PDA

View Full Version : When will I find out which job I get?

Enrique2010
07-15-09, 09:45 PM
Ok so I signed open contract at MEPS and Swear in. I drive to the recruiting station and he tells me we need to find a job that I would want. There were no jobs in period 3, which is the period Im in, except for Motor T, Equipment Maintenence, and logistics. I didnt want either of these. So he asked Gunny if he could pull jobs from period 4. He said he might be able to. Well, Its between Management option, Combat support, or Intel.

I told him I picked Management Option just because it would give me time for school and anything else I'd like to do as well and also it would be great experience for my business degree I'm pursuing.

Anywho, So the Management Option is basically an Admin, but how am I going to know if I will get 0121, 0131 or 0151 or so forth?

TRosa06
07-15-09, 10:08 PM
I didn't find out my "official" MOS until the end of boot camp. You will sign a contract with MOSs that are of some sort of relativity and than be assigned based on the needs of the Marine Corps from there. I don't know exactly how it works on a recruiter's end but they asked me which MOS I wanted and put it in the system. I got the contract, signed it, and got what I wanted...a 0651.

Out of those options you have I don't really know much about them but I have a friend in Intel, or school rather, and he loves it..just something to think about.

Also you might want to try to refrain from using words such as "Gunny", "DI", or such shorthand, Marines will correct you on this. Just trying to save you a future issue.

Good luck and stay moto. Semper Fi.

Enrique2010
07-15-09, 10:13 PM
Gotcha. Thanks. I just thought maybe I was getting screwed by the recruiter, and Thanks for the heads up. I will refrain from using those words.

GyC
07-15-09, 10:34 PM
Gotcha. Thanks. I just thought maybe I was getting screwed by the recruiter, and Thanks for the heads up. I will refrain from using those words.

Please refrain from implying that a Marine Corps Recruiter would be "screwing" you... If properly conducted, you would have been shown the field that you requested, the MOS's (Military Occupational Specialties) within that field, the qualifications for that field, and been briefed that you will not be assigned an MOS within that field) until Week 8 of Recruit Training (Needs of the Marine Corps)... If you had a question, you could have asked your Recruiter, or his and now your SNCOIC... Good luck in with your future endeavors in the Marine Corps... And if you have a question, ask... Semper Fi

dizark
07-15-09, 10:52 PM
All of us didn't find out our specific MOS until the first week at MCT. My recruiter didn't even know my MOS when I was on bootleave because he tried to look it up on his computer, and asked the SNCOIC as well.

Patience, but you'll find out when the time is right.

Enrique2010
07-15-09, 10:59 PM
Alright. Thanks for the information. I just heard people talking about the jobs they got IN their contract. So im assuming they are guaranteed that job? I didnt know how it works. Sorry for saying the recruiter was "screwing" me. It isnt the best term to use but they dont have the best rep. either lol. All in all, It's more important that I earn the title anyway. Getting the job I want would just be a benefit. :)

dizark
07-15-09, 11:00 PM
Normally those who get guaranteed jobs, are reservists. I'm under the impression that only reservists are able to lock in a specific job field vs active duty who can only lock in an occupational field.

MLMonk
07-15-09, 11:08 PM
Normally those who get guaranteed jobs, are reservists. I'm under the impression that only reservists are able to lock in a specific job field vs active duty who can only lock in an occupational field.

Reservists are the only ones able to lock in a specific MOS, but, there's a downside, we're very limited to what MOS's we can choose, unless you want to move to a different unit.

I think during MEPS as you ship off to bootcamp, you get to swear in what MOS you chose/got picked, then again, it can all ways change, so don't think it's 100% chance you'll get it, unless you are a reservist, or the MOS you chose is hurting bad and possibly have a very good chance of keeping it.

Petz
07-16-09, 01:22 AM
dizark... did you ignore the gunny? you didn't even acknowledge his statement and just supercede his post. what the fvck is wrong with you.

the gunny is right, you get assigned your MOS when you are nearing completion of recruit training, the MOS school is notified of your impending arrival and projects you and you get a round-about school seat.

as for finding out what your MOS is, MCT are the ones who get it when it's published. this is generally a time that you might be able to change it to something that is high demand... i.e. infantry, we had three who chose to change jobs at MCT to become grunts... I thought it was humorous because they started SOI from day one! haha...

reservists get MOSs in their contract because they are required to do a job at a reserve station near them, and they have limited jobs at each reserve station... reservists get first dibs on school seats as well... I got bumped twice by reservists for my MOS school...

the OCC code is a group of MOSs that you sign up for on active duty, generally they are catigorized in the same "type" of work but have high and low demand MOSs thrown in there on occasion... so you could get stuck with a job you don't like... it's YOUR responsibility to understand this and be ok with it... you recruiter isn't boning you over.

if you don't like it then drop out of the DEP and don't join the Marine Corps... it's really that simple.

Enrique2010
07-16-09, 02:53 AM
Oh I see. No, I'm content with the way things work. I jus didnt understand HOW it worked exactly. Its not like IM just getting picked on. Everyone goes through it. Thanks for the information Marines.

dizark
07-16-09, 01:48 PM
SSgt, I in no way meant any wrong doing to the Gunnery Sergeant. I apologize if I have wronged him and will be certain to correct my mistakes in the future.

Petz
07-16-09, 01:51 PM
good to go... stay motivated and active on the forums!!! yut!

GyC
07-16-09, 06:51 PM
While true that you do not see an MOS on your orders from Boot Camp to MCT/SOI, I assure you that your MOS has been determined, and for most MOS's a school seat assigned. All responses are accurate, the Marine Corps remains the smallest of the DOD branches, and has a hard time determining what MOS's will need filling within fields, hence the assignment of a Field, and the Marine Corps determines the MOS... At MCT, you do have the opportunity to change up, sometimes. There is a Career Recruiter (usually a MGySgt) who reviews MOS assignment and sometimes offers the chance to change... If you ship Open (no field assigned) he will definitely talk to you and give you the opportunity to weigh in (with 2-3 choices) on a preferred MOS. It is always true, that as a Marine, being a Marine comes first, what job you do is secondary (it's a mindset)... While we say that however, most SNCOIC's will work with you on Field requests... Semper Fi!