PDA

View Full Version : Mos Situation

Bioskrizzel
07-22-09, 02:23 PM
I have searched the forums for an answer to my questions but have not been able to find an answer pertaining to my situation. I was at MEPS and swore in on June 6th i believe with a ship date of Dec 28th and had an open contract, i was told i needed to sit down with my recruiter and discuss the jobs available to me. Well that never happened, about a week ago my recruiter called and told me my ship date was changed to Sep 21st(i asked to be told if anything sooner opend up but not to change dates) yet i still had no job dispite asking to talk about it a few times. i got a call from my recruiter on the 18th this month(saturday) asking me what i wanted to do for my job i told him infantry 0300, he told me to think about it overnight and to also think about going crewchief and call him the next day. so i called and told him infantry and thats what i was sticking with, he said ok ill put the request in on monday and ill call you when i got info for you. so i get a call today from him saying i didnt get infantry (said it was full)but i got Crewchief. My ASVAB score was 77 but i dont know my line scores as my recruiter never gave me a copy or told me what they were, all he said was that i am qualified for any job i want.
So my questions are.
1. Is my recruiter BS'ing me and just filling what he needs(date and MOS)
2. what is it going to take for me to get the 03xx on my contract.
3. How should i go about talking to my recruiter about this situation and what i want without him feeling like im disrespecting him and his ability?

Thanks for your time, and sorry about the long story but thought it would help you answer my questions better.

Donut Brigade
07-22-09, 02:29 PM
1. No is MOS is "full". Jobs open up every October. If you are dead set on 0300 wait till then, or...

2. Tell him that if the job of your preference is not available, you are not going to ship or join the Air Force. Your recruiter will promise to "check one more time" and then he will tell you that you took the last spot for infantry.

3. See # 2.

GyC
07-22-09, 03:12 PM
I have searched the forums for an answer to my questions but have not been able to find an answer pertaining to my situation. I was at MEPS and swore in on June 6th i believe with a ship date of Dec 28th and had an open contract, i was told i needed to sit down with my recruiter and discuss the jobs available to me. Well that never happened, about a week ago my recruiter called and told me my ship date was changed to Sep 21st(i asked to be told if anything sooner opend up but not to change dates) yet i still had no job dispite asking to talk about it a few times. i got a call from my recruiter on the 18th this month(saturday) asking me what i wanted to do for my job i told him infantry 0300, he told me to think about it overnight and to also think about going crewchief and call him the next day. so i called and told him infantry and thats what i was sticking with, he said ok ill put the request in on monday and ill call you when i got info for you. so i get a call today from him saying i didnt get infantry (said it was full)but i got Crewchief. My ASVAB score was 77 but i dont know my line scores as my recruiter never gave me a copy or told me what they were, all he said was that i am qualified for any job i want.
So my questions are.
1. Is my recruiter BS'ing me and just filling what he needs(date and MOS)
2. what is it going to take for me to get the 03xx on my contract.
3. How should i go about talking to my recruiter about this situation and what i want without him feeling like im disrespecting him and his ability?

Thanks for your time, and sorry about the long story but thought it would help you answer my questions better.

1. Your Recruiter isn't bs'ing you, there may not be Infantry spots available. It isn't what he needs, it's what is available for him to get you. If you want to leave sooner than December, then you have to look at what is available. I'm straight up with guys that want to get out of here ASAP, in that there isn't alot of jobs available. As guys fall out of the pot, their jobs come open.

2. Once a field is closed, it takes somone with a field you want to go down, or for them to switch up. You should set a time up with your Recruiter or the Boss, and go over everything that you're qualified for, and what's available. You may change your mind about Infantry. Be stern, they obviously had a spot come open for you, and now need you to go, so tell them you're not happy with the job you have, but want to leave...

3. You talking about what you want isn't disrespecting anyone. If you came to me and said, hey, I really want to go Infantry, can we sit down and talk, I would. You're not disrespecting anyone, you're trying to get what you want and join the Marine Corps...

Good luck, let us know how it works out... S/F

Bioskrizzel
07-22-09, 03:14 PM
I guess i could give that a try if you think #2 can actually work for me, ill call my recruiter and post back with new info later. thanks!

Bioskrizzel
07-22-09, 03:51 PM
Just called my Recruiter and told him "i have my heart set on going infantry and im not happy with my current job(Crew chief), What can we do to get me 0300 on my contract. what are my options". He said when we get to a computer he will check to see the the soonest shipdate that is available for my job and switch me, and that he will talk to Gunny Ali for me about my situation. so hopefully i get a date that isnt till next year with the job i want.

one more question, is there any kind of waiver that would get me 0300 for sep 21st since the new fiscal year is starting in october? just thought i was ask.

GyC
07-22-09, 04:11 PM
My advice to you was to look over everything that you are qualified for, see what's available, and make a decision from there. Maybe you like the sound of driving tanks, fixing airplanes, or working on computers. Infantry is the first field to fill up, always. Take your time with deciding what you're going to do for 4 years, maybe longer... ERRRR... Your objective is to leave earlier than December with the job that you want, right??

Bioskrizzel
07-22-09, 04:38 PM
Take your time with deciding what you're going to do for 4 years, maybe longer... ERRRR... Your objective is to leave earlier than December with the job that you want, right??

I have taken my time deciding what i want to do and the only real interests i found are in the 0300 field. I have been planning on joining since 2000. After i got out of high school I was pressured into becoming a firefighter by my family so i stopped talking to the recruiters. Now i know thats not what i want to do and im following my dream of earning the the title of United States Marine. I would really like to spend more than just 4 years active, hopefully even make it to 20+ years but i dont want to have to spend my time with a second choice job.

I wouldnt say leaving before december is an objective, i thought i would be able to get the job i wanted AND leave earlier which would of been great.
Here is a list i have been using for a few months looking at jobs.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

Sergeant M
07-22-09, 07:43 PM
Go crewchief. It's a pretty badass job. You have a good chance of being a door gunner! You know that guy in Full Metal Jacket that says "You just don't lead em as much!" That COULD be you!

marine95
07-22-09, 11:46 PM
1. Your Recruiter isn't bs'ing you, there may not be Infantry spots available. It isn't what he needs, it's what is available for him to get you. If you want to leave sooner than December, then you have to look at what is available. I'm straight up with guys that want to get out of here ASAP, in that there isn't alot of jobs available. As guys fall out of the pot, their jobs come open.

2. Once a field is closed, it takes somone with a field you want to go down, or for them to switch up. You should set a time up with your Recruiter or the Boss, and go over everything that you're qualified for, and what's available. You may change your mind about Infantry. Be stern, they obviously had a spot come open for you, and now need you to go, so tell them you're not happy with the job you have, but want to leave...

3. You talking about what you want isn't disrespecting anyone. If you came to me and said, hey, I really want to go Infantry, can we sit down and talk, I would. You're not disrespecting anyone, you're trying to get what you want and join the Marine Corps...

Good luck, let us know how it works out... S/F

GyC,

I would like to say thank you (as a former recruiter) for being one of the honest SNCOIC's that Ive worked with. I had a real good one also GySgt Jones. I know what's it's like to start shipping, and I'm not sure if anyone called other stations to make some trades. Again thanks for given the new poolee some sound advice.

Semper Fi

Bioskrizzel
07-23-09, 11:44 AM
thank you all for your advice and time with this post. Im in the process of talking to my recruiter and will post back and let you all know what went down.

Bioskrizzel
07-23-09, 01:33 PM
Ok so i got new info, im now leaving Sep. 14th instead of the 21st, im keeping my Crew chief job on my contract. The gunnery sergeant that runs the station told me to keep it and to talk to my senior DI at boot camp and he might hook me up with infantry, or if not in MCT he said i might be able to do a lat move and go infantry if thats what i really want, no guarantee but it could happen. He said to tell them "look i got a badass job but i really want to do infantry". but my recruiter is telling me something different, he says "if you want to go infantry ill tell gunny you want to go open contract and you can pick to do infantry" he also says "they cant give you a job you dont pick with an open contract" but the gunny told me "dont go open contract or you will prolly end up with some high tech ass job sitting behind a keyboard and get to see no combat with your scores".

what to belive? any help here would be greatly apreciated!
-Ski

Donut Brigade
07-23-09, 02:38 PM
High tech job sitting behind a keyboard in an air-conditioned lab with 3 Sailors in charge? Sounds like my MOS! <br />
<br />
And you know what? It's a SWEET-ASS job, full of awesome people. Don't let...

Bioskrizzel
07-23-09, 06:07 PM
I have no doubt about that, but its not the type of job i would like to do. However thats not my problem, my problem is i dont know who to believe or what to believe. both recruiters are telling me different things and sending mixed signals, if you read reply #11 you can see what i mean. Any input will be helpful to me as i am just running in circles with the recruiters at my station at the moment.

JWDevilDog
07-23-09, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure what your recruiter means when he is talking about Open Contracts, because that's not how it works. You don't get to pick your MOS if you are on an Open Contract. It sounds like your recruiter is misinformed.

Open Contract basicaly means that your MOS would be based on the needs of the Marine Corps. The Gunny you were referring to in post # 11 is correct. You are placed in a job, and you do not pick it, if under Open Contract.

Marine84
07-23-09, 08:53 PM
STOP!
Take a freakin' chill pill. Focus and think.

First off, if you already have an MOS (and it's in black & white) - keep everything as is and enjoy the next few years of your life while you travel the world.

I think some of you have been playing too much Playstation. Why does anybody in their right mind want to go Infantry? For the ones of you that can handle their lifestyle, I'm behind you all the way. For those that can't handle it, you are going to be miserable for the next few years while you travel the world. Grunts don't get the best of treatment (best heads, best place to sleep at night, and sometimes, they have to eat things that would make you puke if I told you) and they sometimes have the hardest job. And there will be times when you can't even wash your a$$ so you ain't gonna smell too good. Might be OK though, from what Accord told us, other Grunts will be kissing you anyway. Besides, everybody knows that the Ground bases SUCKED!

RELAX! And for the record, I'm one of the "dumba$$e$" that went open contract. I guess it was my day when my name was picked cause I ended up in Ordnance and LUUUUUUUVED the hell out of it. No matter what you choose, you'll still be a tiny part that makes the Big Green Machine run smoothly.

boomer56328
07-24-09, 02:30 AM
STOP!
Take a freakin' chill pill. Focus and think.

First off, if you already have an MOS (and it's in black & white) - keep everything as is and enjoy the next few years of your life while you travel the world.

I think some of you have been playing too much Playstation. Why does anybody in their right mind want to go Infantry? For the ones of you that can handle their lifestyle, I'm behind you all the way. For those that can't handle it, you are going to be miserable for the next few years while you travel the world. Grunts don't get the best of treatment (best heads, best place to sleep at night, and sometimes, they have to eat things that would make you puke if I told you) and they sometimes have the hardest job. And there will be times when you can't even wash your a$$ so you ain't gonna smell too good. Might be OK though, from what Accord told us, other Grunts will be kissing you anyway. Besides, everybody knows that the Ground bases SUCKED!

RELAX! And for the record, I'm one of the "dumba$$e$" that went open contract. I guess it was my day when my name was picked cause I ended up in Ordnance and LUUUUUUUVED the hell out of it. No matter what you choose, you'll still be a tiny part that makes the Big Green Machine run smoothly.

Hey you can always wash your ass. Haven't you heard of baby wipes? And you don't have to eat the gross stuff that often. And as far as the places to sleep goes, your fighting hole can be as nice as you make it!;)

Marine84
07-24-09, 07:49 AM
LOL! Whatever!

Case in point Poolees - you'll look like the "eraser head" in Boomer's profile pic if you go Infantry.

GyC
07-24-09, 10:11 AM
1. Going Open contract is leaving your job choice in the hands of the Marine Corps, to an extent. You will have the ability to talk with a Career Recruiter at MCT (after Boot Camp) , however you would normally not be able to go into Infantry. Your SDI, unless he makes some phone calls, will not affect your MOS/Field assignment. I do not advise anyone to go Open Contract, unless it is absolutely necessary given the individual's situation that I'm dealing with. Your situation is more about leaving in September, than what job you're going with. Job assignment is based on shipping periods, they go by 2 month periods basically. PM me if you want some specifics on the above or clarification.

2. I spent 5 years as a Radio Operator with Artillery/Infantry/Tanks. I spent my second 5 years as an Avionics Tech on CH-53E Helos. I've been a Career Recruiter for 5 years, 8 years total on Recruiting Duty. I have enjoyed every job that I've had as a Marine, because that is what it is about for me, being a Marine. You can move around in the Corps if you choose to. That being said, YOU can decide what you want to do, you have choice in the matter. It sounds like your Recruiter is trying to please you, and the NCOIC is trying to insure you are GTG to ship on the 14th. PM me for clarification on the above.

3. No one is trying to bang you, you may not be making yourself clear on what you want. Once you do that, that's the starting point for the conversation.

Good Luck again, and post up or PM me if you need/ want to. S/F

GyC
07-24-09, 10:14 AM
GyC,

I would like to say thank you (as a former recruiter) for being one of the honest SNCOIC's that Ive worked with. I had a real good one also GySgt Jones. I know what's it's like to start shipping, and I'm not sure if anyone called other stations to make some trades. Again thanks for given the new poolee some sound advice.

Semper Fi

Honesty and transparency is always the best policy when you deal with the perceptions that we as a Recruiting Force deal with. S/F

boomer56328
07-24-09, 04:53 PM
LOL! Whatever!

Case in point Poolees - you'll look like the "eraser head" in Boomer's profile pic if you go Infantry.

Oh come on! You know you dig the do. I wish I had a picture of how long I let mine get before I shaved it. Mine is to the skin under the bandana.