PDA

View Full Version : Back problem before boot.

AC9986
07-16-09, 01:50 PM
I am a college student that has been interested in getting involved with the Marines for some time now. I have spoken to an OSO and recruiter and have deceided that the 92day/PLC reserve option best suits the path I would like to take. The only problem that keeps me from progressing any further and signing my contract is a possible back injury. I've had MRI's done and everything checks out. They see no injuries or anythign out of the norm. Occassionaly, my back gets inflammed and I take and aleve and this usually solves the problem for 36 hours or so. With the Aleve or Motrin, this problem is unnoticed by myself, without an anti inflammatory, my back can flame up which can be very painful. My general question is, will i be able to take Aleve/Motrin while in boot camp if need be?

Lisa 23
07-16-09, 02:15 PM
No, you cannot take Aleve/Motrin anytime you want in boot camp.
Sounds to me like you have a herniated disc in your back, but then again, you said you had an MRI done and that should've shown up on the MRI.
I'd get a second opinion.

AC9986
07-16-09, 02:26 PM
No, you cannot take Aleve/Motrin anytime you want in boot camp.
Sounds to me like you have a herniated disc in your back, but then again, you said you had an MRI done and that should've shown up on the MRI.
I'd get a second opinion.

Thanks for the response PFC. I've gotten 2nd opinions and more X-ray's which have all come back negative. I guess i should have been more clear in my question. What I meant is this problem doesn't occur too often, and I most certainly understand I wouldn't be able to take motrin at free will while at recruit training. but over 13 weeks this problem would most likely certainly flare up. If I were to get a prescription for a Non steroidal anti inflammatory (NSAD) such as Ibuprofen prior to boot camp, would I be able to get this re-prescribed by a Dr. while being screened at boot? Next step is ill inform my recruiter of this issue, I just didn't wanna set off any red flags if its not necessary to do so. Thanks again.

Lisa 23
07-16-09, 02:46 PM
In my opinion, you should inform your Recruiter anyway since you've seen a Dr about this and had MRI's done. It's called fraudulent enlistment.

AC9986
07-16-09, 02:53 PM
In my opinion, you should inform your Recruiter anyway since you've seen a Dr about this and had MRI's done. It's called fraudulent enlistment.

They have all my medical records, so nothing fraudulent in that matter, but as far as they see in the records, there's nothing that would cause any sort of pain. Guess ill just keep working to get my back stronger and try to avoid the aleve when it hurts. Worst case I have an achy back for 13 weeks which would suck but wouldn't be the end of the world. Thanks again.

Lisa 23
07-16-09, 02:58 PM
It's good that your Recruiter has all of you records on this.
Have you seen a chiropractor yet, maybe he/she can help you out with your back pain.
Good Luck! :thumbup:

SlingerDun
07-16-09, 03:55 PM
;but as far as they see in the records, there's nothing that would cause any sort of pain.Wouldn't it be nice if medical images could detect mystery pain! And what would you do about it?
Equine veterinarians use portable thermal imaging technology units that reveal hot spots, good for detecting phantom lameness that often don't show up in radiographs, mri's, nuclear scintigraphy.... so how about we just run you on that treadmill and watch your core light up:cool:then we'll cool you down with ice and NSAID's, what else can you do?

I function well enough with chronic back pain and while strength conditioning and ibuprofen is useful, diligent stretching is just as important in remaining sound if not more so. When i was in boot camp the USMC knew how to dog a recruits back pretty damn well but didn't know scat about proper stretching and neither did i? It may have changed but you probably won't be allowed to practice your own stretching regime in boot camp until shower time or when the squadbay lights are out.

I found some creative stretching techniques at the ESPN training room that have helped me over the years in dealing with the tweeks.

--->Dave