PDA

View Full Version : San Onofre I

MD8724
07-21-09, 05:40 AM
Can anyone give me information on the San Onofre I houses. E-4 - E-5 2 bedroom is what I am on the wait list for. Are they nice, big, falling apart, whatever ? Do you know anywhere I can see some pictures of them ? How is the housing community ?

Also, how is the public transportation on/off Pendleton ? Think I can make it 4 months without a car until my wife gets there ?

Pete0331
07-21-09, 06:00 AM
Can anyone give me information on the San Onofre I houses. E-4 - E-5 2 bedroom is what I am on the wait list for. Are they nice, big, falling apart, whatever ? Do you know anywhere I can see some pictures of them ? How is the housing community ?

Also, how is the public transportation on/off Pendleton ? Think I can make it 4 months without a car until my wife gets there ?

Yeah it is very nice.
5-10 minutes walk to Sea Side Plaza.
There they have a commissary, a big PX, post office, library, Dominoes, video rental place, gas station, Burger King, and IIRC a school and daycare.
There is also a bus stop if you do need to get to anywhere else on base or out in town.
10-15 minutes walk to a private beach.
Nearest chow hall and gym is in the 53 area, about 4-6 miles away.
If you're lucky, you can get a place with a view of the ocean.

Four months you may be alright with no vehicle of your own.
I wouldn't rely on the bus to get you to and from your place of duty.
You may want to check out the lemon lot for a decent used car or go to the rental place on mainside if thats what your plan was.

MD8724
07-21-09, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the info Pete.

Sounds pretty good. I think the housing community has a gym, but if not, or if I don't like it, 4-6 miles isn't bad.

I'll be with 1/4 there, I'm not sure how far away they are, but I don't think it is too bad. Maybe a bike can get me there and back ?

I was looking at getting a used car but i havn't really had much luck looking online. I'll just have to look around when I get there. I should have around $10k saved up when I go there. I'll just be looking for a sedan, preferably 4 door. Nothing too fancy. Hopefully I can find one for a decent price.

Quinbo
07-21-09, 09:06 AM
Of course things always change, so all I can fall back on is how it used to be. I thought 1/4 was at Horno? Horno is a ways away from Onefre housing. Maybe they moved to Meteo which would be some closer.

Pete0331
07-21-09, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info Pete.

Sounds pretty good. I think the housing community has a gym, but if not, or if I don't like it, 4-6 miles isn't bad.

I'll be with 1/4 there, I'm not sure how far away they are, but I don't think it is too bad. Maybe a bike can get me there and back ?

I was looking at getting a used car but i havn't really had much luck looking online. I'll just have to look around when I get there. I should have around $10k saved up when I go there. I'll just be looking for a sedan, preferably 4 door. Nothing too fancy. Hopefully I can find one for a decent price.

1/4 is in 52 area, which is another 2-3 miles down Basilone road from 53 area.

If you want to bike there, PT and bike back home it's up to you. :marine:
Make sure there is a place you can store your gear at the barracks, so you don't have to bike it there and back everyday.
Plt Sgt's are usually receptive to accommodating the needs of married Marines.

Lemon lot on Mainside has some good deals. Just make sure you do a carfax, research the vehicle, and get the info of the dude you bought it from so you can hunt him down if it breaks.

You coming off security forces?
1/4 was great, at least it was when I was there. :marine:

MD8724
07-21-09, 09:29 AM
Nah man. I'm a comm guy. Im on Oki right now.

PaidinBlood
07-21-09, 10:23 AM
No pictures, but this is the SanO I site (http://www.lpcmil.com/Installations/camp-pendleton-(mcb)/san-onofre-i/Default.aspx)

http://www.lpcmil.com/Installations/camp-pendleton-(mcb)/san-onofre-i/Default.aspx

Houses are nice enough; I think the ones in III (where the trailer park used to be) are the nicest. You'll be needing wheels to reliably get back and forth to 53 area...good luck.

Pete0331
07-21-09, 08:50 PM
No pictures, but this is the SanO I site (http://www.lpcmil.com/Installations/camp-pendleton-(mcb)/san-onofre-i/Default.aspx)

http://www.lpcmil.com/Installations/camp-pendleton-(mcb)/san-onofre-i/Default.aspx

Houses are nice enough; I think the ones in III (where the trailer park used to be) are the nicest. You'll be needing wheels to reliably get back and forth to 53 area...good luck.

They got rid of the trailer park?!
Dang, that place added a proper ambiance. :marine:

PaidinBlood
07-21-09, 08:57 PM
They got rid of the trailer park?!
Dang, that place added a proper ambiance. :marine:

Gone the way of 8 tracks and DeSoto fins, my friend... Too bad nobody wants to live in base housing right now...

Pete0331
07-21-09, 09:28 PM
Gone the way of 8 tracks and DeSoto fins, my friend... Too bad nobody wants to live in base housing right now...

I'd be willing to live at the RV park on San Onofre beach.
Sandy beaches, glowing sunsets, and no field day. :marine: