PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Learned: Marine Corps Center for Lessons Learned Web Site Allows Free-flow of

thedrifter
07-22-09, 03:19 PM
Lesson Learned: Marine Corps Center for Lessons Learned Web Site Allows Free-flow of Information Among Troop Leaders
1st Marine Logistic Group Public Affairs
Courtesy Story
Date: 07.22.2009
Posted: 07.22.2009 12:48

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. – It's ok to make mistakes, as long as something is learned, and the Marine Corps Center for Lessons Learned Web site allows troop leaders to share what they have learned with the rest of the Corps.

MCCLL contributes to the 1st Marine Logistics Group's ability to learn from previously deployed units by gathering and disseminating lessons, observations and after-action reports from "those who have gone before" to provide recent, timely information that helps prepare Marines for evolving combat environments, said Robert D. Clark, MCCLL liaison officer to 1st MLG.

MCCLL seeks what works and what doesn't from the operating forces and relays this information to the decision makers for consideration. The key is to gather the right information, get it to the right people in a timely manner while ensuring it is in a useable format.

Our enemies learn their own lessons, which enable them to adapt well in fluid, rapidly changing tactical environment. The sooner current, relevant, accurate information gets to training venues and the operating forces the better.

MCCLL provides multiple methods for units and individuals to gain knowledge, such as monthly and Safety Corner newsletters, weekly classified tactics, techniques, and procedures rollup, topical papers and its website.

MCCLL representatives also hunt and gather information from other sources for use by organizations such as 1st MLG and its subordinate commands and facilitate communication between MCCLL and commands. They inform, advise, assist and instruct use and capabilities of MCCLL tools and repository, and conduct or participate in formal collections.

"My role is to hunt, gather, package and disseminate information," said Clark, 46, from Baltimore. "I hunt by participating in formal collections and by providing analysis. I gather by seeking material such as unit AARs. I package by organizing material in useful formats for 1st MLG personnel, MCCLL analysts in Quantico, and for proponents and decision makers. I disseminate by ensuring 1st MLG personnel have access and at times are force fed relevant material from multiple sources."

The MCCLL website is set up in a manner that allows units to provide nearly instantaneous feedback from garrison and deployed experiences in a format that is easy to use, quickly vetted and readily available.

One can view, create and submit AARs, view observations and recommendations, add lessons learned and download MCCLL documents. MCCLL maintains more than 50,000 structured records and material from other organizations, such as the Center for Army Lessons Learned and numerous defense think tanks or forums.

The web site includes search functions that access MCCLL, other services, combatant commands and other government agency databases, an AAR builder and forums called Communities of Practice.

For access to the MCCLL website, personnel can register at https://www.mccll.usmc.mil. Any Marine or Sailor with a common access card, card reader and computer access can register, then submit or download information. There is a similar web site on the secure internet protocol router network for those with a clearance and access, as well as posts of selected material on both the 1st MLG unclassified and classified SharePoint sites. Use the following link to access the unclassified SharePoint site: https://1mlgsharepoint.nmci.usmc.mil/G3/mccll/default.aspx

The Daily Digest is a very effective tool for busy Marines and Sailors. This function offers an automatic search of new material loaded to the database, using keywords that registered users provide, resulting in automated email notifications of new material matching the search words.

Within I Marine Expeditionary Force, MCCLL provides liaisons to the I MEF command element, 1st Marine Division and 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, in addition to 1st MLG. These liaisons serve as conduits among and between units and the decision makers responsible for organizing, training and equipping Marine forces.

"First MLG units don't fully appreciate how important their AARs and lessons are," said Clark. "...A battalion AAR is a powerful document, but only if it is disseminated for review and analysis. I can't promise a unit commander's recommendations will be adopted, but I can promise that analysts and decision makers will read the report and consider the recommendations."

Arma per Experientiam, "to strengthen or make ready for war through experience," is the Marine Corps Center for Lessons Learned motto, and through its web site, Marines can strengthen their operational readiness by sharing their experiences with others.

Clark is available to assist all 1st MLG units by providing information concerning MCCLL processes and tools, capturing their lessons and obtaining material to support training and deployment preparations. Marines and Sailors can reach him at 763-5163 or by email at Robert.Clark8@usmc.mil.

Ellie