PDA

View Full Version : Enlistment or Commision

usmcdjcs1ssy
07-20-09, 09:30 PM
Hello,
I am currently a Junior in High School I have maintained a 3.76 GPA or higher and I will graduate with 28-36 college credits. I am currently in C.A.P (similar to JROTC) and I am in several sports, so I have several different scholarships out there that I can get.
So my question is should I enlist into the Marine Corps as an E-2 or should I go to college and commision into the Corps?

Any advice would be great, thank you!!!

ameriken
07-20-09, 09:34 PM
There's another thread running right now on the same subject.....
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84464

usmcdjcs1ssy
07-20-09, 09:41 PM
Hey thanks for the help!!!

ameriken
07-20-09, 10:20 PM
Let me add, when I was in HS I had the same choice....my ASVAB score was high enough for officer, and I had choices for college. I decided to go enlisted and figured I'd do college when in the Corps. Once I got in the Corps, it seemed that Corps life took over and I lost the desire to go to college. Then, I got out and never went to college.

IMO, if you've got the opportunity to go to college, do it. When you have your degree in hand, then you can decide whether or not to start enlisted or go straight for the commission.

usmcdjcs1ssy
07-20-09, 10:41 PM
Hey thanks for your opinion... I would also like to ask another question if you don't mind. I would also be a female recruit... I know that it is harder in MCRD because I have talked to my bro-in-laws Senior Drill Instructor when he graduated from P.I. So is the route of commisioning going to be much harder for me??? One more question what would be your best advice for me over these next two years while I am in high school is there certain things that I should do to prepare myself for enlistment or commision into the Corps.

Thanks for your help Sir

Petz
07-20-09, 10:45 PM
PT..... that will help for both.

as for going to OCS... well it's a different challenge... they are making officers, well testing you to see if you can have the privilege to lead Marines.

ameriken
07-20-09, 11:01 PM
Keep your GPA score up. When you take the ASVAB, the better your score, the better your options will be, as well as your options for college.

As for PT....pushups, pullups, situps (crunches), and running (1 to 3 miles).

As for your question "I would also be a female recruit... I know that it is harder in MCRD", harder than what?

Petz
07-20-09, 11:03 PM
harder if it were compared to the airforce, army, and navy.....

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 12:55 AM
I think she's saying that it would be harder as a female... hahahahaahah

usmcdjcs1ssy
07-21-09, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all of the help... I will use all of these tips throughout my next two years of high school.

Marine84
07-21-09, 10:47 AM
Just being a female in the Corps PERIOD will be hard on you. I don't know though - as PC as it seems the Corps is becoming, it may not be so hard on you.

Petz
07-21-09, 10:52 AM
they work as a team when there are obstacles a single female can't do on her own... but other than those things it's the same training as males.