PDA

View Full Version : 0300 Contract Question

MJS051
07-16-09, 02:48 AM
Let me apologize beforehand for this post. I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but I could not find anything directly related to the question that I have.

When I DEP'd in, I signed an open contract. A month or so ago the NCOIC asked me what I wanted to do in the Marines, I told him infantry. This past week my recruiter handed me a contract for the 0300 field. I read it over, and I just need some quick clarification.

One term of the contract is that this does not guarantee an MOS, and that there is a possibility I will be assigned an MOS based on the needs of the Corps. Does this mean that I can end up with an MOS outside of the 0300 field, or that I don't necessarily have a say in what 03XX MOS I'm assigned?

As a side note, I scored rather well on the ASVAB, with line scores in the 120s. Will this affect my chances at an 0300 MOS, or am I guaranteed (as much as can be guaranteed I suppose) 0300? I wanted to ask in case there was a possibility of me being assigned an MOS in a different field, because if so I would take the DLAB and see if I had a shot at becoming a linguist.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

dhenderson88
07-16-09, 07:45 AM
While you can never be guaranteed a MOS you have a high chance of getting the one that you signed for on your contract.

Petz
07-16-09, 09:16 AM
you are correct in assuming this has been covered before... you sign for an OCC field of 03... you will be given which 03 in SOI.

your question is answered.

GyC
07-16-09, 10:36 PM
Let me apologize beforehand for this post. I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but I could not find anything directly related to the question that I have.

When I DEP'd in, I signed an open contract. A month or so ago the NCOIC asked me what I wanted to do in the Marines, I told him infantry. This past week my recruiter handed me a contract for the 0300 field. I read it over, and I just need some quick clarification.

One term of the contract is that this does not guarantee an MOS, and that there is a possibility I will be assigned an MOS based on the needs of the Corps. Does this mean that I can end up with an MOS outside of the 0300 field, or that I don't necessarily have a say in what 03XX MOS I'm assigned?

If I may... I would advise you to take the DLAB... You have good scores, the Marine Corps is looking for linguists, and will reward you for your qualifications... Always review the MOS's in the field you are guaranteed, so you have complete understanding of what you may be assigned... You will be assigned a MOS in that field... ERRR

As a side note, I scored rather well on the ASVAB, with line scores in the 120s. Will this affect my chances at an 0300 MOS, or am I guaranteed (as much as can be guaranteed I suppose) 0300? I wanted to ask in case there was a possibility of me being assigned an MOS in a different field, because if so I would take the DLAB and see if I had a shot at becoming a linguist.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

If I may... I would advise you to take the DLAB... You have good line scores, the Marine Corps is looking for linguists, and will reward you for your qualifications... Always review all the MOS's in the field you have requested/been assigned, so that there is no question of the possibilities... You will be assigned an MOS in the field you have requested/ been assigned... ERRRR

MJS051
07-17-09, 12:29 AM
I've been sort of conflicted as to whether or not I want to try and become a linguist. When I was a kid I always knew I wanted to be in the military and be the soldier (or Marine) on the front line. However, after I came back from MEPS and talked with my recruiter and the other NCOs at the RSS, they all had a shocked look on their faces when I told them I wanted to be infantry, as if they thought I was throwing away a chance at a great career opportunity.

I gave college a try, but didn't have the motivation to sit through another 4 years of classes like every one of my friends, just to receive a piece of paper that might not even get me anywhere for a few years. I decided to join the military because it's something different (and chose the Marines because they're the best), and I'm afraid that if I decide not to go infantry I'll regret it some time down the road. Then again I could look back and realize it was the best decision of my life, so this is where I'm stuck.

Any Marines who read this and can relate to the position I'm in, could you please give me your opinion?

I figure it can't hurt to try my luck at the DLAB. I ship out on October 6, so I won't have a chance to re-take it if I fail. Thanks for the advice GySgt, I'll ask my recruiter to schedule me a test date.

Also thank you to LCpl Henderson and SSgt Petzold for the answers.

Donut Brigade
07-17-09, 04:14 AM
Dude your whole Marine Corps is going to be a 4/5 year school and more classes.

11 days after I got my HS diploma, I was on the plane to San Diego thinking "NO MORE CLASSES AND BORING SCHOOL". A year and a month later, I'm still in student status, and the Marine Corps has no summer breaks. And when I hit the fleet in a few weeks, guess what, more qualifications, more schooling, more MCIs, more shop quals...till the day they make me quit.

What do you think 0300 does after boot/SOI? They learn and train too.

degenerate138
07-17-09, 04:24 PM
Yep. Classes and training, that's about all we do. And stand around in formation. Yay.

BR34
07-17-09, 04:55 PM
Dude your whole Marine Corps is going to be a 4/5 year school and more classes.

11 days after I got my HS diploma, I was on the plane to San Diego thinking "NO MORE CLASSES AND BORING SCHOOL". A year and a month later, I'm still in student status, and the Marine Corps has no summer breaks. And when I hit the fleet in a few weeks, guess what, more qualifications, more schooling, more MCIs, more shop quals...till the day they make me quit.

What do you think 0300 does after boot/SOI? They learn and train too.

You forgot to mention taking out the trash and cleaning the heads.

Petz
07-17-09, 09:58 PM
if you go grunt you will hate it... but a linguist would afford you opportunities not many Marines get... and you might actually ENJOY your enlistment... possibly making it a career.

take the gunnies advice and take the DLAB... see how you score!!! then, if you are ruled out you won't kick yourself in the butt for NOT TRYING.