, 04:58 PM
I was wondering why you want to know all about flight suits and the things that go with it? In my squadron the only Enlisted Marines that rated to wear one is if they were turn qualed, meaning that you had the Qualification from starting the APU/GTS, low power setting for engine and fuel tests, or High power setting for Engine tests, duct tests etc, etc. and only then they made you change back over to coveralls(If the SNCOIC said you had to) other wise you just looked like a wannabe at the chow-hall. One thing to mention On board the ship during High Power turn ups, the Marine doing the function tests would have to have the harness rigging to be strapped into the ejection seat with helmet in case the hold down bar broke or some other catastrophic event in order to eject safely. Swim qual was a must. PS nomex Gloves were required during any engine start of the Aircraft. Hope that helped some.

EJnoMI
07-27-09, 04:45 PM
Unfortunately, that doesn't help at all. I am enlisted flight crew on KC-130s, so I wear the flight suit EVERY DAY. I know how to wear it and not look like a tool, I'm an NCO for ****'s sake! I guess I'll just have to take what is in the Uniform Manual and use my good, sound judgment.

""In my squadron the only Enlisted Marines that rated to wear one is if they were turn qualed"" FYI, there are many other Marines out there that wear flight suits besides Pilots. Crash Crew for example. Enlisted aircrew, which there are a lot of here, and anywhere else there are Crew Served aircraft (KC130, CH-46, CH-53, Osprey).

Thanks for the input, though~

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-09, 11:23 PM
EJ, I think it goes to common sense. I've seen field jackets and goretex both being worn with the flight suit, but NOT the nomex gloves when not in the airframe.

As far as bootshining, it was at one time discouraged for flight boots since it was said that the boot polish was flammable and caused issues on the flight line. Not sure if that is still the policy or not.