PDA

View Full Version : Marines, friends serve together in Afghanistan

thedrifter
07-19-09, 06:33 AM
July 17, 2009
Marines, friends serve together in Afghanistan

By Kellie Geist
kgeist@communitypress.com

It's always easier to get by with a little help from your friends, especially when you're more than 7,000 miles away from home.

Lance Cpl. Aaron "Danny" Ruck, Lance Cpl. Brent Becker, and Lance Cpl. Corey Moss, all from Clermont County, served together in Afghanistan providing security along a stretch of road used to smuggle drugs and weapons into Iran.

Ruck and Moss graduated from New Richmond High School together and the two met Becker, from Goshen, during training.

Ruck and Moss had hoped they'd be deployed together and, although they were originally separated after boot camp, they found themselves in the same company upon deployment. Becker also was in the same company.

"It was definitely good to have people we could talk to about things back home and share memories of home with," Ruck said.

Ruck found that support especially important when he was injured.

The three were out on an operation together, but all in separate convoys. Around midnight, Ruck's convoy, the last in the line, hit an improvised explosive device.

"Danny and I got to be real close before we left ... When I saw his truck was on fire, I couldn't do anything. I froze and my stomach dropped out," Becker said. "Then someone came up to me and said, 'Danny wanted me to tell you that he's all right.' After that, I could do my job."

After the explosion, Ruck spent about three weeks in a hospital for treatment for shrapnel and second-degree burns. He was awarded the Purple Heart for his service.

"I was lucky I walked away from it," Ruck said.

Second to the support of friendship, the Marines said they also appreciated care packages.

Becker said sometimes they got so many care packages that the others in their company would get jealous.

"One time there was a whole trailer of care packages just for us, but we shared them around," Becker said.

He added that some of the best things to receive in a care package included drink mixes, snack crackers and, of course, Skyline Chili.

"Knowing you're being supported from home makes a world of difference when you're in a combat zone," Becker said. "It makes it easier to cope because you know people are thinking of you."Moss could not be reached for comment.

The three were honored for their service during the Clermont County commissioner's meeting June 24.

"It's important to show them how much we appreciate and honor their service and sacrifice in defending our freedom," said Commissioner Bob Proud. "The things they do and the sacrifices they make are absolutely awesome. They definitely deserve to be honored."

Proud asks that anyone in the military who is getting ready to be deployed or is returning from deployment call 732-7300 to set up a time to be introduced and honored at a commissioners' meeting.

Ellie