PDA

View Full Version : A ride to remember

thedrifter
07-19-09, 07:49 AM
A ride to remember
Cyclists honor Cpl. Brandon Hardy and others who've served and sacrificed for America.
Sunday News
Jul 19, 2009 00:12 EST

By MANDY STOLTZFUS, Staff Writer
There is nothing quite like the glitter of chrome and the thunder-like roar of more than 180 motorcycles, except maybe the goosebumps felt because it's a ride in the name of a fallen Marine.

Saturday morning was the fourth memorial scholarship ride in honor of Cpl. Brandon M. Hardy, a Marine killed in Al Anbar, Iraq, four years ago.

"There are no words to describe what this is like," said Jill Hardy, Brandon's mom, looking over the Gap Fire Company parking lot, where the bikes were lined up.

She and Brandon's dad, Warren, established the scholarship in his memory to give money to young men and women entering all branches of the military. The money goes to non-issued supplies.

"This is a great event," said ride organizer Chad Miller, a cousin of Brandon's.

Jill initially worried that the weather would adversely affect the ride, but said she put her trust in God.

"He is greater than the weather forecast," she said. "It's just about honoring the troops, past and present, that have sacrificed for their country."

Her younger son, Lance Cpl. Chad Hardy, is also serving in the Marines at Camp Lejeune, N.C., and got leave for the weekend to come to the event.

The ride was about 106 miles long. Cyclists left from Gap, traveled to Smaltz's Harley-Davidson shop in Eagle, Chester County, continued to Herr's potato chip factory in Nottingham, and then went past Brandon's gravesite at Calvary Monument Bible Church, Paradise.

"That's my favorite part of the ride," Jill said, smiling through her tears. "It's just great as a mom. Everyone slows down to about 10 miles per hour out of respect. It's just really neat because everyone truly is here for this reason."

There were myriad bikes, from Harley-Davidsons with all the extras to sports bikes of all colors. Riders were all ages: men, women and teenagers, who rode as passengers. The event concluded with a meal at the fire hall.

Sam and Sandi Zook, of Atglen, have come to the ride since it began. This year they volunteered in the kitchen, helping prepare the lunch of chicken and baked beans.

"This is the biggest turnout yet," said Sandi, noting that organizers even ran out of beans.

Tom and Sandra Waterland, of Hershey, have a daughter and son-in-law who serve in the Marine Corps. They were glad to be a part of the ride, along with their friends, Randy and Barb Etzweiler, of Lancaster. The Etzweilers' son is serving at the Pentagon.

"It's really neat to have all these people come out and to see this," said Sandra. "We're proud to be part of it."

Katie Lapp and her family, of New Holland, participate every year. She and her sisters take turns riding with their dad.

"For us it's about showing support to those who served," said Katie, who was a cousin of Brandon's. "It's just awesome to see everyone come out. It's really important to us."

There is also a memorial ride today in Washington state for the same scholarship. A girl who served in the Air Force with Brandon organized the West Coast event. Riders there leave from Idaho and end in Spokane, Wash.

At the Gap Fire Company, there was a memorial wall dedicated to military members killed in action from Pennsylvania and six surrounding states. There was also a large picture of Brandon in the back of the truck he used to drive.

The memorial was designed by Timothy Wright, of Cochranville, and was made possible by donations from local Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion posts.

"My goal until the day I die is to do this for my son and the country he served," Jill said.

"Our goal is to glorify God and honor Brandon," she added, showing her sponsorship T-shirt which read: "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith" (2 Timothy 4:7).

For more information, visit www.cplbrandonhardy.com. All event proceeds benefit the Cpl. Brandon M. Hardy Memorial Scholarship Fund c/o Octorara Area School District, 228 Highland Road, Suite 1, Atglen, PA 19310.

Mandy Stoltzfus is a Sunday News staff writer. E-mail her at mstoltzfus@lnpnews.com.

Ellie