thedrifter
07-22-09, 08:24 AM
Real-life sports heroes
Vets don't let handicaps keep them from playing the sports they love
Comments
July 22, 2009
NEWS-SUN STAFF REPORT

Consider them to be our "Fab Four."

They are disabled veterans Ramon Calderon, David Wells Sr., and Steve Malone -- all of Waukegan -- and Nathaniel Davenport of North Chicago.

The four were among 500 athletes from across the country who participated last weekend in the 29th annual National Veterans Wheelchair Games in Spokane, Wash.

Athletes in the Games competed within three divisions: Masters (age 41-over), Novice (first-time competitors), and Open (all other athletes).

They also competed within classes based to the level of their physical ability. There were three quadriplegic-level classes (1A, 1B & 1C) and four paraplegic-level/amputee classes (2, 3, 4 and 5).

The Games were sponsored by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

The National Veterans Wheelchair Games are a showcase for the benefit of sports rehabilitative programs, and the remarkable athletic abilities and personal achievements of our nation's disabled veterans.

As for how our Fab Four fared on the playing field ...

n Calderon (Army), 63, a combat-wounded veteran of Vietnam, is an amputee (right leg below the knee).

He competed in trap-shooting, basketball, 9-ball and air-gun shooting.

"This is my third consecutive year competing," he said.. "Participating in the Games has shown me that I can still be active in sports."

Calderon competed as a Class V in the Masters Division.

n Wells (Marines), 60, a combat-wounded veteran of Vietnam, is an amputee (left leg above the knee).

He competed in track (shot put, discus and javelin), and also played softball and shot an air-gun.

"My best experience was competing in my first National Veterans Wheelchair Games in 2007," said Wells. "I always look forward to having a great time with old friends and meeting new ones. Even though I'm in a wheelchair, I can still have fun and I wish that I could do it all year."

Wells competed as a Class V in the Open Division.

• Malone (Air Force), 59, a combat veteran of Vietnam, is an amputee (left leg below the knee).

He competed in basketball, softball, 9-ball and bowling.

"This was my first National Veterans Wheelchair Games and I have looked forward to the camaraderie and fun of making new friends for life," he said.

Malone competed as a Class V in the Novice Division.

n Davenport (Army), 59, a combat-wounded veteran of Vietnam, is a paraplegic.

He competed in the motorized-wheelchair rally and finished second in that event. He also was a competitor in 9-ball and in air-gun shooting.

"I felt like I should be a part of the Wheelchair Games," said Davenport. "They are a great idea and help keep me in shape. I wish I would have done this sooner."

Davenport competed as a Class IV in the Novice Division.

Next year's Games will be held in Denver, and you can count on our Fab Four participating once again.

Ellie