PDA

View Full Version : A Marine’s Struggle: Family says John David Chapman is a War Casualty that Died in th

thedrifter
07-17-09, 08:55 AM
A Marine’s Struggle: Family says John David Chapman is a War Casualty that Died in the Upstate

Carmen Coursey
Published: July 16, 2009

Only 23 years old, John David Chapman of Laurens County, had seen more than most people in an entire lifetime. His grandmother said, he is another casualty of war.

“I very proudly went to his graduation to see him. It made me proud, but sad too,“ said Betty Chapman.

John Chapman served three years in Iraq, the first one because he had to. His dad David said the next two, John volunteered for, to help his fellow Marines. But since since he returned home, David said John had struggled with depression and post traumatic stress disorder.

“Nobody knows but them what they’ve gone through,“ said David. “Somebody else experiencing it, that’s been there, who understands can help them better than someone who doesn’t.“

Both David and Betty said they recently convinced John to get counseling through the VFW, and tried to offer him support.

“You take an 18 or 19 year old boy and let him see people killed. That’s something you have to live with. And people, killing people. They’ve got to live with that,“ said Betty Chapman.

But living with that, wasn’t something John David Chapman could do.
His father said John was last seen Sunday, they later found a suicide note and Wednesday, John’s grandfather found him hanging from a tree in the woods across from his home.

“She told me David, they found him. And I thought he may be alive. But he wasn’t,“ said David.

The Chapman family called News Channel 7 hoping their story, could help others.

“When they come back, they need help,“ said Betty. “They should have to have counseling when they come back whether they ask for it or not.“

They would like to see more programs to help our veterans and for families to recognize the signs of depression.

“He needed that help,“ said David.

They say some casualties of war, die right here at home.

If you need help, there are resources available.
The Department of Veterans Affairs Vet Center Program operates a system of counseling centers for veterans who have served in combat.
There is a vet center in Greenville. Just call 864-271-2711 for help.

The Chapman family was also concerned by how the Laurens County Sheriff’s Office handled this case, after they called to report John missing, and showed them the note he left behind.
News Channel 7 called the Sheriff’s Office and a spokesperson said when they were called Monday, a deputy went out to the home, Chapman was entered into the National Crime and Information Center as a missing person, and they issued a BOLO, be on the lookout.
The spokesperson said Tuesday, they walked the area around the home searching for Chapman, notified the media he was missing and posted his photo and information him on the county’s website, www.golaurens.com.
Chapman’s body was found Wednesday, around 10 a.m.

Video

http://www.wspa.com/spa/news/local/article/a_soldiers_struggle_family_says_john_david_chapman _is_a_war_casualty_that_d/23503/

Ellie