PDA

View Full Version : Commandant: Every Marine to the fight

thedrifter
07-22-09, 06:12 AM
Commandant: Every Marine to the fight

7/21/2009 By Lance Cpl. Meloney R. Moses , Marine Corps Base Quantico

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. —The Commandant of the Marine Corps and reviewing official of the 48th annual Interservice Rifle Match, Gen. James T. Conway, took the initial shot marking the start of the competition Tuesday.

This competition is open to all regular and reserve members of the armed forces, U.S. National Guard and Reserve Officers’ Training Corps. The 147 participants will spend more than 50 hours on the range firing National Match M16A2 Rifles.

The chief of naval operations, chief of staff of the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force and the commandant of the Marine Corps signed a Memorandum of Understanding on Nov. 18, 1960, recognizing the value of this marksmanship competition. This document was to acknowledge the contributions this competition made toward improving the marksmanship skills of all service members.

We’re at the point in the Corps where we can turn our focus back to other things such as marksmanship, said Conway. That’s a core competency that we need in the Marine Corps.

Each year the guest of honor is invited to take the opening shot as a tradition of the championship match.
Conway addressed the shooters about the importance of the event to the military before stepping to the firing line.

“I stand a little bit in awe,” said Conway. “Where I come from, a big part of a person’s character is how well of a shot he has. It’s about maintaining that high level of skill.

“I ask that you go back and share your talent; take this same training and spread it to every [service member] out there.”

Target 25 was rigged with 50 feet of detonating cord to explode upon impact. Conway stood at the 200-yard line and engaged his Able target. This small blast signaled the beginning of the competition. The first relay of shooters was dismissed to their respective targets.

The competition is scheduled to conclude with an awards ceremony July 28. Look for final standings in the next edition of the Sentry.

Correspondent: meloney.moses@usmc.mil

Ellie