PDA

View Full Version : Policy on Lat Moves into other MOS's

StoneTheWeak
07-14-09, 04:04 PM
I know that the policy is 2 years, but is it 2 years from the time you leave for bootcamp, or 2 years after you start your actual job in the fleet? I know I want to, just want to know when I can.

usmchauer
07-14-09, 04:11 PM
I have never known anyone, or even heard of anyone doing this. The only situation that I know of that is perhaps similar is when a Marine has done 3 years or two pumps with the same unit, they were allowed to PCS.

Supersquishy
07-14-09, 04:21 PM
I have never known anyone, or even heard of anyone doing this. The only situation that I know of that is perhaps similar is when a Marine has done 3 years or two pumps with the same unit, they were allowed to PCS.
DITTO, BTW, whats your MOS Stone? Don't worry the Fleet is much better, hang in there.

StoneTheWeak
07-14-09, 06:28 PM
DITTO, BTW, whats your MOS Stone? Don't worry the Fleet is much better, hang in there.

I'm a winger.

Petz
07-14-09, 06:38 PM
you'll need to finish your first enlistment... as a reenlistment bonus you'll be afforded the opportunity to lat-move as a "bonus". you'll need to secure a boat space in that MOS so you need to act fast Oct 1st of your last year on AD contract.... make sure you're talking to your career planner to see what you are capable of doing BEFORE Oct 1st so you can jump on those boat spaces.

keep in mind that if you fail the MOS school the MC retains the right to release you from service...

and the two year mark is not lat-move... generally the MC will only allow you to lat-move once unless your MOS is eliminated.

by the looks of it, you haven't even gotten your MOS yet have you....

StoneTheWeak
07-14-09, 06:47 PM
you'll need to finish your first enlistment... as a reenlistment bonus you'll be afforded the opportunity to lat-move as a "bonus". you'll need to secure a boat space in that MOS so you need to act fast Oct 1st of your last year on AD contract.... make sure you're talking to your career planner to see what you are capable of doing BEFORE Oct 1st so you can jump on those boat spaces.

keep in mind that if you fail the MOS school the MC retains the right to release you from service...

and the two year mark is not lat-move... generally the MC will only allow you to lat-move once unless your MOS is eliminated.

by the looks of it, you haven't even gotten your MOS yet have you....

The funny thing about it is, my MOS is actually on its way out the door. I'm a CH-46 technician, and they should be gone before my first enlistment is up. They're being faced out at the cyclic rate. Already 9 squadrons of Ospreys were sent to Cali to replace the CH-46s there, and all the ones on the east coast are gone.

Petz
07-14-09, 06:49 PM
you must be one of the last classes for the 46 then... well when it's completely phased out they should give you the option to lat-move but more than likely you'll do OJT on the osprey.

GIrene
07-14-09, 07:14 PM
Woah woah woah... I'm at Miramar and we're still toting strong on 46's and no MV-22's. They retired 2 ancient ones a few years back. I believe that current news is the Ospreys are going the way of the F-22. The ones we have will be our purtty toys and thats that. I never heard anything official from the Corps nor Congress on this one though. Just heard all the hubbub.

Petz
07-14-09, 10:53 PM
they aren't stopping the purchasing just yet... they got rid of he 1st wing and now 3rd... 2nd is in afganistan.... I didn't hear of a set schedule for decom of the 46's though... figure they'll fly them until their service life is up... don't you guys have a max flight time before it gets taken out of service???