PDA

View Full Version : switching from active duty to reserves

StoneTheWeak
07-13-09, 05:20 PM
Is it possible? I've been thinking about trying to switch from active duty to reserves. It's something I've thought about for awhile now. Never really looked into it. And if anyone wants to berate me thats fine, do what you want, you can go on and on about how "I signed a contract" etc, but the trick is, no one knows what theyre getting into till theyre already here, so save it. I'm having enough issues, if someone would like to help me I'd appreciate it.

MLMonk
07-13-09, 05:44 PM
Taking a guess here, but you would have to find a reserve unit that holds your MOS, unless you want to lat move. I actually never heard of anyone going to reserve from active, in their 1st enlistment.

irizavrima
07-13-09, 05:57 PM
Stone, you can not switch from active to reserves. Nobody, regardless of rank or time in service has the right to get on your case because you want to ask a question...I read your profile and I am curious about these issues you are having. I am currently in Iraq, however I am stationed at Lejeune with 6th Marines. I didn't know what I got myself into when I checked into the fleet. There are days that I still beat myself up for it. However, I have learned to take advantage of the oppurtunities I have and be thankful. For example, do you realize how easy it is to do college in the military? I signed a couple pieces of paper and my education counselor had me enrolled in college within a couple of days. I did not pay for anything out of pocket and I am well on my way to getting an associates degree. My smart transcript and MCI's knocked out all of my electives. So far I have completed 4 classes in a matter of 4 months in Iraq and I am going to have my associates degree before the years end. There are a lot of benefits to being active duty...you have to search deep and find what it is that you want. I am sure it is not as appealing as you thought it would be at first, however you have so many options available to you in the future. Why don't you tell us about these issues you are having? I am sure that all of the other Marines here have been through something similar if not the same.

StoneTheWeak
07-13-09, 06:46 PM
Stone, you can not switch from active to reserves. Nobody, regardless of rank or time in service has the right to get on your case because you want to ask a question...I read your profile and I am curious about these issues you are having. I am currently in Iraq, however I am stationed at Lejeune with 6th Marines. I didn't know what I got myself into when I checked into the fleet. There are days that I still beat myself up for it. However, I have learned to take advantage of the oppurtunities I have and be thankful. For example, do you realize how easy it is to do college in the military? I signed a couple pieces of paper and my education counselor had me enrolled in college within a couple of days. I did not pay for anything out of pocket and I am well on my way to getting an associates degree. My smart transcript and MCI's knocked out all of my electives. So far I have completed 4 classes in a matter of 4 months in Iraq and I am going to have my associates degree before the years end. There are a lot of benefits to being active duty...you have to search deep and find what it is that you want. I am sure it is not as appealing as you thought it would be at first, however you have so many options available to you in the future. Why don't you tell us about these issues you are having? I am sure that all of the other Marines here have been through something similar if not the same.

I already posted over in the medical forum. But I'll explain anyways. I've been very depressed since March. I have trouble eating and sleeping, and I've lost all interest in the things that used to interest me. I haven't really enjoyed my life in an even longer time, since before I joined. I miss home and my loved ones, its my belief they're all I have and that being here is doing me more harm than good. I know most if not all service members get homesick at some point, some adapt some don't. I don't think I ever will. I get angry very easily, to the point I want to hurt someone, and no, not myself, yet anyways. I'm trying to get it under control, I talked to someone today, but I feel no better if not worse, now that people know about it. I feel like I've let myself down more than anyone, in addition to my family and fellow Marines. I don't know why I'm here anymore, frankly I don't care either. I don't know why it is it makes me so miserable, but I am. I don't see any way out. I was hoping that by going reserve it would put me closer to my family and make it easier to cope. Sometimes I get physical reactions. Vomiting, headaches. It fvcking sucks. If I could go back I'd have never put myself in this position.

irizavrima
07-13-09, 08:12 PM
Stone, please here me out because I am looking out for ya bud. I can't speak about things I do not know or do not understand. I will "stay in my lane" if that makes sense. If a psychologist finds you...

StoneTheWeak
07-13-09, 08:33 PM
I don't really have much of a choice but to just suck it up. I want to be a cop when I'm done. Getting kicked out would ruin that. The corps always wins, one way or another.

irizavrima
07-13-09, 08:38 PM
Anybody that tells you otherwise doesn't really care. If you want to be a cop your already in the right place. You usually need an associates degree to be competitive for selection, military background helps as well. In most cases you can take the police exam and get accepted into the academy before you are even out. You have the rest of your life ahead of you, the Marine Corps can be a short term part of it if you choose. Meanwhile are you deploying anytime soon?

fjmas1976
07-15-09, 02:01 PM
In addition to all those things, you also have to live with it. Every time you pass a round Marine Corps sticker on a car window,every time you hear the Marine Corps Hymn play, you will remember the...