PDA

View Full Version : Army DUC or Army PUC?

vmfn513
07-18-09, 02:14 PM
In Korea the 1st Marine Division and 1st MAW were awarded The Army DUC(Distinguisted Unit Citation). Later( late sizties the title was changed to Army PUC. Which is the proper designation for the earlier award. Not imperitive, just curious. What do I tell the Grand children?:confused::confused:

vmfn513

Petz
07-18-09, 02:35 PM
um... I'd call it the PUC... all the services call them that now... it'll keep the confusion of the grand-children to a minimum if they choose to do some research on you later.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-19-09, 10:36 PM
The Army citation was established as the Distinguished Unit Citation on 26 February 1942, and received its present name on 3 November 1966. As with other Army unit citations, the PUC is in a larger frame that is worn above the right pocket. All members of the unit may wear the decoration, whether or not they personally participated in the acts for which the unit was cited. Only those assigned to the unit at the time of the action cited may wear the decoration as a permanent award.

For the Army and Air Force, the emblem itself is a solid blue ribbon enclosed in a gold frame (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_frame).

Basically, they just changed the name when the services started trying to make 'unit level' awards the same across the board.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/db/AF_Presidential_Unit_Citation_Ribbon.png/140px-AF_Presidential_Unit_Citation_Ribbon.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AF_Presidential_Unit_Citation_Ribbon.png)

Petz
07-20-09, 01:22 PM
really.... so it doesn't replace the DUC?

IDontWheeze
07-20-09, 02:42 PM
My grandfather was a Korean War Marine Corporal, and I loved and respected him like a second father. He passed away in Spring 2006. He was one of the Frozen Chosun, and receipient of two Purple Hearts and the DUC. He recieved Marine Corps Honors and the 13 Folds of the Flag at his burial. His Marine Burial Plaque (I don't know if the term "Marine Burial Plaque" is correct, and do I apologize and hope to be corrected if it is not - I just know my father got it from the Marine Corps or DOD, and my grandfather has a regular headstone along with the Burial Plaque) says "Presidential Unit Citation". As is usual of real combat vets, I never knew of any details of his time in Korea, other than 1. he was there and 2. he had 2 Purple Hearts and 3. He HATED camping because of his time in Korea, until the last few weeks of his life. I can not even pretend to imagine what he went through, or why anyone who has seen combat would want to talk about it to someone who has not.

I am not a Marine, and I don't know if it is appropriate for me to post here. I do regret never having been given the chance to try to earn the title of United States Marine, but I would like to thank all of you brave Marines for a job well done in defending our great nation and keeping my family safe. ANY United States Marine, personal friend or previously unknown, gets nothing but the utmost respect from me. I will never cease to be amazed by that "it" factor that my Papa and his friends from the Marines had, or that same "it" factor that my personal friends in The Marine Corps today have about them now. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I'm just letting the Marines on the site know what I have seen on a Burial Plaque given to a Korean War Marine with a "Presidential Unit Citation" award.

Godspeed Marines!!

Sgt Leprechaun
07-21-09, 01:33 AM
really.... so it doesn't replace the DUC?

No, it does replace it. The ribbons are one and the same, just the title is different, that's all.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-21-09, 01:34 AM
My grandfather was a Korean War Marine Corporal, and I loved and respected him like a second father. He passed away in Spring 2006. He was one of the Frozen Chosun, and receipient of two Purple Hearts and the DUC. He recieved Marine Corps Honors and the 13 Folds of the Flag at his burial. His Marine Burial Plaque (I don't know if the term "Marine Burial Plaque" is correct, and do I apologize and hope to be corrected if it is not - I just know my father got it from the Marine Corps or DOD, and my grandfather has a regular headstone along with the Burial Plaque) says "Presidential Unit Citation". As is usual of real combat vets, I never knew of any details of his time in Korea, other than 1. he was there and 2. he had 2 Purple Hearts and 3. He HATED camping because of his time in Korea, until the last few weeks of his life. I can not even pretend to imagine what he went through, or why anyone who has seen combat would want to talk about it to someone who has not.

I am not a Marine, and I don't know if it is appropriate for me to post here. I do regret never having been given the chance to try to earn the title of United States Marine, but I would like to thank all of you brave Marines for a job well done in defending our great nation and keeping my family safe. ANY United States Marine, personal friend or previously unknown, gets nothing but the utmost respect from me. I will never cease to be amazed by that "it" factor that my Papa and his friends from the Marines had, or that same "it" factor that my personal friends in The Marine Corps today have about them now. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I'm just letting the Marines on the site know what I have seen on a Burial Plaque given to a Korean War Marine with a "Presidential Unit Citation" award.

Godspeed Marines!!

Darned nice thing to say and post. You are very welcome. AND, welcome to our site. Don't be a stranger. And I LOVE the picture.

Petz
07-21-09, 11:05 AM
No, it does replace it. The ribbons are one and the same, just the title is different, that's all.

I think you confused me there... I'll bow out of this one...

GIrene
07-21-09, 06:48 PM
Yeah history HERE (http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Awards/PRESIDENTIAL%20UNIT%20CITATION%201.html)
From the Army's Institute of Heraldry. It was the DUC then renamed the PUC.

There is also the Meritorious Unit Commendation (http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Awards/MERITORIOUS%20UNIT%20COMMENDATION1.html)

Sgt Leprechaun
07-21-09, 08:25 PM
I think you confused me there... I'll bow out of this one...

Believe me, unless you are familiar with this stuff it IS confusing so you aren't the only one!

:)

IDontWheeze
07-22-09, 09:12 AM
Darned nice thing to say and post. You are very welcome. AND, welcome to our site. Don't be a stranger. And I LOVE the picture.

Thank you sir, but I'm just giving respect where respect is due....yeah the pic is of my son obviously enjoying some chocolate cake this past easter:D. If it weren't for the Marine Corps I would not even be alive. After his time in Korea, my grandfather served out his enlistment at NAS South Weymouth, MA, and he met my grandmother at a social function on base. He moved to MA from Michigan to get hitched and the rest is well, history. A true Marine Corps love story I guess. ;)