PDA

View Full Version : Wish List Question

Troy5000
07-19-09, 08:41 PM
If I am repeating a previously asked question I'm sorry. I searched but didn't see my question being asked.

When I enlist I am interested in getting stationed at Camp Fuji, Japan. Is it possible to put this preference on my wish list when I fill it out or do I just have to put Overseas down and hope I get it?

Thanks in advance.

Lisa 23
07-19-09, 09:19 PM
Why don't you try making it through boot camp first, and if you succeed at that, then your MOS school.
You don't tell the Marine Corps where you want to be stationed, the Marine Corps tells you where they want you stationed.

It's either---
East coast
West coast
Overseas

SGT7477
07-19-09, 09:19 PM
Usually orders come in for places like that within the unit.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-19-09, 09:26 PM
In MOS school you can request overseas but that's it. You'll then go where the Marine Corps decides is best for the Marine Corps.

Troy5000
07-19-09, 09:30 PM
In MOS school you can request overseas but that's it. You'll then go where the Marine Corps decides is best for the Marine Corps.
Thank you very much.

Sergeant M
07-19-09, 11:14 PM
It also depends on what your job is. Find out which units are at Camp Fuji and what MOSs they have there. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it until you get through A school. Why do you want to go to Camp Fuji so badly?

Troy5000
07-20-09, 12:07 AM
It also depends on what your job is. Find out which units are at Camp Fuji and what MOSs they have there. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it until you get through A school. Why do you want to go to Camp Fuji so badly?
I realize it is nothing to worry about at this point but I like to do my research and make sure I have the full picture before I get into something.
I am planning on going into Military Police and I would very much like to be stationed in Japan. I read about the bases in Japan and I was most interested in Camp Fuji. I think it would be great to be able to see Mt. Fuji every day and the base is very close to Tokyo.
I plan to join regardless of where I would be stationed, but being able to go there would be a bonus.

Sergeant M
07-20-09, 12:44 AM
It's a pretty small base, but you could also get stationed in Okinawa, Iwakuni, and Yakota. I wouldn't suggest these places as a first duty station myself, but to each his own.

Skosh59
07-20-09, 04:22 PM
Iwakuni was my favorite duty station, just a short train ride to Hiroshima. :marine:
Keep in mind that it was a few years ago (early sixtys) that I was stationed there; I don't know what it is like to-day.

Donut Brigade
07-21-09, 01:07 AM
Iwakuni was my favorite duty station, just a short train ride to Hiroshima. :marine:
Keep in mind that it was a few years ago (early sixtys) that I was stationed there; I don't know what it is like to-day.

Liberty cards, battle buddies and cinderella curfew.

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 01:17 AM

That's how it is when you first get there. Once you've been on island for a few months you can put in for a gold card. Once you get a gold card you have no curfew restrictions. Once you pick up E-4+ and a gold card you can pretty much do whatever you want. You still can't drink or be in a bar after 0200 regardless of rank or liberty card status. Luckily it's only a 3 hour alcohol hiatus, you can resume your drunken shenanigans at 0500.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-21-09, 01:37 AM

Well, that just sux. I enjoyed Iwakuni. Not sure I would now.

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 02:08 AM
As a Sgt it wouldn't be too bad. I wouldn't suggest it as a first duty station. Marines get a sour taste in their mouths when this is their first impression of the Marine Corps fleet.

marine95
07-21-09, 02:12 AM
Definatly not with the bullsh*t curfews they have on the islands now. What a crock. Thank god I left the island right before they hit them with it.

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 02:24 AM
I was here when we had the full lock down. Noone allowed off their base for any reason unless you used a government vehicle to go to a different base. That was quite miserable. When they finally let us out of our cages, half the bars in Okinawa had shut down permanently.

JWDevilDog
07-21-09, 07:22 AM
As previously implied, you can "pick" either East Coast, West Coast, or Overseas. Sometimes you will get lucky and get your preference. Most of the time, the needs of the Marine Corps will dictate. Another factor is your MOS.

You will not get to pick your first duty station, in terms of specific bases, though. Like I said, you have three "choices." And you may or may not get your choice, depending on many things.

Troy5000
07-21-09, 12:18 PM
How often do you usually have a chance to go off base? I imagine there is a fair ammount of work to do during the week.

Lisa 23
07-21-09, 12:38 PM
First - I see that from your profile, that you are 27 years old. When do you plan on enlisting?
Second - have you talked to a Recruiter yet?
Third - did you take the ASVAB test yet?
Fourth - if you did talk to a Recruiter and have taken the ASVAB, what kind of shape are you in - do you need to lose weight? Do you need to work on your crunches, running and pullups?

I know those who want to enlist in the Marine Corps want to know what things are like in boot camp and then out in the fleet, but there are many other things to worry about and do before you even get to boot camp.
I'm not trying to sound like a smart a$$, but if you don't make it through boot camp, then all these questions will be for nothing. Focus more on talking to a Recruiter and what it takes to get to boot camp, then what goes on after you hit the fleet.

Troy5000
07-21-09, 12:50 PM
First - I see that from your profile, that you are 27 years old. When do you plan on enlisting?
Second - have you talked to a Recruiter yet?
Third - did you take the ASVAB test yet?
Fourth - if you did talk to a Recruiter and have taken the ASVAB, what kind of shape are you in - do you need to lose weight? Do you need to work on your crunches, running and pullups?

I know those who want to enlist in the Marine Corps want to know what things are like in boot camp and then out in the fleet, but there are many other things to worry about and do before you even get to boot camp.
I'm not trying to sound like a smart a$$, but if you don't make it through boot camp, then all these questions will be for nothing. Focus more on talking to a Recruiter and what it takes to get to boot camp, then what goes on after you hit the fleet.
I need to loose some weight and improve my running a little bit and I will be able to enlist. I have spoken to my recruiter a few times and I have taken the practice ASVAB and continue to study out of my ASVAB book at home to make sure I still have a good score when I go to MEPS. I plan to enlist in a couple of months after I get my fitness level and personal affairs in order. It isn't so easy when your not a 19 year old kid living with mom and dad.
I am asking about life after boot camp because I have already had all of my boot camp questions answered, I don't see why this offends you.

Lisa 23
07-21-09, 12:58 PM
First - It doesn't offend me.
Second - I was just asking some questions on if you talked to a Recruiter or not and if you have taken the ASVAB or not.
Third - It just seems that wannabees and poolees worry more about what goes on in the fleet and such then worrying about what it takes to get through boot camp and EARN the title, that's all.

Troy5000
07-21-09, 01:24 PM
Ok. I can totally understand your concern.
I just like to know everything I can up front so I have as few surprises as possible down the road.

Lisa 23
07-21-09, 01:35 PM
Life in general is full of suprises, and life in the Marine Corps, there will be many, many, many suprises! LOL! :)

Donut Brigade
07-21-09, 02:13 PM
I think poolee's concerns about "what goes on in the fleet" are much more justified than "what goes on in boot camp". Everybody already knows what to expect from boot camp, and it's not going to go on for 4 years like the fleet. Poolees NEED to be concerned on what goes down in the fleet; I am seeing more and more comments such as "this isn't really what I wanted to do" from my peers in the fleet than I did in boot camp.

Qwarkeh
07-21-09, 04:07 PM
Bootcamp is three months long, MOS school can be longer than that, and your time in the fleet definitely outweighs both. It's valid to have questions about things that happen after bootcamp. Hell, I'm still in my MOS school and I wish I knew more about my MOS before I got here.

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 05:48 PM
How often do you usually have a chance to go off base? I imagine there is a fair ammount of work to do during the week.

It all depends on your job and what's going on that day. Most of the time I won't go off base during the week, unless it's to grab some GOOD chow (CoCo's) or if it's close to pay day and I want to consume a gratuitous amount of alcohol.

JWDevilDog
07-22-09, 05:24 AM
I agree with Quarkeh and Donut Brigade (nice name, by the way). Not to step on another Marine's toes or anything, but there are thousands of threads on this site about life in Boot Camp. It is the easiest subject to get questions answered by doing a search.

Questions about the Fleet, on the other hand, are slightly less common.

And yes, the emphasis above is added for intended effect.

In terms of going off base, yes you should be able to most nights. As stated, it depends on your MOS and what kinds of missions/operations you have going on. It also depends on whether or not your unit wants to f*ck up and get their liberty secured.