PDA

View Full Version : What are Poolee's

redman1
07-13-09, 07:06 PM
A few months ago I didn't know what Poolee's were.
In felt threatened by someone that wanted to become Marines
I didn't think they measured up.
I said some bad things sometimes because I didn't understand.
Tonight I met a Poolee in the Chat room by the name of MyFutureMarine who I respect and became his friend.
I am proud to know you Poolee's
We as old farts should be proud to know young men who want to become U.S. Marines.
I quit H.S. and joined in June of 68 and went to PI in July 68 not knowing what I was facing which sometimes I think its best.
But after talking to this young man who wants to become a Marine its good to know young men who know at a young age what they want.
There is nothing like becoming a U. S. Marine and this young man can hardly wait to become one of us. He is still in H.S. and goes in Feb.
Good luck to him and all the other Poolee's that want to become one of us.
You Poolee's have my support in the future.
Once A Marine Always A Marine
We will welcome you when you earn the title of U.S. Marine.
Semper Fi Redman1

Osotogary
07-13-09, 07:37 PM
redman1-
If you get a chance, head down to your nearest Marine Corps Recruiting Office and go to one of the many scheduled Poolie events that the recruiters have on schedule. You will not only be able to see how the recruiters work but also you will be able to see the poolies, their effort and stict-to-itiveness. I'm just amazed how the youngsters, the ones that really do want to become Marines, show up and give it everything they have to reach their goal. You will also be able to spot the bullsh!tters. I only wish more parents would come to watch and support their sons, daughters, loved ones.
Adios, for now.

redman1
07-13-09, 07:46 PM
Gary thanks and also I didn't say that you and Bulkyker helped changed my mind.
I don't always put into words what I mean but I hope everyone gets the message and the Poolee's get my apology.
I was talking to my wife tonight explaining how I used to feel. I guess after going to PI I didn't respect anyone that didn't go threw the training I did.
Then after finding this form seeing someone on here that wasn't a Marine I didn't know what to think.
This is the only form that I have opened up to and have found many friends such as you Gary.
Hell this is the first time I have ever talked about Nam and hadn't talk to any of my wives until I met Karen.
Guess at the age of 60 I'm growing up.
Thanks to all of you that help make this form what it is.
See you can teach an old dog new tricks.
Also a big thanks to all of you that make Cowboy Up what it is.
Semper Fi Redman1

SGT7477
07-13-09, 07:47 PM
In our time I never heard the word poolee so when did that word come about?

Petz
07-13-09, 07:52 PM
where is bulk?

redman1
07-13-09, 07:56 PM
Bulk has been in the Chat room and Cowboy Up. Glad he's back.
Semper Fi Redman1

MrRobert
07-13-09, 08:08 PM
Redman,

You know it's funny, I'm home on PTAD. I interact with poolees on a daily basis. I even got two to join to make Lcpl. I hate these kids. I couldn't even tell you why. I'm sitting in this office and I watch them call Gunnery Sergeant Hill "gunny." It drives me nuts. The worst part is these poolees aren't half bad. The recruiting station I'm at is outstanding. The work them out twice a week. All these kids know their general orders. In all honesty they are pretty squared away. I don't know why I just hate them.

I dunno man, maybe it's the Marine Corps. I tend to hate all civillians now. I was in line at this CVS today and the line was pretty long. There was one cashier and then another one rolled up at sat and sung a song for about three minutes before she decided to open her register up. I almost snapped. I had to take a step back and be like jebus calm down.

Devil Dmax
07-13-09, 09:57 PM
Redman,

"I hate these kids. I couldn't even tell you why. I'm sitting in this office and I watch them call Gunnery Sergeant Hill "gunny." It drives me nuts.

The worst part is these poolees aren't half bad. The recruiting station I'm at is outstanding. The work them out twice a week. All these kids know their general orders. In all honesty they are pretty squared away. I don't know why I just hate them.

I dunno man, maybe it's the Marine Corps. I tend to hate all civillians now. I was in line at this CVS today and the line was pretty long. There was one cashier and then another one rolled up at sat and sung a song for about three minutes before she decided to open her register up. I almost snapped. I had to take a step back and be like jebus calm down.

I think you are a little to "moto". Once you get some time in service you will understand that civilians arent that bad and you will respect them. Also once you finally hit the fleet you will realize most Gunnery Seargents call themselves "Gunny". When your in boot camp, MCT, MOS School things are very strict. Its a total turn around when you hit the fleet. Im not telling you to go spouting off to every senior person you meet but have common sense. And get off your high horse. You are a Marine now and you dont want people thinking all Marines are against them like yourself. Stay outa trouble and get into the fleet with a good impression.

Semper Fi

redman1
07-14-09, 03:45 AM
Mr Robert that's funny coming from someone that just got out of PI.
It's also funny that I somewhat understand your attitude.
But you do need a attitude adjustment.
Mr Robert have you given thought to changing your name since you have become a Marine.
Always put yourself into others shoes.
Remember Once A Marine Always A Marine so conduct yourself accordingly.
Remember the quote: Don't judge me until you've walked a mile in my shoes.
I know you feel proud and better than the rest right now, I guess I did after PI but its been so long I really don't remember.
Remember it hasn't been that long since you were a Poolee so give them a break.
If a old dog like me can learn new tricks surely you can.
Congratulations on becoming a U.S.Marine.
Devil DMax is right so listen up!

I started this thread to make all of us think about how we act and represent the Corps.
Thanks for the response. Lets keep it positive.
Semper Fi Redman1

MrRobert
07-14-09, 12:20 PM
Mr Robert that's funny coming from someone that just got out of PI.
It's also funny that I somewhat understand your attitude.
But you do need a attitude adjustment.
Mr Robert have you given thought to changing your name since you have become a Marine.
Always put yourself into others shoes.
Remember Once A Marine Always A Marine so conduct yourself accordingly.
Remember the quote: Don't judge me until you've walked a mile in my shoes.
I know you feel proud and better than the rest right now, I guess I did after PI but its been so long I really don't remember.
Remember it hasn't been that long since you were a Poolee so give them a break.
If a old dog like me can learn new tricks surely you can.
Congratulations on becoming a U.S.Marine.
Devil DMax is right so listen up!

I started this thread to make all of us think about how we act and represent the Corps.
Thanks for the response. Lets keep it positive.
Semper Fi Redman1

I asked Drifter about changing my name and she said she couldn't. She suggested one other person to ask. I am looking into it though.

MrRobert
07-14-09, 12:33 PM
For the record both of you are absolutely right. In my defense though one of the things I hold in high value and regard is the custom and courtesies of the Marine Corps. I want to be that Marine talking at parade rest to a higher rank or calling attention on deck when a o-4 or above walks in. That is most likely what gets to me.

Last but not least I don't hate civilians, I just hate lazy people who work at CVS.

Devil Dmax
07-14-09, 03:22 PM
Robert, I understand what you are trying to say. You shouldnt "want" to be that Marine who talks at parade rest and blah blah blah. You will be. Im not trying to tell you that you will be, but if you want to look good, just do it. I think you are probably going to be a good Marine from the way you are talking. You should just try to be a little more patient at CVS! lol Just think. Maybe the second worker was still on break or something. Who knows. That person (civilian) gets paid by the hour and dont care about the people waiting in line. I also work out in town on the side but its a little more different than being a cashier. I have to deal with civilians everyday. Not right now but when im in the states. You just have to be patient with them and remember- they dont fall under the UCMJ or any MCO's. Its not there fault they arent as... hmm... "proper" maybe as the Marine Corps expects you to be. So stay motivated and give the civs a break lol

By the way, what will your job be?

MrRobert
07-14-09, 04:37 PM
Robert, I understand what you are trying to say. You shouldnt "want" to be that Marine who talks at parade rest and blah blah blah. You will be. Im not trying to tell you that you will be, but if you want to look good, just do it. I think you are probably going to be a good Marine from the way you are talking. You should just try to be a little more patient at CVS! lol Just think. Maybe the second worker was still on break or something. Who knows. That person (civilian) gets paid by the hour and dont care about the people waiting in line. I also work out in town on the side but its a little more different than being a cashier. I have to deal with civilians everyday. Not right now but when im in the states. You just have to be patient with them and remember- they dont fall under the UCMJ or any MCO's. Its not there fault they arent as... hmm... "proper" maybe as the Marine Corps expects you to be. So stay motivated and give the civs a break lol

By the way, what will your job be?

LCPL,

Airframes mechanic. I'm listed as a 6251. I'm hoping to work on f-18s.

GyC
07-14-09, 04:40 PM
For several years now, I've become pretty laid back with Customs and Courtesies when dealing with civilians... What has been the most rewarding aspect of being on Recruiting Duty, and been in charge...

Supersquishy
07-14-09, 04:49 PM
LCPL,

Airframes mechanic. I'm listed as a 6251. I'm hoping to work on f-18s.

Thats cool, I was in a test cell with one of those F-18 jet engines, 2 feet from the afterburner, flame must have been 20 feet long, and the noise, had to wear double hearing prtection, but the noise was so loud my bones were literally rattling! That was the most impressive thing I have ever seen, and I was a Harrier mech and was used to high power turns in the hush house! Pooles if your reading this, this has got to be some motivation! The things you will see and do you in the Corps, you will never forget! Good Luck, poolee's and you too MrRobert!

redman1
07-15-09, 05:16 AM
Mr Robert remember everyone can't be a Marine and who do you think we help protect.
Everybody thanks for your response on this thread.
I started it to make everyone aware of Poolee's and not to be a one sided as I was.
You guys keep up the good work
Semper Fi Redman1