PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Marine Movies

phatso2e
07-16-09, 02:56 PM
List your top 5 Marine movies. I'm trying to find some movies about Marines that I have not seen yet.

1. A Few Good Men
2. Full Metal Jacket
3. Jarhead
4. Major Payne
5. Generation Kill

And the all-time absolute worst would have to be The Marine with John Sena. Who were the people responsible for this crap!

Alisium
07-16-09, 03:02 PM
Except for, maybe, FMJ most Marine movies are crap.

Just my opinion. I wish someone would make something on the caliber of The Band Of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan for Marines.

Instead we get kung fu kicking Nick Cage and his Indian side kick.

ameriken
07-16-09, 03:28 PM
I wish someone would make something on the caliber of The Band Of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan for Marines.

Here ya go Brother,
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84348

Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, who produced Band of Brothers, have produced "The Pacific" which follows 3 Marines through the Pacific theatre. Supposed to air next year.

BR34
07-16-09, 03:31 PM
Heartbreak Ridge!

ameriken
07-16-09, 03:51 PM
The DI, with Jack Webb. Though I havent seen it in over 35 years, it was a motivator for me to join the Marines.

awbrown1462
07-16-09, 04:30 PM
Retreat Hell
Wake Island
Sand of Iwo Jima
Battle Cry (good book too)
the Siege of Firebase Gloria
Could even name more that I like

jetdawgg
07-16-09, 04:46 PM
Tribes

kimosabi1988
07-16-09, 09:18 PM
How about "Flags of our fathers", Thats a good one.

Pete0331
07-16-09, 09:44 PM
The Boys in Company C is another Viet Nam era USMC movie.

Generation Kill is about the best film to depict the somewhat current USMC.

Not really a USMC movie, but Lou Gossett Jr. in An Officer and a Gentlemen does the best portrayal of a Drill Instructor this side of R. Lee Ermey.

Some of it is hokey but Rules of Engagement is pretty well done.
Except for the CH-47's they used on Infil.

Jarhead licked butt nuggets in my opinion.

I am eagerly awaiting the new series The Pacific.

charm1110
07-16-09, 09:57 PM
.....Jarhead licked butt nuggets in my opinion.

I am eagerly awaiting the new series The Pacific.

totally agree,

as of right now Taking Chance is my favorite, it's not an action movie but it captures a vital part of the essence of our Corps. which is Loyalty until and even beyond the end.

DocGreek
07-16-09, 11:31 PM
:evilgrin:.....LOOK....it all depends of your point of view...doesn't it??? If you've had the same experiences as me, in Nam....combat Doc in I Corps with a frontline Marine Company...then you'd probably not be able to forget the vision of Courtney B. Vance, in "Hamburger Hill" as the Doc. Remember how he tried to teach the "newbees" to brush their teeth, and to keep their sox dry, put on powder and keep their sleeves ROLLED DOWN!!!....Been there...done that....got several t-shirts that TRY to show my PRIDE in having served. BUT, if you've never served in combat, in a jungle enviroment with Monsoons, 100 degree heat, and trying your best to keep YOUR Marines alive....then MAYBE your definition of "A GOOD WAR MOVIE"...is different than mine...HUH??.....SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

Wyoming
07-17-09, 12:14 AM
:evilgrin:.....LOOK....it all depends of your point of view...doesn't it??? If you've had the same experiences as me, in Nam....combat Doc in I Corps with a frontline Marine Company...then you'd probably not be able to forget the vision of Courtney B. Vance, in "Hamburger Hill" as the Doc. Remember how he tried to teach the "newbees" to brush their teeth, and to keep their sox dry, put on powder and keep their sleeves ROLLED DOWN!!!....Been there...done that....got several t-shirts that TRY to show my PRIDE in having served. BUT, if you've never served in combat, in a jungle enviroment with Monsoons, 100 degree heat, and trying your best to keep YOUR Marines alive....then MAYBE your definition of "A GOOD WAR MOVIE"...is different than mine...HUH??.....SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

Semper Fidelis, Doc.

William Hardy
07-17-09, 08:55 AM
1. The DI (old timers know about this one and it has been re-released on DVD, got mine this week)
2. Battle Cry and yes, it was also a great book.
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. Beach Red
5. Sands of Iwo Jima
6. Windtalkers
7. Taking Chance
8. Tribes was different kind of Marine movie...Vincent (the lead) got paid a bundle to get his hair cut off
9. Flags of our Fathers
10. Boys of Company C was for the most part really good.

These are not in order...just a few good Marine stories.

There are many more....I forget the one about WWI, I think it had James Cagney in it, and it wasn't the one about the NY Irish Army Unit and the Chaplin.

A Few Good Men is a Navy JAG story using our officers as bad guys and having a Navy JAG officer teaching a LCPL about honor...get real.

Alisium - and what's wrong with that? I was a communicator and in the 60s and 70s the tradition of having Navajo in our units was still practiced. They didn't use the code anymore, but they earned there spot in Marine Corps history.

"Not really a USMC movie, but Lou Gossett Jr. in An Officer and a Gentlemen does the best portrayal of a Drill Instructor this side of R. Lee Ermey."
Goes to show you about real acting..Gossett had to act...Ermey just did his thing

and Doc - my friend and brother....Calm Down....watch your blood pressure. Everything you said is true, I love you brother - Semper Fi

Old Marine
07-17-09, 09:01 AM
List your top 5 Marine movies. I'm trying to find some movies about Marines that I have not seen yet.

1. A Few Good Men
2. Full Metal Jacket
3. Jarhead
4. Major Payne
5. Generation Kill

And the all-time absolute worst would have to be The Marine with John Sena. Who were the people responsible for this crap!

Worst movie I have seen about the USMC. Made me want to puke. Saw it in the theater and got up and walked out before it was over. What a waste of good American dollars.

FistFu68
07-17-09, 09:12 AM
:evilgrin: The D.I./W/Jack Webb,Sands of Iwo Jima,The Ira Hayes Story,Tribes,Flags of our Fathers,The Rock :beer: :iwo:

boomer56328
07-17-09, 09:17 AM
I liked Jarhead. Reminded me of a bunch of the stupid crap we did when I was in the desert. I just saw Taking Chance yesterday and that is a great movie. I hadn't heard of it until a guy from work told me about it recently. I will say that it annoys me how the Marine in a movie turns out to be a bad guy 90% of the time. As far as a top 5, I don't know if I could name just five and put them in order. I'm a movie guy though and seem to like most of them.

SgtThrasher
07-17-09, 09:42 AM
The most realistic movie ever made about the Marine Corps,was the DI with Jack Webb! Authentic !!

psijac
07-17-09, 10:33 AM
The Jarhead is my favorite so far

GIrene
07-17-09, 06:54 PM
Most of my favorites have been named all ready. THough I'll toss on Black Sheep Squadron for good effect :D

But I have to toss in an oddity only because for some reason our SgtMaj of my Recruit Battalion tossed it out there during our pre-graduation speech from him and the CO:

Aliens... yeah. I know odd. But it was part of a speech that talked about how much the Corps had advanced with "toys" (so to speak) since his days and that if we could only see the Marines moving into the next place that needed flags raised in it.. space. He also mentioned Doom 3 the game for some reason. His impression of a "Space Marine" firing a plasma gun at a demon screaming coming down a hall would have had us all laughing if we weren't at boot.

Regardless I agree, seeing the Corps alive and well and whoopin' butt 234 years from now would be amazing.

And interesting trivia: Al Matthews, who played Sergeant Apone in Aliens served in the USMC during Vietnam and is one of the first African-American Marines to be meritoriously promoted to Sergeant. They picked the right guy for the job.

tgwkreu7
07-17-09, 08:24 PM
Mine Is D I With Jack Webb

tgwkreu7
07-17-09, 08:26 PM
I Forgot One Battle Cry With Tab Hunter And Aldo Ray And James Whitmore

GIrene
07-17-09, 08:30 PM
All I can say about The DI:

The Sandflea

:D

Though I read up behind it and Jack Webb was very passionate about the film and project and the message he was conveying.

ronr418
07-18-09, 06:09 PM
Except for, maybe, FMJ most Marine movies are crap.

Just my opinion. I wish someone would make something on the caliber of The Band Of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan for Marines.

Instead we get kung fu kicking Nick Cage and his Indian side kick.
There is a 10 part series coming out in 2010, March I believe called The Pacific about Marines from Pearl Harbor to the end of World War II

ameriken
07-18-09, 06:10 PM
There is a 10 part series coming out in 2010, March I believe called The Pacific about Marines from Pearl Harbor to the end of World War IIhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84348

ronr418
07-18-09, 06:25 PM
Here is a list of my favorites:

The Sands of Iwo Jima
The Flying Leathernecks
Halls of Montezuma
Hell to Eternity
Wake Island
Gung Ho
Generation Kill
Battle Cry
Full Metal Jacket
Flags of Our Fathers
Letters From Iwo Jima
Baa Baa Black Sheep (the series)

Just to name a few.

William Hardy
07-18-09, 07:38 PM
Thanks ronr418 - forgot Hell to Eternity - true story except the real guy was part hispanic according to an article I read. He really did the stuff they showed in the movie. Lot's of good Marine movies out there....Try Beach Red - shows a beach landing with all the horrors...wrong movie for me and my buddies to see the night before we left for Nam. Gung Ho wasn't the best made movie, but it did tell the true story of the creation of the Raiders.

What about Marine books?

I loved the W.E.B. Griffin novels - the Corps Series he wrote. Takes you on a personal tour of WWII and Korea. If you like war novels, I like his 100 times better than the other guys. He wrote a whole series on the Army - special forces and intelligence. WWII through modern times...outstanding writer. If you like cop stories, he did a cops series also. Check him out.

Bruce776
08-10-09, 09:28 PM
Nobody said Dead Presidents.

GREY MATTER
08-11-09, 02:26 AM
1. The Great Santini
2. Full Metal Jacket
3. Generation Kill
4. Heartbreak Ridge
5. The D.I.

as for Jarhead, it was a decent movie, and for me it was spot on for what happens when you are in theater with nothing to do...but of course i never made it to iraq, only kuwait twice

vanmac
08-11-09, 09:50 AM
Thanks Grey for the #1 on "The Great Santini". I mentioned the title to a Marine officer in jet training and he said that he had never heard of it. I thought it would be part of Marine Aviation 101 by now.

DevsDad
08-11-09, 01:02 PM
In the "not a Marine" category. My Dad's favorite war movie was a film called The Story of G.I. Joe. He served in Italy during some of the bloodiest fightling of the campaign in the 91st Division and he told me that this movie was the most realistic one hed ever seen. I had never seen the movie until about a month ago when I couldnt sleep and was flipping channels at 3:00AM and it was on. Its hardley ever on TV and although by todays standards some of it is hokey I see why he felt the way he did as there are some scenes in it that are really incredible (at least they seem that way to me) in capturing the emotions of combat. From total boredom to terror to the 1000 yard stare to the futility of war. If you like Robert Mitchum you will love this movie. When the guys talk about replacements in BOB.. well I can remember dad saying those same things.. that after a while he didnt even ask replacements names anymore and he didnt want any new friends because all his old ones were dead. He passed in 1989 so that was way before old Shifty said it in B.O.B.

As always.. I love you guys

tangovictor87
08-11-09, 01:15 PM
...The Rock :beer: :iwo:

LOL. It only took a handful of Marines to grab the nation by the balls.

... and than former James Bond and the "Ghost Rider" to stop them. Oorah?

NoRemorse
08-11-09, 01:17 PM
I'd like to see Fields of Fire on the big screen. They've had it in the works for years now.

GSEMarine94
08-11-09, 03:20 PM
Taking Chance, no doubt about it.

Donut Brigade
08-11-09, 03:32 PM
Taking Chance, no doubt about it.

Second this, "Taking Chance" was moving.