PDA

View Full Version : Question about glasses in bootcamp

dpd951
07-22-09, 08:14 AM
I have a kind of random question. First thing is that I am blind. I can't see clearly 10 feet in front of me without my glasses. Knowing that, I don't know if I should bring my broken glasses to bootcamp or my contacts. My glasses are broken on one side (the part that rests on your ear). So I look more retarded and I cant tilt my head or they fall off. As for my contacts, I know that I will be up for like 54 hours or something fun like that for receiving and my eyes get dry from my contacts after about 24 hours or so. Basically I'm wondering how long it will take to get my BCG when in bootcamp cause my normal glasses won't stay on if I have to run from one side of the room to the other. Stupid thing to worry about, just wondering. Thanks for any advice.

NoRemorse
07-22-09, 08:26 AM
Get some cheapo prescription glasses then or look extra retarded by fixing them. When I went to Boot, the amount of time depended on the severity of your eyesight along with how many patients optical was seeing at the time.

It wasn't unusual to wait two weeks or so. In most cases it only takes a few days. Plan for the long wait and get your current goggles in working order.

TJR1070
07-22-09, 08:51 AM
I honestly can't remember exactly how long it took to get our military issue glasses (BCG's=Birth Control Glasses, cause you ain't never getting laid wearing those things). I believe it was at least a week. You will need to see before then so a working pair of glasses would probably be a good idea, you will not have the time nor the opportunity to mess with contacts.

Lisa 23
07-22-09, 09:00 AM
It's amazing what you can find when you use the search bar.

Can you take contact lense in bootcamp?
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85565&highlight=glasses+boot+camp

Vision and eyeglasses
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86130&highlight=glasses+boot+camp&page=2

Glasses
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76369&highlight=glasses+boot+camp

Sergeant M
07-22-09, 09:12 PM
You can't use contacts in bootcamp. If you brought them, you would more than likely be **** out of luck.

dizark
07-22-09, 09:36 PM
When I went to bootcamp in January our bcgs were issued same day including my horrendous prescription. I did have a special order pair come in 3 weeks later because they were polycarbonate. Anyways you won't be doing much running in receiving except for the IST at the end of that first week. You'll usually start your fun games when you meet your drill instructors on that Saturday.

Sergeant M
07-22-09, 10:16 PM
When I went to bootcamp in January our bcgs were issued same day including my horrendous prescription. I did have a special order pair come in 3 weeks later because they were polycarbonate. Anyways you won't be doing much running in receiving except for the IST at the end of that first week. You'll usually start your fun games when you meet your drill instructors on that Saturday.

Don't give away all the fun! Leave them some surprises. I totally thought that my receiving platoon was going to be my platoon for the rest of bootcamp, holy **** was I wrong!

dizark
07-22-09, 10:20 PM
Haha I wasn't trying to give all the secrets away. I must think before I type next time. Haha

TJR1070
07-23-09, 01:42 PM
Don't worry I'm sure most of them bought that retards "How to pass Marine Corps boot camp" e-class anyway! I don't care what anyone tells you anyway you can never prepare for what is coming after...