PDA

View Full Version : Women take monumental flight

thedrifter
07-22-09, 06:39 AM
Women take monumental flight

7/21/2009 By Pfc. Jahn R. Kuiper , Marine Corps Base Quantico

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. —As President Obama stepped onto Marine One the cameras were clicking furiously, but this day they were not focused on the president. The crew chief was posted at the door and stood with a stone face. The pilot and co-pilot were inside making sure all systems were a go. But for the first time all the members of the Marine One crew were women.

Maj. Jennifer L. Grieves, a Marine One pilot; Maj. Jennifer L. Marino, a White House aircraft commander acting as co-pilot; and Sgt. Rachael A. Sherman, a Marine One crew chief were women who made history as they flew President Obama from the White House to Andrews Air Force Base on July 16.

"This didn’t begin as a planned thing," said Grieves. "I was piloting my last flight for Marine One, so I asked to fly with Marino, not because she was a woman, but because we’re really close and she is a great pilot."

Sherman had just picked up crew chief three weeks prior to the event.

"When people heard about Grieves and I flying together they really pushed to get Sherman with us as well," said Marino. "It eventually worked its way up to our commander, Col. Glavy, and he scheduled it so we could all be together."

"When we first learned it was going to be us three it was a really special feeling for us," said Marino. "We didn’t think of what everyone else would think. It was special because we were the first and that was unique. We had no idea it was going to be such a big deal in the media. The White House was really excited to have us come."

"I was really nervous," said Sherman. "I had to stand posted by the door for 15 minutes trying not to look at the cameras that were all over. I tried to keep a straight face."

"Normally we get there only a few minutes before the pick-up," said Marino. "But the president was finishing something inside so we had to wait. I felt really bad for Sherman outside. Grieves and I were looking around and enjoying it."

"I really enjoyed the flight since it was my last one," said Grieves. "Everything went normal."

"After the flight the president said he felt safe with us and thanked us all," said Marino. "He especially took time to thank Grieves because he knew this was her last flight."

This flight left an imprint not only on the crew, but it has stuck a chord with the people who have heard their story.

"I’m happy with the response," said Sherman. "We’re trying not to make a big deal out of it because we don’t want people to single us out because we’re women. But its still nice to be recognized. I think our families our more proud than we are."

"I think we may never know who this impacted," said Marino. "This just gives women the chance to say ‘Hmm, I can do that.’ It shows things do change and that there are opportunities for women in the military."

"I’ve gotten e-mails from brigadier generals and fathers of corporals," said Grieves. "Random people in the commissary come up to me. I’ve never felt special, just very fortunate I was chosen for this job. For me its just all about being a Marine. I’m glad it had a positive impact on people though."

Three different paths lay in these ladies’ futures.

Grieves is heading to the Command and Staff College. Marino will no longer be a co-pilot, instead she will be doing behind the scenes work for Marine One. Sherman will be in the Marine One crew chief rotation until July 2010.

- Correspondent: jahn.kuiper@usmc.mil

Ellie