PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

PoolieDK
07-18-09, 01:25 PM
I'm a poolie set to leave in the first week of September. I shoot right handed but my right eye is bad I've never worn glasses until a couple of months ago. I would like to get lasik eye surgery my recreiter says that its a six month DQ. I'm going in as an 0311. I would like to be a scout sniper. What do you think I should do.

Lisa 23
07-18-09, 01:52 PM
It's amazing what you can find when you type Lasik Surgery into the search bar. These are just a few to start off with.

Eye Surgery?
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83488&highlight=lasik+surgery

Lasik Surgery While In DEP
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68762&highlight=lasik+surgery

fjmas1976
07-18-09, 02:13 PM
What do you mean your eye is bad? It must be good enough to pass the eye exam at MEPS? Also, worry about earning the Title before you think about becoming a Sniper.

Quinbo
07-18-09, 02:29 PM
You can and should shoot wearing your corrective lenses. I don't think in boot camp you are allowed the option of whether you do or do not wear your glasses to the range. If your glasses improves your vision in your right eye then there is nothing to worry about.

Warbyrd13
07-18-09, 02:29 PM
Just becuase you wear glasses dose not mean you can't shoot.

If you are worried about if wearing glasses will bring you more attention by the DIs the answer is no. The DIs will give equal thrashing to all the nasty recruits until you walk across the parade deck and have earned the right to be called Marine.

Petz
07-18-09, 02:33 PM
we had a guy who was far sighting and shot better without his glasses... it was funny as hell... but those kinds of things are dealt with by you and your coach... not your DI.

just do as you're told and the rest will come... do the lasik after you're in....

Supersquishy
07-18-09, 02:44 PM
Had a couple of recruits wear glasses during rifle range, and that was the only time they wore their glasses. I wish I could do the same, I was blind as a bat and had to wear them full time. Don't get eye surgery until after you hit the fleet, thats my advice. Focus on passing bootcamp first.

Donut Brigade
07-18-09, 04:11 PM
Well on the downside, it's a six month DQ. And you don't really need LASIK to pass Table I/II/III. But think about the things that come after. You are going to become a grunt and deploy to Afghanistan where you will be outside the wire for months at a time (theoretically speaking, of course). Perhaps you will become a sniper. Everything breaks in the field, your glasses may be the first ones to go. Think of how long the replacement will take, or if it ever will. Or think of trying to wear glasses while using NVGs. Think about not having to have expensive prescription ballistic shades (contacts are not an option in the field). To me, getting LASIK and waiting a few months seems like a good idea.

Getting the title and become a Marine should be your priorities, but only a fool would not plan ahead. Just some food for thought.

Petz
07-18-09, 04:54 PM
DB... with the back log of people wanting to join, he'd have to work a deal out with another poolee from his area to swap ship dates with... or be at risk of not shipping until his year is up in the dep....

dizark
07-18-09, 07:10 PM
I'm right handed but am left eye dominant because of poor vision in my right eye. All I did on the range was shoot left handed. Takes some getting used to but I did well.

scifguard
07-18-09, 08:00 PM
I would like to be a scout sniper.

You and every other poolie.

PoolieDK
07-18-09, 10:24 PM
thank you all who posted you have given me a lot to think about.

Lisa 23
07-18-09, 10:27 PM
By the way, you better fill out the rest of your profile.

teuffelhunden
07-19-09, 11:53 AM
just concentrate on earning the Title first. Get your eyes fixed after you get tp the fleet. Relax and do as you are told on the range and you should be fine. Good Luck in Boot Camp.

Sergeant M
07-19-09, 11:26 PM
Shoot left-handed. Have the military pay for your Lasik. Don't worry about being a sniper until you find out what it actually entails. Some guys love humping with a pack, and some guys don't.