PDA

View Full Version : Reservist awaiting active duty, help

HCBillich
07-17-09, 01:36 PM
My husband and I have a three year old and have another one on the wy. He has been unable to make enough money working as a civilian and doing his reserve duty. We decided to go active, and had the papers signed and handed in 8 months ago, and resubmitted and signed 2 months ago. We currently live with family and it seems like we are falling more adn more into the hole. Is there anything that he can do while awaiting active duty. It seems to be taking forever and we are in such a bind right now. He has never been deployed before and is an E3 in logistics. Is there anything to speed up the process? They never seem to have answers for him and his Cpl barely even answers the phone when he tries to call. What can we do?

William Hardy
07-17-09, 01:58 PM
Sounds like a tough situation...wish I could help but I don't have anything to offer. All I know is that the paperwork has to be processed. I went through a similar process on the reserve side when I came out of retirement and went back in the activce reserves. The longest wait was getting the old files out of moth balls.

All I can say is "best of luck"
SF

Live and Learn
07-17-09, 02:59 PM
I am going through a similiar senario with an AR package. I have hit every road block there is. It has taken months only because Marines seem to go on leave once my package hits their desk, that has happened three times. I got approved for AR once then had to change my MOS choices and then had the resubmit putting my package on the bottom even though it had already been approved.

I had to fixed multi fitreps. I had two from years ago that my RO and RS had but never submitted. It took my CC'ing MMSB for them to finally take action. Literially years of emaisl back and forth and one email to MMSB they got scared and submitted it. Then I found another gap. I demobilized from a unit in December but the unit failed to drop me until Feb, so I had to get an admin filler.

Now I am working on my reenlistment to cover the length of the contract. It has been submitted twice now because the admin shop keeps messing it up...going through this for months now. Its frustrating but nothing I can do about it.

These are long processes but that is unfortunatly the way it is. The best action to take is to make efforts when you get to your unit to educate Marines on these programs.

Times are tough, but unfortunatly that does not speed up the process. Just do what you can to keep sane. Hound your Career Planner who ever is working on the package. You may not be allowed to go outside your chain of command but you can drown his/her phone with calls to push him to do the same to person above him etc.

It may seem annoying and irritating to do to someone but this is your famliy. Call call call, everyday like I do. Since I can't call the higher command units without upsetting someone about outside the chain of command then I will make sure the unit I can speak it is so tired of me they want to push my package through to get me out of their hair :)

HCBillich
07-17-09, 05:44 PM
Yeah, my husband keeps calling and calling. I figure eventually the guy will want my husband to stop annoying him. I suggested AR, but we really didnt know about it until after we submitted his active papers. We will just keep calling and trying to get by. If you have any other suggestions we are always open to them. My husband is not the guy to go over anyones head, like some other blogs have suggested. calling congressman and what not. We figure his paperwork will take a while just seems like forever, when they yanked him a few weeks after sign up for Parris Island.

Live and Learn
07-17-09, 10:24 PM
If you are looking for work and the bring in income while you are waiting there are other programs you can do. IMA, ADSW are two good options shorter tours but would get your foot further in the door.

LCPLBYLER
12-01-09, 03:05 PM
What is the timeframe once a AR package is submitted??
I have been waiting for almost a a year now