PDA

View Full Version : Dip

martinj
07-21-09, 12:43 AM
So as I'm sitting here taking my bedtime dip it hit me that I won't have my can during bootcamp. Will the Drill Instructors ever reward us with a dip for doing something above and beyond?

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 12:49 AM
**** no! Biggest reward you'll get is food probably, piece of candy, cheeseburger (well above and beyond), or a chance at the ice cream machine in the chow hall. I was a huge smoker before bootcamp, I didn't even think about smoking until my last week there, 3rd phase, I could smell freedom.

martinj
07-21-09, 12:59 AM
Damn... That destroyed my little glimmer of hope. Talk about a *****buzz kill. That's going to make boot that much harder.

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 01:01 AM
You're gonna be worried about alot of other things. Personally I wasn't worried about tobacco, pussy, tv, internet or any of that extra ****. All you think about is making it to the next chow and hopefully getting mail from home.

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 01:02 AM
Just an added note: I'm not a fatass either, I was just hungry all the time.

martinj
07-21-09, 01:05 AM
Haha. Very good point though.

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 01:19 AM
I'm not gonna say I don't dip or smoke, but it's bad for your health anyways. Worry more about earning the title, passing your PFTs and not getting injured. You can worry about the outside world after bootcamp. It goes by alot faster than you'll imagine.

martinj
07-21-09, 01:35 AM
Yes sir Corporal, will do.

JWDevilDog
07-21-09, 02:29 AM
Enlisted personnell are not "sirs," even when you use their real rank.

The only time you ever call an enlisted Marine "sir" is if you have absolutely no idea what rank he is, and you know he ranks above you. Then he will correct you and you will comply.

There is no reason to ever call an enlisted Marine "sir" on this site, though.

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 02:32 AM
Yep, Martin you might as well begin learning your military customs and courtesies now. It'll save you some uncomfortable azz chewings in the future.

GravityRain
07-21-09, 06:58 AM
There is no above and beyond in boot camp, that will not be enough for your D.I.'s. They will want more always, until you break, and then they will reward you by putting you in a position to realize they are about to make something wonderful, and dreadful, out of you.

Pete0331
07-21-09, 07:05 AM
Dip until the day you show up on the yellow foot prints.
The extra bit of hate you get from a harsh nicotine withdrawal will make Boot Camp even more memorable. :marine:

JWDevilDog
07-21-09, 07:15 AM
Or you could just not partake in a nasty habit, and get rid of it all together! Just a thought.

Semper Fidelis, Devil Dogs.

NoRemorse
07-21-09, 07:50 AM
Or you could just not partake in a nasty habit, and get rid of it all together! Just a thought.

Semper Fidelis, Devil Dogs.

Now that's an economical solution!

BR34
07-21-09, 07:55 AM
I'm sure you'll be able to find a cig butt or two laying on the ground somewhere. Just pick it up and chew it.

martinj
07-21-09, 08:27 AM
Enlisted personnell are not "sirs," even when you use their real rank.

The only time you ever call an enlisted Marine "sir" is if you have absolutely no idea what rank he is, and you know he ranks above you. Then he will correct you and you will comply.

There is no reason to ever call an enlisted Marine "sir" on this site, though.
So with enlisted Marines I do not use sir with their ranks, and I presume that with officers you do?

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 08:46 AM
correct. Unless their ****heads, then go ahead and call them by their rank. You might want to have a little rank and TIS before trying that one though.

martinj
07-21-09, 08:50 AM
Thanks for setting me straight.

ameriken
07-21-09, 09:34 AM
So with enlisted Marines I do not use sir with their ranks, and I presume that with officers you do?
Except in Boot Camp, you address your Drill Instructors as Sirs.

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 09:57 AM
You will also refer to yourself in 3rd person at all times. Don't worry you'll figure all that out when you get there. This Corporal out!

JWDevilDog
07-22-09, 05:27 AM
I'm glad we were able to legitimately help out a poolee, even if it was an easy one.

Now, I'm just waiting for when his mind explodes from all the confusion in Boot Camp and he calls his Kill Hat "Sergeant" instead of "Sir," or if he hits the Fleet and calls his Colonel by his actual rank. I've seen it done by PFCs.... *sigh*

Sergeant M
07-22-09, 05:43 AM
Tis a great day when I see it. I also like to see boot butterbars telling SgtMaj that he needs to salute him. Ahhh, the customs and courtesies of our Marine Corps make every day an interesting one!

martinj
07-22-09, 08:41 AM
Now, I'm just waiting for when his mind explodes from all the confusion in Boot Camp and he calls his Kill Hat "Sergeant" instead of "Sir,"
I'm pretty sure I would be so terrified that I would lose all control of my bowel movements.

Old Marine
07-22-09, 09:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I would be so terrified that I would lose all control of my bowel movements.

Then you would instantly become a "Dip Sh!t".

martinj
07-22-09, 09:17 AM
Then you would instantly become a "Dip Sh!t".
Haha yes sir it would.

commdog7
07-22-09, 09:33 AM
I'm trying to figure out if this was a serious question or intended as a joke.... If it is a serious question, we really need to raise the ASVAB requirements to join.

martinj
07-22-09, 09:43 AM
I'm trying to figure out if this was a serious question or intended as a joke.... If it is a serious question, we really need to raise the ASVAB requirements to join.
Well the requirement to pass is like a 30 something and I got a 92 so, maybe you should be saying they need to make it harder. But yes that was a genuine question on whether or not they would reward you during bootcamp, and for me the best reward would to be able to take a dip.

commdog7
07-22-09, 09:46 AM
My best reward was making a phone call home. You should find your motivation in family and earning the title, not in taking another pinch from the cancer can.

JWDevilDog
07-22-09, 08:51 PM
Haha yes sir it would.

Really, have you learned nothing? You gave me this warm and fuzzy feeling yesterday because I thought we actually taught you something.

But here you go again, calling an enlisted Marine "sir." He is not a sir, he is a Gunny. Gunnery Sergeant to you.

Sergeant M
07-22-09, 08:54 PM
Martin, go to the bathroom, look in the mirror, and beat the **** out of the first person you see.

dizark
07-22-09, 09:40 PM
Don't be one of the dumb ones to get caught with dip that you tactically received in the mail either. I know of 2 people who got caught and since they were considered integrity violators they were sent back to forming day 1. One I know was dropped from training day 45.

Point is to not be stupid. As said ready you'll be focused on so many other things that nicotine won't really be an issue. Best of luck to you.

Sergeant M
07-22-09, 10:13 PM
I'll send you some while you're at bootcamp. I know how to smuggle that stuff pretty well. I'll just hide it in a bag of pot. They won't even know you got dip!

JWDevilDog
07-23-09, 07:29 PM
Seriously, have you hazed yourself yet for calling Gunny "sir?"

Because if not, you owe him about 50.

SlingerDun
07-23-09, 11:01 PM
That's how much money i have not spent on tobacco since quitting last November:cool:

--->Dave

Qwarkeh
07-24-09, 10:28 AM
Quitting that stuff saves a ton of cash!