PDA

View Full Version : Taking time to honor, comfort

thedrifter
07-19-09, 06:49 AM
Taking time to honor, comfort
July 19, 2009 3:42 am

By CATHY DYSON

Every morning, Janet Skerry checks Web sites to see if any members of the military have died.

The Stafford County woman doesn't delight in dealing with death. But if soldiers, sailors or Marines have given their lives defending her freedom, Skerry plans to honor their sacrifice.

"If they put themselves in harm's way, I need to take the time to remember them," she said.

Skerry and friend Wendy Money put together condolence books for families of the fallen. They've assembled 22 scrapbook-type albums in the past year, filling each with letters of sympathy from total strangers.

Four books were for Virginia families; the rest went across the country.

Many of the writers have a connection to the armed forces like Skerry and Money, whose sons are Marine lance corporals.

Some have lost husbands or children in Iraq or Afghanistan. Others don't know a soul in uniform, but still want to pay their respects.

The books speak volumes, said Kimberly Rigsby of Manassas. Her son, Marine Lance Cpl. Robert Legassie, 21, was killed in a March car crash while stationed at Camp Lejeune.

Skerry and Money attended his funeral and told Rigsby they had a condolence book for her. They delivered it three months later, and the women sat and listened as Rigsby shared stores of her son.

"When Bobby died, my mind was kind of scattered, so this book really helps me," Rigsby said. "A few of the pages [are] close to what I felt losing Bobby, and it's really nice to hear that people are grateful for his service.

"It is quite a comfort."

The condolence books are only one way Skerry and Money pay tribute to their children and others like them.

The two met soon after Skerry's son, Lewis, went to boot camp, and she had little communication with him.

The mother had been used to calls, e-mails or text messages from her son. During boot camp, he could only write letters.

She felt as if she were stuck in a scene from "The Waltons."

"You sit by your mailbox and hope," Skerry said.

As Skerry anguished, she kept in contact with a gunnery sergeant who also knew Money. The sergeant suggested the two talk.

They did, and Skerry learned about various online message boards for Marine families. She posted a few comments and asked if anyone in the Fredericksburg area would like to meet.

As much as Skerry uses the computer for communication--she works on military matters about two hours a day--she prefers a more personal approach.

A few mothers got together, and Skerry decided to call the new support group Virginia Military Families. It's open to anyone, but it's mostly women who meet on the second Thursday or Friday of each month at the Central Park IHOP at 6:30 p.m.

July's meeting included 10 mothers who shared updates about their children. One has a son in the Georgia National Guard and a husband in Afghanistan. Another has a daughter heading to boot camp, while others have children serving in non-combat zones.

Alice Taylor's son, Will, did two tours of duty in Iraq and is no longer in the Marines, but she still attends the meetings because she enjoys the camaraderie.

Karen Ehrhard belongs to Virginia Military Families and a second group--Blue Star Mothers of America.

"The support available in Fredericksburg is incredible," she said.

During the monthly meetings, Skerry puts a basket on the table for donations toward the condolence books. Each costs about $30, plus shipping.

She plans to continue sharing her sympathies with mothers and fathers whose children die in military service, no matter what career path her son takes.

"I found my niche of what I can do to help," she said. "I plan on continuing whether Lewis gets out or not."

Cathy Dyson: 540/374-5425
Email: cdyson@freelancestar.com

Virginia Military Families: Alternates meetings between the second Thursday and Friday at 6:30 p.m. at the Central Park IHOP. Contact Janet Skerry at 540/899-4988 or vamilitaryfamilies@gmail.com. Blue Star Mothers of America: Meets the fourth Saturday at 9:30 a.m. at Salem Church Library. Contact Christine DePoyster at 540/834-2475 or bluestarfredericksburg@gmail .com.

Janet Skerry and Wendy Money, members of Virginia Military Families, have found various ways to show support for the troops.

At airports or other public places, they give out American Hero Cards, which thank military members and families for their service.

For families of the fallen, they present condolence books as well as Hearts for Heroes, embroidered gold stars, and Dog Tags, polished tags featuring engraved names and photos. LandersInks, a gift company in Oklahoma, donates one to each family. If a member's parents are divorced, Skerry and Money pay $35 to order a second set, so each parent has a tag.

Money also found a company that donates garden Stepping stones in memory of deceased military members.

"There are so many organizations out there willing to do something," Money said. "You just have to find them."

Ellie