PDA

View Full Version : Significance of ASVAB?

RyanS
07-22-09, 01:56 AM
Greetings Marines and fellow wannabes such as myself. This is my first post. My question is... how important is the asvab? I took it a week ago and scored well on the qualifying score (I'm not yet aware what I scored on the other parts such as mechanical, auto shop, etc. I see my recruiter in a week.) My situation is that due to my record it's pretty much certain I won't qualify for a security clearance. If someone does real well on the asvab do the higher ups take that into consideration, or is the test only used for establishing minimum aptitudes for entrance into the separate military branches? Thanks ahead of time for answering!

Sgt Leprechaun
07-22-09, 04:00 AM
Your last sentence answered your own question. It basically establishes your ability to pick/select an MOS (job).

It has zero to do with clearance, rank, or anything else.

Sergeant M
07-22-09, 05:52 AM
It also has nothing to do with which branch of service you're eligible for. If you have a low ASVAB score, chances are that you're not going to get a job that needs a security clearance. What exactly did you do to not be able to get a clearance? Are you a terrorist?

RyanS
07-22-09, 11:29 AM
Thank you for your answers Marines. No, I am not a terrorist. I did however go through a 2 year period of blissful ignorance when I was 18 and 19 where I received two OWI's (although, I was obviously a driving terror and consider myself a lucky SOB that I never maimed or killed anyone) and several other minor citations. I've gotten my act together since then, graduated college, and want to continue turning my life around while serving my country at the same time. Once again, thank you for the information, and I will be happy with whatever MOS I'm able to choose.

Sergeant M
07-22-09, 09:19 PM
Have you talked to a recruiter yet? He might be able to get you a waiver if you really want a job that requires a secret clearance. Most people on this site want to go 03XX anyways, so I'm sure your recruiter will be happy to hear that you're not adamant about being a grunt.

marine95
07-22-09, 11:57 PM
Thank you for your answers Marines. No, I am not a terrorist. I did however go through a 2 year period of blissful ignorance when I was 18 and 19 where I received two OWI's (although, I was obviously a driving terror and consider myself a lucky SOB that I never maimed or killed anyone) and several other minor citations. I've gotten my act together since then, graduated college, and want to continue turning my life around while serving my country at the same time. Once again, thank you for the information, and I will be happy with whatever MOS I'm able to choose.

RyanS,

When I joined the Marines back in 95, I was on the end of (2) DWI's. When I got to my first duty station, they gave me a job to work in the vault with secret material. I had to sit down with NCIS to show them that all financial obligations were met and I got my secret clearance. Now for a TS clearance, make sure you ahve everything that they might want to know about. Because it could be a long process if your missing something. Good luck.

RyanS
07-23-09, 11:34 AM
Thank you again Marines. Yes, I have been talking to my recruiter. He knows I'm adamant about joining and I'm not bull****ting him around. He's been very professional and thorough in expediting the process as fast as possible for me. I meet to finish all my paperwork JUL 27th, go to MEPS on AUG 4th, and have to get cleared by a military psych shortly after that. Assuming (crossing my fingers) all goes well, I suppose it will just be a waiting game after that.

I really don't have a major preference in MOS, but from what I've been reading I don't think I want to go open contract even if that would get me to BCT the fastest. Moreover, I will inquire about the security waiver now that you gentlemen have brought that to my attention. Thanks again.

RyanS
07-24-09, 01:35 PM
Hello again Marines! Alright, I've talked to my recruiter shortly over the phone and he said if I did open contract he could probably get me to boot a lot sooner (I'm going in to sit down and discuss this next Monday with him) I'm seriously considering this because I just want to be a Marine and my parents want me out of the house sooner than later (understandably). If I do this, will the Marines likely put me in a more skilled job because I scored a 99 on the AFQT? I would prefer that if it is actually the case. I am going to ask my recruiter this as well, but I was hoping to compare your answers to his because I am still wary of going this route. Thank you in advance.

GyC
07-24-09, 01:51 PM
Hello again Marines! Alright, I've talked to my recruiter shortly over the phone and he said if I did open contract he could probably get me to boot a lot sooner (I'm going in to sit down and discuss this next Monday with him) I'm seriously considering this because I just want to be a Marine and my parents want me out of the house sooner than later (understandably). If I do this, will the Marines likely put me in a more skilled job because I scored a 99 on the AFQT? I would prefer that if it is actually the case. I am going to ask my recruiter this as well, but I was hoping to compare your answers to his because I am still wary of going this route. Thank you in advance.

In my experience, you could be assigned a job that you couldn't get coming in the door... For example, if you cannot be assigned a job due to your law involvement, you may get that job down the road from the Marine Corps (they'll waiver it higher up the chain)...

Donut Brigade
07-24-09, 01:54 PM
Ryan,

Take the early ship if you really want to leave. I know I asked my recruiter to leave a month early, and I did. Do you have any kind of clearance yet? Even if it's not done yet, you can still ship and go through boot and MCT, and even your 'A' school but if for some reason you are not cleared before you hit the fleet you will reclassified into a different MOS.

If you are looking for job suggestions...well, I will always encourage poolees with high EL scores to go into Avionics field.

RyanS
07-24-09, 02:00 PM
Thank you very much Marines. Assuming the meeting goes smooth I'm going to pick open contract or Avionics if it lets me leave soon after. Thank you both for the insight.

By the way, the rapid responses and transparent honesty on this site are very very appreciated.

Donut Brigade
07-24-09, 02:11 PM
PM me if you want some insight info on the field and I can point you which specific MOS you can pick from there. MOS descriptions from wiki and stuff may not mean much to you.