PDA

View Full Version : Once a Marine, Always a Marine, but...

phatso2e
07-16-09, 02:14 AM
I was entertaining the thought of re-enlisting, BUT in the National Guard. I heard some radio ads about getting up to $50K for student loan repayment. God knows I could use that money!

I was thinking to myself, that would be a pretty good incentive to sit on my ass and play soldier. No disrespect to National Gaurdsmen (they've done their duty too), but will I lose all my dignity for joining the ranks of these slobby, overweight and clueless weekend warriors?

Why can't the Marines offer incentives like this? Plus, at this point in my life, I'm more interested in maybe becoming a Warrant Officer and going to Grad school, perhaps the Natl Guard is my best option.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

thewookie
07-16-09, 05:53 AM
The Marine Corps doesn't have to offer those incentives because the chance to be a Marine is better then anything money can buy. Within reason.

Look - they recently tried to bring the USMC up to 202k and they went to 204k - why is that, because we are the world finest, and good, qualified bodies weren't hard to find. Recruting isn't an issue when you are the best -- oh, and the economy doesn't hurt.

You should be able to hang out with ANYONE and not lose your dignity.

It's about you, not them. What are your standards, or do you have any?

Keep your standards high and don't worry about the rest.

Just my thoughts, this morning....

tripledog
07-16-09, 07:32 AM
In your post you say "Why can't the Marines offer incentives like this?"

Then prior to that you say "I was thinking to myself, that would be a pretty good incentive to sit on my ass and play soldier."

And you go on to say "but will I lose all my dignity for joining the ranks of these slobby, overweight and clueless weekend warriors?"

Perhaps you have answered your own questions. By the way, isnt that what *****s do ?

dhenderson88
07-16-09, 07:39 AM
Sgt., in the end you'll always be a Marine. You've done your time, so if what you need is that college loan repayment money and you believe it is the best choice for you, then I think you should do it.

KawiGunny
07-16-09, 07:44 AM
This is totally your choice to make and yours alone. That is a very good incentive to furture your education. No one can hold that against you.

I have worked alongside some Guardsmen when I was over in Afghanistan. We conducted a raid with them right before they pulled out of country. I was surprised by the way they conducted themselves. Very professional and they worked good as a small unit.

As for you loosing your dignity..... thats up to you and how you conduct yourself. You will always be a Marine. If you keep your standards at the Marine Corps level (at a minimum), you will stand out in the crowd. If you blend in to your surroundings, then you have lowered your standards and have become just another guardsman.

MD8724
07-16-09, 09:42 AM
Seems pretty tight. I didn't quite follow tripdogs post, but like you said once a Marine, Always.....
Just one who went for the cash, and with the economy, I don't think anyone can blame you. Gotta think about the chances of deploying, the regular pay scales, training scheds, all that stuff too though, not just the bonus. if you have loans to pay off, Im sure that 50k won't last long. I don't really know much info about the NG though, so, can't really tell you anything else.

tripledog
07-16-09, 11:02 AM
MD8724 what I said was, Marines NEVER forget they are the best. It would be hard for this person to do what he is asking, IMO. And they also reinforce that with the very statements that they make. Why would you , in his words, lower yourself from Marine status to what they describe, simply for money? Is that all to life? Money?

KawiGunny
07-16-09, 11:39 AM
He never mentioned he wouldn't ever come back into the Marine Corps.

Good friend of mine got turned down for the WO program 3 yrs in a row. On his next EAS, went over to the Army and became a WO. He went on to become an Apache pilot. At CWO4, he decided he didn't want to retire from the Army. So he submitted his paper work and came back into the Marines. Later after picking up CWO5, he finally figured it was time to retire and have a Marine Corps Retired ID. He did what he needed to better himself and his families way of life.

Short story but since this Marine never mentioned not coming back in, we can't rule that option out.

thewookie
07-16-09, 01:04 PM
I hope it didn't come across like I think taking the loot is wrong. A man has to feed his family and too each his own. My whole point on that issue is that I don't think the Marine Corps has to offer monetary incentives, or at least not much to entry level people.

I'm all for them throwing good money/incentives at good people when it's time for reenlistment, not that we have to, but sometimes you have to pay a premium to keep well trained talent.

Good luck.

phatso2e
07-16-09, 02:47 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for the prompt feedback. I knew I would get some hard-chargers in here! I always told myself that if I was ever going to come back, I would only do it as a Marine. <br />
<br />
But after I...

Achped
07-16-09, 04:06 PM
You have to do whats best for you. That's what everyone has told me and it really does make alot of sense.

You can spout off about being the best and elite and all that trash (which we know is garbage anyway, anyone can be forced to police call and scrub toilets) but in the end its about whats best in the long run, and the hooah branch has better offers.

Being a Sgt spouting off Honor, Courage, and Committment won't pay the bills as well as being a CWO saying hooah will. Thats how I look at it, and there is no loss in dignity for going to the guard. Its not like you're joining the Taliban, holy ****...

Petz
07-16-09, 05:02 PM
the national guard has a special responsibility... they protect America within our boarders... the AD military can not as the president would have too much &quot;power&quot; to threaten a state to do what he...

Apache
07-16-09, 07:25 PM
Youre always a Marine.
Perhaps you can impart some wisdom

mcvet57103
07-16-09, 07:44 PM
You have to do what is best for YOU. College isn't cheap, and in todays world, unless you want to bust your azz, you need that college degree. But also, a college degree is no guarantee you will be successful. I have a college education and drive a redi-mix truck for a living. Plain and simple. As a marine you can bring your experience, military bereing, and dedication to country, to the National Guard. With your Marine training you should rise quickly in the ranks, and maybe teach the week-end Rambos the meaning of teamwork. As well as get the Gov to bankroll your future. SF

sparkie
07-16-09, 07:57 PM
I'll still love you in the mornin,,,,,,LOL.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-17-09, 04:37 AM
At the end of the day, as one of my retired Force Recon MSgt's told me when I was trying to make this decision, your retired pay says "Dept of Defense".

I did 13 years active duty and COULDN'T reenlist because of family issues, and couldn't deploy. You know what that means, no deploy, no promotion. So that was that.

In 2007 I reenlisted into the Air Guard. LOT's of former Marines there. My CO is a former enlisted Marine, one of our PA's (I'm in a medical group) is a former enlisted Marine, and there are more "USMC" bumper stickers in the parking lot on drill weekend basewide than anywhere else.

You will ALWAYS be a Marine, but some of the services offer a tad more opportunity for you (bonus, college, benefits) than the Marine Corps CAN offer. The Air Guard, for example, where I am, (WVA) basically gives you free 100 percent college tuition, and bonus. The Marine Corps can't do that due to budgets and manpower.

I can now retire in Jan, and because the Guard/Reserve counts not only time but 'points', I'll be retiring with a larger check because of all my active duty, than I would have.

It'll be a strange transistion which you'll never fully embrace, but do what you gotta and what'll make you happy. Keep your eye on the ball (that retirement) and plug away from there.

William Hardy
07-17-09, 09:34 AM
Been there, but different reasons
I served over 11 years in the Corps and left as a Gunny. I went down to the MC recruiter who put me contact with the MC Reserve unit closest to where I lived...150 miles away. I went down and visited..they got permission to bring me into their unit as a Gunny and as their Comm Chief. Was looking good...then on Sunday at 1700 when I was leaving I had car problems and was stuck. I found out how hard it is to get home on Sunday afternoon when everything is closed down...( and this is before cell phones) what a nightmare...So checked into the Army National Guard and there were like 8 different units within 30 miles of where I lived. I had to give up 2 stripes, but I was guaranteed to be retired at my highest rank. So I joined....That was back in the early 80s...retired as a SFC in 2008, and now it is 2009 and I am collecting a fat retirement check.

Do what is right for you. I hate to say it, but the Corps isn't everything. If you have the need for an education and the best deal is from the National Guard...do it. My grandson just joined the Guard a few months ago. He leaves for boot camp the first of August. His deal is that after he returns, he will join the ROTC program at the unitiversity, go to weekend drills and OCS in the summer, and when he graduates the NG will have paid for his college, given him a commission, and paid him some money along the way. Nice deal...and he gets an elistment bonus...which I get for the loan I made to him to buy a car LOL.

Do what you need to do and don't let some of these overly loyal Marines keep you from making a decision that may be best for you. I love the Corps, but when they left me stranded on my own (no one helped me out of the jam) 150 miles away, it sort of opened up other areas of thought.

SF

Live and Learn
07-17-09, 03:12 PM
I think we as Marines dwell on what I call sinful pride. You are a Marine and earned that title. You have nothing to prove to anyone ever again.

Now you need to something to furhter your education and oppurtunities. The Corps is limited in what it can provide you, we all know that. Don't allow that feeling of being a soldier is not as honorable as a Marine. They fight just as hard, train hard, have more schools to go to, more oppurtunities to move up the chain. Do whats best for your family.

Before I came back in I considered the Army and Coast Guard. Do whats best for you and your family. Marines that look down on other branches of service are normall the young and unaware Marines. Every servicemen carry's the same honor we do as Marines.

Old Marine
07-17-09, 03:24 PM
MD8724 what I said was, Marines NEVER forget they are the best. It would be hard for this person to do what he is asking, IMO. And they also reinforce that with the very statements that they make. Why would you , in his words, lower yourself from Marine status to what they describe, simply for money? Is that all to life? Money?

Money, the root of all evil.

Money makes the world go around.

Old Marine
07-17-09, 03:34 PM
Probably the biggest problem you will have in the Guard is that you will have many, many, many Achped's whinning and complaining constantly about anything and everything.

William Hardy
07-17-09, 03:52 PM
That depends on your unit and the section you work in...I've seen it both ways. My first Unit was OK but my section was really bad about the whining and trying to get out of duty. Saying stupid things like I only joined for the educational benefits...you know the kind. And when we were activated for Desert Storm, you should have seen them scramble around like little roaches. One of the officers (a Col. who later became our CG) saw what I was feeling and asked me if I would like an in-house transfer to a different section. Life changed. I was with a bunch of soldiers that wanted to the right thing..work hard...played hard..and took care of each other on and off duty. Years later I joined up with an artillery unit going over to Iraq for Gun Truck Security Duty. I didn't know what I was getting into, but it was a trip to the sandbox and I wanted to go. Turned out great. I was put in a platoon that had a gung-ho assistant platoon sergeant. He kept things up-tight and the men motivated.

The problem is...you can't always pick who are serving with and if you are unlucky, as I was the first time around, you will be around some whining wimps. Check out the Armory where you will drill and try to see what you getting into.

William Hardy
07-17-09, 04:03 PM
P.S...Like Sgt Leprecaun stated ...go to any armory and start looking at cars and look at the stickers. Lots of Marines join the National Guard. I think that it is more of a convience than really wanting to due to the hardship of trying to get to a MC Reserve unit. But after a while you find out it's not so bad. Spent many an hour killing time talking about the old days in the Corps with other Marines in the Guard. Lots of sailors there also for the same reason - too hard to find a local reserve unit.

Achped
07-17-09, 11:53 PM
Probably the biggest problem you will have in the Guard is that you will have many, many, many Achped's whinning and complaining constantly about anything and everything.

I've never once complained about being deployed to Iraq, I wish I could go back.

But no, instead I'm working 7am to 6pm monday through saturday. Its like a tease. I'm in Hawaii but I never get to enjoy it.

Anyway, I hope when I go Air Force I get into one of those whiny crybaby units that never have to pick up leaves every morning for an entire week at 4:45am.

Wyoming
07-18-09, 12:06 AM
I've never once complained about being deployed to Iraq, I wish I could go back.

But no, instead I'm working 7am to 6pm monday through saturday. Its like a tease. I'm in Hawaii but I never get to enjoy it.

Anyway, I hope when I go Air Force I get into one of those whiny crybaby units that never have to pick up leaves every morning for an entire week at 4:45am.

Wah, wah, fvckig wah.

GO!!

DocGreek
07-18-09, 05:53 AM
Big Al.....ditto!!

HST
07-18-09, 06:01 AM
I think you'd be crazy to do it. It seems like every time you read the news another guard unit is activated and sent overseas. A few of our guys and some of the fire guys I know are or were in the guard. Most of them say its not like it used to be. Now,one day your sitting around getting a few bucks for going to a meeting a month and the next your humping down a street, locked and loaded, and your family is trying to figure out how to make the house payments on your new salary.
Personally, if I had to do it, I'd sure as hell want a Marine covering my back and flanks rather that some guy or woman who thinks that fire and manuver is something you do on the dance floor.

mcvet57103
07-18-09, 07:12 AM
Big Al.....ditto!!I thought the cheese d!ck was gone for good. :( So much for wishful thinkiing. :evilgrin:

Achped
07-18-09, 12:19 PM
I thought the cheese d!ck was gone for good. :( So much for wishful thinkiing. :evilgrin:

You guys are the ones that say "Marine For Life" with your funny hats and red jackets.

Let me get out and give my EGA back to my DIs (I still have it) and I'll gladly get off your message board and go on in life as Matt.

But sadly, they won't let me out so I still have griping to do.

SEMPER FI!

Petz
07-18-09, 12:41 PM
jesus guys... let the guy post. If you really don't want the guy around then ignoring him works best... and then I don't have to read all the posts about how you guys wish he'd just go away....

anyways. I still stick to what I said... do what's best for you. As for guard units deploying every-day... that's not really the case anymore... with the increases in size the services are not relying on reserve and guard units like they once were.

I'm trying to get my brother to go guard to pay off his massive debt from school ($50,000)

I think the OP would do well seeing as he's a former Marine and his school would get paid for... there are even state run programs that would allow you to go through OCS on "drill weekends" just like the SMCR... so one weekend a month and two weeks a year.

plus you get another 10,000 bucks for getting commissioned.

Supersquishy
07-18-09, 12:46 PM
Now,one day your sitting around getting a few bucks for going to a meeting a month and the next your humping down a street, locked and loaded, and your family is trying to figure out how to make the house payments on your new salary.

What happens to those people? Do they foreclose on their Homes? or does the mortage company defer the payments or resets the monthly payment until the person caomes back to their civilian job? Thats a good point HST that I really haven't heard people talk about. Anyone know the details or the horrible truth?

Lisa 23
07-18-09, 12:54 PM

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/wmarineluvstaylor/Fun%20Smilies/waaaaambulance.gif

Petz
07-18-09, 12:55 PM
they can't have their homes foreclosed on while mobilized.

but it is the service members responsibility to set up payments before they leave... and to inform the lender they are taking a pay-cut... many times the lender will lower payments and put the principal (yeah, they'll get theirs before they REALLY help you) on the back end... generally lowers payments 300 - 400 dollars a month.

jetdoc
07-18-09, 06:32 PM
At the end of the day, as one of my retired Force Recon MSgt's told me when I was trying to make this decision, your retired pay says "Dept of Defense".

I did 13 years active duty and COULDN'T reenlist because of family issues, and couldn't deploy. You know what that means, no deploy, no promotion. So that was that.

In 2007 I reenlisted into the Air Guard. LOT's of former Marines there. My CO is a former enlisted Marine, one of our PA's (I'm in a medical group) is a former enlisted Marine, and there are more "USMC" bumper stickers in the parking lot on drill weekend basewide than anywhere else.

You will ALWAYS be a Marine, but some of the services offer a tad more opportunity for you (bonus, college, benefits) than the Marine Corps CAN offer. The Air Guard, for example, where I am, (WVA) basically gives you free 100 percent college tuition, and bonus. The Marine Corps can't do that due to budgets and manpower.

I can now retire in Jan, and because the Guard/Reserve counts not only time but 'points', I'll be retiring with a larger check because of all my active duty, than I would have.

It'll be a strange transistion which you'll never fully embrace, but do what you gotta and what'll make you happy. Keep your eye on the ball (that retirement) and plug away from there.

Very much like what I did...8 years active USMC, then over to the DC ANG. I was a full time tech and a weekender for a few years until I went over to the airlines. I stayed on as a weekender until I was able to retire.

8 years of points is a lot, your 13 is even "more better", lol.

Our unit was full of former Marines I will say and we all knew each other of course.

We were counting the military guys at our shop the other day. Out of 65 guys almost 50% were former military. AirForce had the most with 13 guys but the Marines was second with 8 of us...then on down the line. But for as small a branch as the Marines are, we are everywhere.

William Hardy
07-18-09, 07:15 PM
When I went over they had some kind of special deal on the housing allowance for reserve units called to active duty. The US map was marked with high cost of living and low cost of living area. If you lived in a high cost of living area, you got a COLA to off-set your higher mortgage. I have not heard that this has changed. There was also a special thing you could do with your credit cards. You will receive a form which you fill out for each credit card and mail it directly to the credit card company. Your interest rate is decreased dramaticaly until you return to CONUS. I think you have to notify the credit card company within 30 or so after you get back. Mine was lowered to 6.25 - it was more like a real bank loan than a credit card. Gave me a chance to pay them off before I returned.

Marines - I back Petzold - let the Pup post - he has freedom of speech and you have the right to express yourself afterwards. I often feel like Doc, but I remind myself he has the right post and we can say a lot, but we can't say he can't post. If it's inappropriate, Admin will handle it.

mcvet57103
07-18-09, 09:55 PM
When I went over they had some kind of special deal on the housing allowance for reserve units called to active duty. The US map was marked with high cost of living and low cost of living area. If you lived in a high cost of living area, you got a COLA to off-set your higher mortgage. I have not heard that this has changed. There was also a special thing you could do with your credit cards. You will receive a form which you fill out for each credit card and mail it directly to the credit card company. Your interest rate is decreased dramaticaly until you return to CONUS. I think you have to notify the credit card company within 30 or so after you get back. Mine was lowered to 6.25 - it was more like a real bank loan than a credit card. Gave me a chance to pay them off before I returned.

Marines - I back Petzold - let the Pup post - he has freedom of speech and you have the right to express yourself afterwards. I often feel like Doc, but I remind myself he has the right post and we can say a lot, but we can't say he can't post. If it's inappropriate, Admin will handle it.Exactly. I may not like what he has to say, and wish he would stop his whining, but as a Marine, and a member of the brother/sisterhood he has earned his right to give his opinion on this site. SF

Petz
07-19-09, 10:07 AM
well, Achped has showed interest in going MSG... we should support his efforts in that.

Supersquishy
07-19-09, 11:39 AM
Ok another scenario, what happens if a Marine or Soldier is called up, but has to either foreclose on the house or declare bankruptcy(because his/her pay has decreased), will that affect the Marine or soldier Military Career wise? Besides getting bad credit will it affect any clearance the person holds in the Military? This has got to be pretty scary for the folks defending our azz over in the sandbox.

Petz
07-19-09, 12:09 PM
no, foreclosing on a home is not a career ender...

now if you have 10 credit cards and stop paying those... that's a different story.

foreclosing on a house could be for many reasons.

generally though this is best answered by your JAG bubbas who will help you through the process instead of you retaining an expensive bankruptcy lawer.

William Hardy
07-19-09, 01:45 PM
1. Any financial problems can have an affect on your security clearance even if it is not a career killer. Anything tht would put you in a position to accept money to escape your financial woes is bad.
2. It has already been said that while activated you cannot be foreclosed upon and when you return, you get some time to get reorganized.
3. JetDoc and Sgt. Leprechaun - Likewise, I had a bit over 13 years active and the rest with the Guard. I found out when I had my pay computed that I had retired into the IRR back in 94 when I retired the first time. Along with my 5500 points, my pay was computed on over 35 years of service rather than the 24+ I was thinking I had. Instead of coming up with about 21% of my base pay, it upped to 38%. Signing into the ready reserves was one of the best things I did.

Petz
07-19-09, 02:34 PM
but you can't get it until you're what 61?

William Hardy
07-19-09, 03:22 PM
Petzold- 60 is the magic age.
For me, it worked out great. Military life was hurting my family life and I chose to leave for familiy reasons. I still loved the Corps, but family was more important. By joining an active reserve unit, even if it wasn't the Marines, I still ws able to keep that military connection. I was lucky enough to get a slot in a unit that allowed me to go overseas several times for training with active duty soldiers in Europe. I was alerted, but not activated for Desert Storm, and returned to active National Guard after 10 years of retirement and got my trip to the Sandbox. It was quite an experience for a 57-58 year old. Did my last mission when I was 57 and worked as the Operations NCO for the remainder of the tour. It was fun, but it's over now. I guess what I am saying is, the National Guard and Reserves allows you to extend your time in the military until you turn 60 and you don't get turned out and cut off like you do on active duty when you retire. 38% of E7 pay for the rest of my life plus my state retirement will make for a good retirement. Social Security will be just an added benefit. The only way to beat it is to go into the business sector and make a few million or win the lottery.

thewookie
07-19-09, 04:00 PM
Ok another scenario, what happens if a Marine or Soldier is called up, but has to either foreclose on the house or declare bankruptcy(because his/her pay has decreased), will that affect the Marine or soldier Military Career wise? Besides getting bad credit will it affect any clearance the person holds in the Military? This has got to be pretty scary for the folks defending our azz over in the sandbox.

They are protected under the Soldiers & Sailors Civil Relief Act - http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/searches/SSCRA.html

Petz
07-19-09, 04:03 PM
Petzold- 60 is the magic age.
For me, it worked out great. Military life was hurting my family life and I chose to leave for familiy reasons. I still loved the Corps, but family was more important. By joining an active reserve unit, even if it wasn't the Marines, I still ws able to keep that military connection. I was lucky enough to get a slot in a unit that allowed me to go overseas several times for training with active duty soldiers in Europe. I was alerted, but not activated for Desert Storm, and returned to active National Guard after 10 years of retirement and got my trip to the Sandbox. It was quite an experience for a 57-58 year old. Did my last mission when I was 57 and worked as the Operations NCO for the remainder of the tour. It was fun, but it's over now. I guess what I am saying is, the National Guard and Reserves allows you to extend your time in the military until you turn 60 and you don't get turned out and cut off like you do on active duty when you retire. 38% of E7 pay for the rest of my life plus my state retirement will make for a good retirement. Social Security will be just an added benefit. The only way to beat it is to go into the business sector and make a few million or win the lottery.

that's a lot to read, but I never meant to say leaving is a bad thing... I knew a great SSgt (Bravo) who got out with 15 years under his belt, I'm assuming he stayed in the IRR or SMCR to get his retirement, but he left for his own reasons... at the time I didn't know what I know now and thought he was crazy... but in the end, it is as you say... a great thing for many.

Semper Fi brother.

William Hardy
07-19-09, 04:20 PM
Never took it that way - just stating my story - our little exchange might help others with their decisions. Like your SSGT - the IRR thing won't help him, but he could do 5 years in the reserves and still get his retirement...and a sizable one at that.
sf

ErikHeiker
07-19-09, 10:53 PM
No disrespect to National Gaurdsmen (they've done their duty too), but will I lose all my dignity for joining the ranks of these slobby, overweight and clueless weekend warriors?

I don't know what Guard unit you've been looking at, but that certainly wasn't the way it was at my unit. I was in a C-130 airlift squadron and we trained to the same standards as the active duty. We were also held accountable to the same weight standards. We also did our time in the sandbox and when it was time to move some ****, we didn't give the user a dozen excuses why the regs wouldn't allow something, we just did it. I can't count the number of times we would get somewhere and the user would be overjoyed that they were dealing with a Guard unit instead of an active duty unit with mostly wet-behind-the-ears crew members.

I did my time in the Corps and I'm proud of that service. But I'm also proud of my Guard service. We were every bit as professional as the Air Force and much more experienced.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-19-09, 11:39 PM
Flying duties are in many ways different than 'ground' guys. You HAVE no choice but to be the best, since airframes don't care who works on em when they break, only that it's done right. If it's not...well, wingers know that bad things happen and the margin for error is slim/none at "x" thousand feet.

60 IS the 'magic age', and while I could hang around for a good number of years yet until I reach it, I have to make the choice, pull the plug now, with the time and points I have, or remain and get a few more points and do some more deployments at the expense of family? Much as I enjoy it, I'm leaning more and more towards pulling the plug. As the wife says, "You've done your time, time to let some of the young kids do it".

Gunny H, I did the same thing, after getting out the first time, I reenlisted into the IRR. That gave me a few 'good' years until moving 'back home' where I reenlisted into the nearest Army Reserve unit (the closest Marine unit was over 100 miles away) and did 3 good years with them, until I moved and was actually closer to a USMC unit, so reenlisted after a year break with THEM, stayed 2 years until the unit moved to Camp Lejeune, had another year break then back on AD for 4 years. After getting out in '01, stayed out until the ANG in 07. The Corps did me a great favor by consolidating all that reserve/IRR time and giving me those years when I came back on AD. Because of all that, and all those points, my retirement as a measley E-5 (there are NO slots for my MOS in the Air Guard at E-6..Bio-Environmental Engineer, so staying for rank really isn't a workable option....) will be far more than some traditionals with no AD time as E-8's.

I can't complain and enjoy my time.

BTW, on the 'Achped' thing, he has JUST as much right to post here as any one of us. You have your opine, he has his, and I fully support that right. My gawd, had the 'net been around when I was a 21 year old Cpl I would have sounded far worse than HE did/does.

Look at it another way, he's BTDT to Iraq, and that's more than the average earring wearing snot nose kid down the block. He's serving his country, and earned his right to *****. Like it...or not.

William Hardy
07-20-09, 08:56 AM
I don't know what Guard unit you've been looking at, but that certainly wasn't the way it was at my unit. I was in a C-130 airlift squadron and we trained to the same standards as the active duty. We were also held accountable to the same weight standards. We also did our time in the sandbox and when it was time to move some ****, we didn't give the user a dozen excuses why the regs wouldn't allow something, we just did it. I can't count the number of times we would get somewhere and the user would be overjoyed that they were dealing with a Guard unit instead of an active duty unit with mostly wet-behind-the-ears crew members.

I did my time in the Corps and I'm proud of that service. But I'm also proud of my Guard service. We were every bit as professional as the Air Force and much more experienced.

Well said. I did my time in Iraq with an Army NG unit. I had to get a transfer to another unit because mine wasn't schedule to go. When I arrived, I didn't know anyone in my platoon. Soon found out to my pleasure that they were hard working and very professional. We did gun truck security, and we didn't lose 1 man. We had 3 wounded, two were very serious, but everyone survived. They took their training seriously and the doctor in Baghdad even said if it hadn't been for the excellent first aid in the field, things would have been a lot worse. (I wasn't there, but my buddies were)...

I also remember when I did MOS training at FT. Bragg one year. I stayed there for 2 months going through a 1 year course. I already had 18 months OJT (that's what the course was designed for..people who had been OJT'd while waiting for a school) and while we had shortened classes, we still had to take the exact same tests as our active duty brothers.

I also remember when my unit went to Germany for field exercises with the active duty components. We ranked in the top 3 of all the units participating...that made a lot of active components really upset. They wanted to know how could a unt who only trained 2 days a months and 2 weeks a year could out perform a full time active duty unit. We did and we were professional.

Artemis
07-20-09, 10:43 AM
One thing that people going from the Marine Corps to the NG have to understand is that it is the NG. I have been in the NG for 2 years and have very few complaints about it. Sure you will drill with people that are jacked up but guess what there are no more or no less screwed up people in the NG than there are in the Corps. Some units are worse than others but over all I am happy with my desicion. I have a good full time job with the Guard as a Federal Technican and so does my other half. It's not for everyone but you won't know until you try it.
The Guard has a try it before you buy it year so that you can feel it out and see if it is something that you want to do. If it isn't so what it was only a year of drilling.

Petz
07-20-09, 01:04 PM
the reserves in the corps are like that... you just need to have IRR time left... and then you can re enlist as a non-ob so long as you don't take a bonus...

charm1110
07-20-09, 01:37 PM
I was entertaining the thought of re-enlisting, BUT in the National Guard. I heard some radio ads about getting up to $50K for student loan repayment. God knows I could use that money!

I was thinking to myself, that would be a pretty good incentive to sit on my ass and play soldier. No disrespect to National Gaurdsmen (they've done their duty too), but will I lose all my dignity for joining the ranks of these slobby, overweight and clueless weekend warriors?

Why can't the Marines offer incentives like this? Plus, at this point in my life, I'm more interested in maybe becoming a Warrant Officer and going to Grad school, perhaps the Natl Guard is my best option.

I say go for it...you don't lose anything and as far as being a Marine is concerned you already are a Marine going into the guard won't change that.

Semper Fi...:flag:

jetdoc
07-20-09, 07:56 PM
Living so close to Dover, Andrews AFB and the USNA I am able to take advantage of being retired from the military, but not drawing pay yet. We still have the retired ID card, get base car window stickers and can use MWR or the PX, commissary, etc, whenever we want.

Turning 60 and I will draw the pay and use the medical portion.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-21-09, 01:04 AM
Yup. Me too.

Brent2651
07-21-09, 01:32 AM

As I'm nearing E-8, I must say that my decision to move into another service has not been a bad one. But I tell ya, you gotta take inventory of your own brain housing group and be absolutely certain this is a decision you can live with, as no other service is the Corps. I guarantee you will struggle with the different perspectives, policies, traditions, and standards the Army National Guard has to offer.

I think most people here who are familiar with my posts can tell you that I'd give my left nut to be a Marine again. My problem was that my adjustment was more out of necessity than choice, but that's all water under the bridge. The ONLY reason I mentioned it is that you have to be fully prepared to change your standards, whether you interpret that as lowering them or just laterally sliding into a different reality.

MAKE SURE they deliver on whatever carrot they dangle (50k education bonuses, etc), and be especially sure you count the cost up front. The Army will want something in return for giving you $50k of school. Be prepared for repeated back-to-back 14-18 month OIF/OEF deployments, spaced 6 months apart, especially in the Army Guard. I know too many of them fellers to think otherwise.

Just be sure in your bones that this is what you want and that you can live with it once the wheels are in motion. Use common sense and good judgement in weighing your options. Take time to do your research and make no decision in haste.

That being said, I'll post this and read the other posts. I might have just wasted my time echoing the thoughts of others before me.

Semper Fi! :usmc:

Brent2651
07-21-09, 01:34 AM
He never mentioned he wouldn't ever come back into the Marine Corps.

Good friend of mine got turned down for the WO program 3 yrs in a row. On his next EAS, went over to the Army and became a WO. He went on to become an Apache pilot. At CWO4, he decided he didn't want to retire from the Army. So he submitted his paper work and came back into the Marines. Later after picking up CWO5, he finally figured it was time to retire and have a Marine Corps Retired ID. He did what he needed to better himself and his families way of life.

Short story but since this Marine never mentioned not coming back in, we can't rule that option out.

My hero! Would that I could...

Supersquishy
07-21-09, 05:53 AM
The Army is expanding by adding aditional 22,000 more Soldiers in the next 3 years...

Petz
07-21-09, 10:59 AM
that was signed? good... now maybe we'll have room to get back in!!!!

Proud2Serve
07-21-09, 09:23 PM
I am in the Army National Guard and there is a big difference in the discipline standards. We have soldiers that don't show up for drill and little is done, except that they must make up the drill and get an entry made into their records. There are several former Marines in our unit and you can tell them apart from the soldiers that went to Army boot Camp. I made the mistake of getting out of the Corps and will proudly serve my country for the South Dakota National Guard. I live by the Marine Corps 13 leadership Traits(JJ DID TIE BUCKLE) and take initiative to square away the soldiers in my unit.

Once a Marine Always a Marine
Semper FI :cool:

Petz
07-21-09, 11:02 PM
reserve Marines are the same way Sgt.... after 9 UAs (each drill will be a UA so that's 2 in one day) they can be admin sep'd.... pop on a pee pee test and you get admin sep'd....

but it happens a lot... you get too many who just live around bad influence.

but many times nothing is done to the troops.

Proud2Serve
07-25-09, 07:27 PM
I am in the Army National Guard and there is a big difference in the discipline standards. We have soldiers that don't show up for drill and little is done, except that they must make up the drill and get an entry made into their records. There are several former Marines in our unit and you can tell them apart from the soldiers that went to Army boot Camp. I made the mistake of getting out of the Corps and will proudly serve my country for the South Dakota National Guard. I live by the Marine Corps 13 leadership Traits(JJ DID TIE BUCKLE) and take initiative to square away the soldiers in my unit.

Once a Marine Always a Marine
Semper FI :cool:

Did anyone notice that there was a typo in this quote? There are 14 Leadership Traits. I will self discipline myself and get down and give myself 20!