PDA

View Full Version : New here, have a few questions

packvip
07-13-09, 01:54 PM
Hi guys. I'm new here, and making my first post after lurking for a little while. My folks are Marines (mom, dad, and step-dad), and I'm keeping up with the family tradition. I am joining up sometime in either late October or September, and I had some questions that I haven't been able to find any decent answers to. Any responses would really be helpful.

1. Do you get another short leave after SOI, similar to after Boot Camp, or are you shipped off to wherever you're orders are immediately afterwards?

2. I'm going Infantry, so I was curious as to what your duties are whenever you're not on deployment. I've seen here and there that it's mostly cleaning around base and PT, and that's the extent of it. Is this true?

3. How much leave time are you granted every year?

Also, what is the day to day life like for an Infantry Marine? I don't have any misconceptions that it's going to be fast speed and I'm going to be shooting big guns all the time. I know it's going to be hard grunt work, and that's why I want to do it- I want the challenge.

Thanks for your time Marines, I hope I didn't miss a post that had all the answers I'm looking for lol

Petz
07-13-09, 02:10 PM
one... no.

two... training, even cleaning up around base is training.

three... basic question you should be asking your recruiter... it's part of their pitch.

as for day to day... it's all dependant on which 03 job you get, which unit you're at at what part of the globe you're on. each division has a different mission and different training environments so there is no way to say what your day to day WILL be except to train. The proper term is not fast speed as that sounds stupid... it's "high speed".

if you want to shoot the big guns all the time you can go artillery... they have a blast (pun intended)... and arty IS a challenge.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/irkillroy/2pso9yp-1.jpg

I forget who I stole this photo from... might have been Artyops.

but if I wanted to go some type of combat MOS I'd have gone arty for sure.

packvip
07-13-09, 02:14 PM
Haha, thank you SSgt., I appreciate it.

Old Marine
07-13-09, 05:15 PM
Why don't you ask those people with whom you live, since they have been there and done that?

packvip
07-13-09, 06:09 PM
It's been a very long time since my stepdad and mother were in, around twenty years, so I figured this would be the best way to get any info I needed.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-13-09, 08:55 PM
No worries.

You still get 30 days leave a year.

Infantrymen train to their MOS when they aren't deployed, but sometimes that means picking up trash (base beautification) as an "Other duties as assigned". Every Marine does it.

packvip
07-14-09, 09:37 PM
Thank you very much!