PDA

View Full Version : Local veterans relive days of basic training

thedrifter
07-22-09, 08:20 AM
Local veterans relive days of basic training
By Crystal Garcia | Staff Writer
Posted July 21, 2009 1:09 PM

FORT JACKSON, S.C. --- Watching recruits in action at Fort Jackson made Silver Bluff High School senior Allison Delisle more ready to enter the service.

The 17-year-old joined American Legion Post 71 in North Augusta on July 14 during a day trip to the army post in Columbia.

"I just want to start sooner," she said of entering the Marines.

Local NJROTC students were invited to go on the trip with veterans for Reconnect day.

Reconnect is a 2-year-old program with the Department of South Carolina American Legion that began with Post 195 in Lugoff, S.C. It offers veterans an opportunity to view basic training and participate in hands-on exercises.

"We wanted to get closer to the troops," said Bill Heil, of Post 195. "Meet with the troops, eat with them and let them know they are appreciated."

Heil said Reconnect trips are planned twice a year.

Last week veterans watched troops arrive in humvees at Anzio Range, turning the scene into a market in Baghdad. Vendors selling items were hit during the attack and recruits learned how to care for the wounded while under fire.

Next, a village was cleared as simulated bombs were thrown at advancing troops.

Chuck Ashley, of Post 71, said he enjoyed the experience.

"My confidence is a lot higher than it was before I went," he said of the recruits. "I think they are super."

Ashley trained at Fort Jackson in 1949 and said it's different now. It's "modernized."

Urban scenes were not part of training in the past.

"We've added urban training because that's where we're fighting, in the cities," said Lt. Col. Collin Fortier. "It gives soldiers an idea of how to assault a city."

Destiny Kocher, a senior with the NJROTC at North Augusta High School, said she was surprised to learn that soldiers take care of wounded citizens of other countries during war.

"I didn't realize they did that for people," Kocher said.

Delisle said she enjoyed hearing the veterans' stories. She will enter the Marines in June.

"I believe that everyone out of high school should at least do two years of service to have a sense of pride and a sense of honor, discipline." Delisle said.

For more information about the Reconnect program, contact Heil at (803) 438-8614.

Reach Crystal Garcia at crystal.garcia@northaugustatoday.com.

Ellie