PDA

View Full Version : Deployment question

RayNoll
07-18-09, 02:44 AM
My recruiter gave me a goal of 29 july to study my math to get my ASVAB score up from a 43 to a 50(that's why i didn't register as poole/dep). Anyway, I was plan on going Grunt and wanted to know if my chances of getting deployed would be greater with this MOS ? :tank: and if there was a post about this please tell me, i don't know how to use the search button.

Warbyrd13
07-18-09, 06:42 AM
First you need to go and get the book" ASVAB" for dummies. There are several books that help you prepare for it. It takes more than just studing math to help you pass.

Second your deployment will depend on your unit rotation not your MOS. However 03xx has only 1 purpose in the Marines.

teuffelhunden
07-18-09, 07:31 AM
You need to concentrate on first passing the ASVAB and then Earning the title MARINE before you even consider your deployment schedule. You must be a MARINE before you can deploy. Concentrate on that first.

RayNoll
07-18-09, 09:59 AM
yes, I have ASVAB for dummies, and I have been studying, I just been looking ahead, because i am a very determined person and not letting ANYTHING **** me over from earning the Title. :evilgrin:

RayNoll
07-18-09, 10:03 AM
First you need to go and get the book" ASVAB" for dummies. There are several books that help you prepare for it. It takes more than just studing math to help you pass.

Second your deployment will depend on your unit rotation not your MOS. However 03xx has only 1 purpose in the Marines.

if it takes more then studying for the ASVAB, why am i studying the ASVAB for dummies, the recruiter told me, i just needed to study MK and AR for the next 2 weeks and I should be able to get the 7 points I need. Just got bad study habits because never really studied that much in my life.

NoRemorse
07-18-09, 10:08 AM
The Sgt said it takes more than studying math; not studying for the ASVAB period.

You should try to bring all of your scores up; you'll have a larger range of available MOS choices once those open up in FY10.

Reading comprehension is extremely important; work on that and you'll see more of your marks come up across the board.

For some of the other areas they're looking for a basic level of aptitude. I used the military site's practice exams and was very pleased with the amount of information retained in my brain housing group. Work on it.

RayNoll
07-18-09, 10:20 AM
The Sgt said it takes more than studying math; not studying for the ASVAB period.

You should try to bring all of your scores up; you'll have a larger range of available MOS choices once those open up in FY10.

Reading comprehension is extremely important; work on that and you'll see more of your marks come up across the board.

For some of the other areas they're looking for a basic level of aptitude. I used the military site's practice exams and was very pleased with the amount of information retained in my brain housing group. Work on it.

I did both grammar, he told me to slow it down because i only got 3 wrong or somthing like that, it took me like 5 mins to complete both grammar sections, so thats why he told me to relax on that but to focus on my math, he said "i bet your having trouble with the equations, so I want you to study for atleast 2 hrs a day until your goal date(29 of july)". But then again i guess studying isn't reading a chapter and then trying to take a test, i gotta keep reading and learning to retain it in my noggin, right?

NoRemorse
07-18-09, 10:22 AM
I did both grammar, he told me to slow it down because i only got 3 wrong or somthing like that, it took me like 5 mins to complete both grammar sections, so thats why he told me to relax on that but to focus on my math, he said "i bet your having trouble with the equations, so I want you to study for atleast 2 hrs a day until your goal date(29 of july)".

Oddly enough reading comprehension will help with that. most of the questions are dependent on your level of reading comprehension (the wording is tricky for a reason, especially with word problems).

The real ASVAB is a different monster compared to the practice version. Taking your time is definetely good advice.

RayNoll
07-18-09, 10:04 PM
Oddly enough reading comprehension will help with that. most of the questions are dependent on your level of reading comprehension (the wording is tricky for a reason, especially with word problems).

The real ASVAB is a different monster compared to the practice version. Taking your time is definetely good advice.

Oh damn, okay so does that mean the REAL deal, i will have more of a chance to get below a score of 50? basically, what do you mean by its a Monster? tuff or just long?

NoRemorse
07-18-09, 10:45 PM
It's longer and it can be harder if you don't take your time thoroughly reading the instructions and questions themselves.

Shoot higher than 50. Get used to shooting higher for everything if you want to be a Marine.

RayNoll
07-19-09, 12:18 AM
alright, understood:evilgrin:. thank you

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 12:59 AM
Hey RayNoll, did you know that the city you're living in, is spelled the same way that Japanese people pronounce Loserville?

marine95
07-21-09, 02:08 AM
RayNoll,

All that 50 does is give the recruiter a big head for enlisting an "Alpha" and not a "Bravo". It's all stats. The odds on an Alpha finishing a 4 year contract is better. To be honest (former Recruiter) all you need is a 35 to get in. It helps if your other line scores were high though. I had people enlist with a 35 but when it came to electrical and mechanical, they scored through the roof. I never lied to my applicants, and they shouldn't lie to you. Especially if your trying to go the 03xx field. (Map skills)

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 02:11 AM
Yep. You could be border line retarded (which you may be), to be a grunt.

RayNoll
07-21-09, 02:30 AM
Hey RayNoll, did you know that the city you're living in, is spelled the same way that Japanese people pronounce Loserville?
lmao, no i didn't know that :nerd:

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 02:34 AM
lmao, no i didn't know that :nerd:

More quality education on Leatherneck dot com. Improving international relations one LBFM at a time.

RayNoll
07-21-09, 02:35 AM
RayNoll,

All that 50 does is give the recruiter a big head for enlisting an "Alpha" and not a "Bravo". It's all stats. The odds on an Alpha finishing a 4 year contract is better. To be honest (former Recruiter) all you need is a 35 to get in. It helps if your other line scores were high though. I had people enlist with a 35 but when it came to electrical and mechanical, they scored through the roof. I never lied to my applicants, and they shouldn't lie to you. Especially if your trying to go the 03xx field. (Map skills)

Alright, so i'm confused, they are telling me i need a 50, to **** with me?:devious:, or to get me to try harder? The Recruiter had said something about the Marine Corps holding me to a higher standard, since I was home schooled. And If I get below a 50, will I not qualify for 03xx? My recruiter and I, have yet to bring up MOS.

RayNoll
07-21-09, 02:36 AM
More quality education on Leatherneck dot com. Improving international relations one LBFM at a time.
yeah, to hell with public schools, lots of edumacation on here :scared:

marine95
07-21-09, 02:37 AM
RayNoll,

I was a Recruiter from 2004 to 2007. There are a lot of things that you probably don't know.

RayNoll
07-21-09, 02:38 AM
Yep. You could be border line retarded (which you may be), to be a grunt.
I doubt you care, but I thought it was funny how you posted something about Grunts at 03:11 am :p

RayNoll
07-21-09, 02:40 AM
RayNoll,

I was a Recruiter from 2004 to 2007. There are a lot of things that you probably don't know.

Oh okay, I thought it was like, they tell me I need a 50, If I can't make it, then they put me in like the 2% GEDs Allowed or whatever. So should I not say anything to my recruiter, just go see if I can get the 50 or not ?

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 02:41 AM
If you were homeschooled, or have a GED that puts you on a different Tier. You should try to get as high on your ASVAB as possible anyways, since it gives you more options as to what kind of jobs you can get.

RayNoll
07-21-09, 02:43 AM
If you were homeschooled, or have a GED that puts you on a different Tier. You should try to get as high on your ASVAB as possible anyways, since it gives you more options as to what kind of jobs you can get.
Yeah, I was homeschooled, BUT getting a Diploma, or does the Marine Corps not care about that ? I am going to try my hardest either way.

marine95
07-21-09, 02:46 AM
Lets be real for a min. For a mission contract and a direct shipper, your command would be crazy not to put you in. Yeah it's a different teir, but your command most likely hasn't put many of that teir in anyway. Remember, a Sgt Majors goal is for the applicant to ship to boot camp. And yes pass the IST. My old Sgt Major shipped a kid that couldn't do 1 pull-up. But the State made it's shipping mission.

RayNoll
07-21-09, 02:57 AM
Lets be real for a min. For a mission contract and a direct shipper, your command would be crazy not to put you in. Yeah it's a different teir, but your command most likely hasn't put many of that teir in anyway. Remember, a Sgt Majors goal is for the applicant to ship to boot camp. And yes pass the IST. My old Sgt Major shipped a kid that couldn't do 1 pull-up. But the State made it's shipping mission.
Oh okay, that is good to hear on my end. I know 2 guys that were in the same Home schooling organization I was in that got in, I doubt that matters. Thanks.

marine95
07-21-09, 02:59 AM
When are you going to get your diploma? That makes a big difference when they present it to meps. It will look like you sat through a traditional high school then and you will be a Teir I and not a III. A recruiter is a selling machine so get the diploma and it's all gravy from there.

RayNoll
07-21-09, 03:22 AM
Okay, I have to send in for my diploma, my evaluator sent my papers to me, so i should be getting them soon, then I send papers in and I gotta wait 30 days, But i'm going to try to get it sooner, because the sooner I get it, the sooner I can go to MEPS and get to Boot :evilgrin:

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 05:00 AM
If you had a good recruiter, he could make you a fake one in about 10 mins... damn these Marine Corps morals...

RayNoll
07-21-09, 05:11 AM
If you had a good recruiter, he could make you a fake one in about 10 mins... damn these Marine Corps morals...
Lol, that would be amazing if he could, but i doubt he will, unless he wants to get me in ASAP. ;)

Sergeant M
07-21-09, 05:20 AM
If you talked to an Army recruiter, he would forge you one in seconds. Hmmm.. that's an idea, get the Army faggot to work for you, then go back the the Marine Recruiter... haha

RayNoll
07-21-09, 06:07 AM
Great ****ing plan :nerd:. Nah, I will never step foot in that panzee hole.:sick:

NoRemorse
07-21-09, 07:06 AM
Regulate your language, future poolee, and don't drop jokes on the doggies till you've earned your own title.

RayNoll
07-21-09, 07:36 AM
Regulate your language, future poolee, and don't drop jokes on the doggies till you've earned your own title.
alright and alright :cry:

NoRemorse
07-21-09, 07:38 AM
alright and alright :cry:

You'll learn some military customs and courtesy today.

In place of using alright and alright without proper capitalization you'll render a crisp "Aye, PFC!"

There are no sad smileys in the Marine Corps.

RayNoll
07-21-09, 07:43 AM
You'll learn some military customs and courtesy today.

In place of using alright and alright without proper capitalization you'll render a crisp "Aye, PFC!"

There are no sad smileys in the Marine Corps.
AYE, PFC !!! :evilgrin:

angryplant
07-08-16, 06:12 AM
Should you get that far, 03s deploy. A lot. Good luck.

USMC 2571
07-08-16, 06:34 AM
This thread is 7 years old, so the other folks are probably done with their deployments and even their enlistments. It's never too late to post on a thread, though. I've seen threads 11 years old asking for recommendations for restaurants in Chicago and someone comes along 11 years later giving them a great great place to eat! and lo and behold, the original poster has not only left Chicago but has passed from this world into the next. But the post remains, and may be useful to others. So it's never too late to post.