PDA

View Full Version : Pft

Echo 29
07-20-09, 10:45 PM
Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the Leatherneck community so I just wanna say howdy first. I've filled out my profile so I don't need an arse-chewing, thank you.

So I'm pretty green here and I wanted to get the gist of the PFTs in the Marine Corps. I started out wanting to join the Army but I decided otherwise. Getting into 1st Class for the PFT has always been a big goal for me and it wasn't a problem if I was to join the Army. When I checked out the scoring charts for the Marine Corps., that changed.

So finally...here's my question. Do you take the PFT immediately after enlistment, or do you finish boot camp first?

Petz
07-20-09, 10:55 PM
you do an IST... just like what you'd do as a Poolee...

got talk to a recruiter and he/she'll bone you up on everything you need.

dizark
07-20-09, 11:01 PM
As the SSgt said you'll do an IST the first week at bootcamp known as receiving week. On training day 35 you'll do a midcycle PFT and near the end of bootcamp before the Crucible you'll do the final PFT.

In Marine Combat Training you won't do a PFT however once I got picked up in my class at my MOS school I had to take another PFT.

Lisa 23
07-20-09, 11:34 PM
First off, since you are only 14 years old according to your profile, I'd worry about finishing school first.

Go to this site: http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp
It gives you a brief description of each training day in the training matrix, from Phase 1 to Phase 3.

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 12:27 AM
IST at beginning of bootcamp. 2 PFTs during bootcamp. 2 PFTs each year after that.

Echo 29
07-21-09, 08:07 AM
Okay, thank you all for the information. I'll keep that in mind, LASWMarine.

NoRemorse
07-21-09, 08:18 AM
"I don't need an arse chewing"? I think you're considering enlisting in the wrong branch of service then. You'll do something wrong and then you'll get corrected on it. Whether or not you get an "arse chewing" to go along with it depends on the degree of your offense as well as the degree of the superior you aggravated.

As for the arse chewing, one of the stickies clearly states that you should exhaust all other avenues before asking a question here. Namely, search the forums as well as the internet. While it may be easier to come on here and ask something that's been asked before it shows that you currently lack the initiative to get what you want.

You're 14 currently, you've got plenty of time to fix that. The alternative is to pay for it later.

TJR1070
07-21-09, 09:35 AM
I was always interested in the military but I was no where near preparing for it at 14. My advice would be to go out and enjoy being a kid, then in a couple of years start working on your IST/PFT. Playing sports in school will keep you in shape, give you a competative drive and maybe even pave the way to college. Don't restrict yourself to one possible plan for your future and you will not only have a fuller life, but along the way you might also find compelling reasons to follow one path or the other. Good Luck with your journey. Semper Fi!

Echo 29
07-22-09, 04:31 PM
Point taken and understood NoRemorse.

Likewise TJR1070, will do.

MicMarine
07-24-09, 01:23 PM
First off, since you are only 14 years old according to your profile, I'd worry about finishing school first.

Go to this site: http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp
It gives you a brief description of each training day in the training matrix, from Phase 1 to Phase 3.

You always come off as a b!tch. Almost every post I have read of yours, unless you are talking to another old timer. No one is trying to kill you, and you aren't a Drill Instructor, relax. The page is set up to give advice. If you can't do that, go step in from of a bus. He is 14, and your what 44. I think the kid knows he has to finish school first.

Lisa 23
07-24-09, 02:23 PM
You always come off as a b!tch. Almost every post I have read of yours, unless you are talking to another old timer. No one is trying to kill you, and you aren't a Drill Instructor, relax. The page is set up to give advice. If you can't do that, go step in from of a bus. He is 14, and your what 44. I think the kid knows he has to finish school first.

I did give the young man advice on finishing school first and then gave him a link so that he can check out the training matrix for boot camp himself.

Sgt, if you have a problem with me, you can either PM or email me. Lets not take this up on the boards.

Alisium
07-24-09, 02:26 PM
Point taken and understood NoRemorse.

Likewise TJR1070, will do.

PT, get hard and use the fact that you're going into the Marines to get with the cheerleaders.

Echo 29
07-24-09, 09:03 PM
Yes sir. Marine Corps or not, PT is good for you.