PDA

View Full Version : Your story of getting back in

Petz
07-18-09, 11:20 AM
So, tell us what you went through to get back in... AD,AR,SMCR are all welcome to be told here.

I ask that you don't complain about your recruiters... but it is acceptable to complain about the process.

NoRemorse
07-18-09, 01:41 PM
5 months waiting on word from BuMed that I wouldn't need a BuMed waiver...

fjmas1976
07-18-09, 02:10 PM
A lot of trial and error. More photocopying and faxing. The first round was a failure, with no success. I'm currently regrouping and gearing up to give it another go. Anything worth having is worth the work and effort.

Semper Fi:usmc:

Supersquishy
07-18-09, 02:15 PM
TBD, I will definitely let you know every single detail of my adventure as soon as I swear in. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.

GREY MATTER
08-07-09, 05:25 PM
my coming back in was pretty painless, i guess it helps that the prior service recruiter was in my shop. the hardest thing is as a reservist they dont tell you jack squat about anything.
i started out AD, then went AR, then got in a motorcycle accident that broke my leg so they fast tracked me out without ever giving e the chance to prove i could run a pft.
so now im a reservist and plan on augmenting back to active duty once i pin on staff, so i can go to a deploying squadron.

Petz
08-07-09, 05:36 PM
well, we've got plenty of folks who can help you out in getting back in from the reserves... I'm one of them.

GREY MATTER
08-08-09, 12:09 AM
well, we've got plenty of folks who can help you out in getting back in from the reserves... I'm one of them.

if you are referring to me, im already back in i swore in about a month or so ago. and they have yet to give me any details on when and how i start drilling...im on the IMA DET

Erico2069
08-11-09, 12:24 PM
It all depends on your recruiter Id say, I got done active duty and had to get back surgery, the surgery I had DQ'ed me from being in the Marine Corps. However I was determined to get back in, and my Prior service recruiter was determined to help me out, which was awesome. It took about a month to get the waiver and all the paperwork completed to let me back in, it really wasnt that painstaking, just had to see a few Navy DR's, and they were more then happy to help me out when they saw how determined I was to get back in. Once the DR's signed me clear I had to run a CFT and that was about it, now I am in the reserves contemplating going back to active.

Pete0331
08-11-09, 04:14 PM
Working on it.
Looking for a billet right now for IMA.

flyby
08-11-09, 11:19 PM
I know that this is for those who went back AD from the Reserves but I was wondering how the process was for those getting back into the Reserves before going AD? Was it a smoother/faster process then going active from reserves? I'm starting the process to get into the reserves. Thanks!

Petz
08-11-09, 11:50 PM
it's the same... easy enough to get into the reserves, especially if you're still in the IRR... then going active duty is just a matter of talking to a recruiter and getting a conditional release from your command. MOBCOM will get it in a week but your reserve command could take a month or two... they will have it expire at the end of your current contract so... be warned. next time put these questions in the right thread... I got one for every possibility.

flyby
08-12-09, 04:18 AM
So, tell us what you went through to get back in... AD,AR,SMCR are all welcome to be told here.

I ask that you don't complain about your recruiters... but it is acceptable to complain about the process.

I posted the question here because the statement "AD,AR,SMCR are all welcome to be told here", implies as such! Thanks for the information.

Petz
08-12-09, 08:32 AM
perhaps I'm confused... were you telling your story on HOW you got back in or were you posing a question about going from the reserves to AD?

Scubadvr1999
08-13-09, 07:06 AM
I have been trying to augment from reserve to active since about january and all I am doing is hitting dead ends. i had all my paperwork done and went to turn it in to the BUF RS and they told me that the usmc is not accepting any reservists augmenting to active til Jan 1. does this make any sence to anyone. I am even trying to get into EOD and they stil wont let me go. If anyone has any insight or way to help me out that would be greatly appreciated...

Petz
08-13-09, 08:02 AM
go here... this is your story on getting back in... not where you ask questions...

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87559

Cpl Yu
08-24-09, 05:38 AM
I finally reenlisted on 20090821 after a year of waiting and trial and error.
I reenlisted for 3 years in SMCR/IRR and await mobilization order from MOBCOM to Afghanistan with 1MEF.

Here is my story:

I was medically retired with service connected injuries on 20061130 after 3 years of active duty service. After transferring to TDRL with 30%, I went to VA and got an combine disabled rating of 50%. After working for a private security consultant company for about 6 months, I applied for NYPD and got hire in 2007. Work as a police officer for over 2 years now, but something is missing. On my 18th months, I had a reevulation for my TDRL case. I went down to Bethesda, MD. I was able to show the doctor(s) that I am fully capable to carry out my duties and eager to go back into the service. Well, even though the doctors wrote a very nice evulations for me, three weeks afterwards, I received a letter from PEB stating that I will be transfer from TDRL to PDRL. I wrote a letter explaining that I am perfectly fit to carry out my duties as a Marine and my MOS. Shortly afterwards, I received another letter from PEB stating I've been granted to return to service on 20080801.

Since Aug 1st, 2008, I've been trying to come back into the Corps. It isn't easy as it sounded to be. People always think that all they have to do is get that "return to service" letter and the next day, they would reenlist. Keep in mind that I still have contract time till 2011, but that doesn't apply for this matter, and I would still have to reenlist with a new set of contract.

I must have done a physical/medical for like 3 times. Twice with the unit and once with MEPS. I've also signed a whole bunch of paperwork, checking into a unit, met the C.O,/SgtMaj/MGySgt at least twice, and harrased the $hit out of my recruiter on a weekly basis.

Well, I am glad it's all over, but as one journey ends, another have begun. This is my second chance in the Marine Corps. I do plan on doing whatever I have in mind before I am either too old or too slow to do them.

Once again, Semper Fi!

MontezumaCpl
08-24-09, 01:30 PM
Ooh-Rah Cpl Yu!

Stay Safe and Semper Fi!

Petz
08-25-09, 08:26 PM
congratulations! it's all worth it isn't it?

Cpl Yu
08-26-09, 03:49 AM
I do hope so...