PDA

View Full Version : Marines threaten JROTC program

thedrifter
07-16-09, 07:34 AM
Marines threaten JROTC program
Salem High School told to hire second instructor
By Amanda McGregor
STAFF WRITER

SALEM — The Marine Corps is threatening to pull the plug on Salem High's popular Junior ROTC program unless the school hires a second instructor.

But school officials, who met on the matter earlier this week, said funding for a second instructor is not their top priority.

"It's hard to justify," School Committee member Janet Crane said during a School Committee curriculum subcommittee meeting on Monday. "When we're looking for funding for ELL teachers and new computers, it's hard to justify a second (ROTC) person."

The United States Marine Corps sent a letter to the superintendent on May 28 placing Salem High's JROTC program on probation for failure to have the required two instructors.

"As a result," wrote William McHenry, director of the Marine Corps' JROTC program, "your unit may be disestablished in January."

Retired Marine Maj. David Flores, the lone instructor at Salem High, said the district should hire a second instructor to help teach the 100 to 125 students in the JROTC program.

"I'm not too happy with that," said Flores, who was unable to attend Monday's meeting, "because I think the students are missing out on the full benefits of the program by not having two instructors there."

The subcommittee members directed Superintendent William Cameron to appeal to the Marines to grant a waiver or extension of the probation, among other moves.

"It would be a shame to see the whole program go," said Salem High School Principal David Angeramo. "I think we can absolutely survive with one (instructor)."

Cameron said communities with greater numbers of low-income students can apply to the government to cover a higher percentage of the JROTC instructor's salary. The subcommittee directed him to write a letter to the government to see if it would offer more salary reimbursement for a second instructor.

"We're an economically deprived community," said School Committee member Brendan Walsh. "We could certainly argue that case."

Additionally, Cameron plans to ask the office of Congressman John Tierney (D-Salem) for guidance.

Flores earns $88,080, of which the Marine Corps pays $38,000, and Salem covers the rest.

"When I came here three years ago, they said they would hire another instructor," Flores said yesterday. "I think they should really take a close look at it."

Flores noted that Salem's JROTC program passed its regional inspection "with flying colors," distinguishing itself as "one of the top programs academically in the ... region." Flores also said he's being courted by two other school districts.

Rising enrollment

Junior ROTC is an elective course at Salem High School in which 100 to 125 students enroll annually. Flores teaches ROTC throughout the day during scheduled blocks of classroom time.

"I think we get a lot of bang for our buck (with this program)," Angeramo told the subcommittee. "It's been very popular. ... That's the frustrating piece. I think what we're doing, we're doing well."

Flores came to Salem in 2006, at a time when the high school had only 32 students in ROTC — far shy of the required 100. Since Flores took over, enrollment has nearly quadrupled.

"He has certainly strengthened the program in three years," Angeramo said yesterday. "The big piece that has improved each year is the community service they've been involved in. It's a very valuable program here at the high school."

Walsh said the Marine Corps should have notified the schools sooner with the probation letter, which reached the superintendent's desk on June 3, a week before the School Committee approved next year's school budget.

School Committee member Kerry Martin said she is torn.

"I think it's critical to have a program like this, especially in a city," said Martin, who chairs the curriculum subcommittee. "This program keeps a lot of kids in school and keeps them excited and motivated. But it's hard to justify (a second instructor)."

"Especially at anywhere near the salary that the major is drawing," Crane said. "I have to say I've had quite a few phone calls about that."

Beverly High School's Junior ROTC program, which was also placed on probation due to low enrollment, recently hired a second instructor, a retired master sergeant, who earns $80,000 a year.

The JROTC curriculum includes studying U.S. history, current events, the history of the military, practicing color guard and dedicating time to community service, as well as taking trips.

"All of the clubs have two advisers, and all the subjects have more than one teacher," said student Zac Broughton, an executive officer, second in command. "It's a lot of kids for Major to handle. ... Another person with different experiences and who has served in other ways brings something different to the table."

There are no requirements to join ROTC, and students in the program range from athletes and musicians, to honors students and pupils with learning disabilities, Flores said.

Staff writer Amanda McGregor can be reached at amcgregor@salemnews.com or 978-338-2665.

Ellie