PDA

View Full Version : Marines compete for front row seats on island-hopping journey

thedrifter
07-17-09, 07:04 AM
Marines compete for front row seats on island-hopping journey

7/17/2009 By Pfc. Miranda Blackburn , Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
MARINE CORPS AIR STATION IWAKUNI, Japan —

Marines from Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron competed in the second of many physical challenges planned by the squadron’s commanding officer Lt. Col. Tray J. Ardese here July 10.

The event, offered to career Marines, consisted of a run starting at the IronWorks Gym and ending at the indoor small arms range, shooting 10 rounds in less than three minutes, grappling and a 25-question knowledge test to be completed in less than five minutes.

The goal at the end of the finish line: a seat in a C-12 during a week-long, once-in-a-lifetime island hopping experience starting Aug. 5.

Marines will be stopping off at a couple of historical destinations including, Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal.

“We will be traveling Marine style,” said Ardese, “and we’ll be stopping off at a couple places that civilians can’t go.”

“As soon as I heard about it, I thought I have to jump on it,” said Sgt. Enrique Watson, winner of the competition and a Provost Marshal’s Office watch commander.

“Don’t quit, and keep going forward,” Watson said to Marines planning on competing in the next two competitions. “I got a cramp about three miles in and I saw Sgt. White catching up to me but there was no way I was going to let another PMO Marine beat me.”

Watson finished with the highest score among his competitors with 32 points, but the others weren’t far behind and they don’t plan on giving up.

Sgt. Luis Betencourt and Sgt. Clinton Massengale tied in second place after a tough six minute match of grappling each other.

“I’ll compete in all three competitions if I have to,” said Sgt. Carrie White who finished up in third place.

“I planned on coming out again if I didn’t win this time,” said Watson.

This competition in particular was only offered to career Marines to make sure this oncein- a-life-time opportunity will
be appreciated to the fullest and that it won’t be taken for granted by junior Marines getting out after their first enlistment.

“I hope this will be Marine Corps knowledge and history that can be passed down through the generations,” Ardese said.

Watson has secured the first of three seats for the island hopping experience but Ardese says there is much more to come and to look forward to.

Ellie