PDA

View Full Version : what is ship date dependant on?

Rarec
07-12-09, 10:24 PM
Until now I though you basically went to the recruiter, talked and signed all your papers. Then a week to a month later went to MEPs and got sworn in and all that good stuff. Then you got a ship date.

After looking through some thread I ran into some info saying that after you go to meps, get sworn in, sign all your paper you are put into the DEP and wait in line for a ship date for nearly a Year.

I though the DEP was just for those under 17 and was basically just a way of getting ahead so that you were guaranteed a ship date soon after you turn 18/graduate. I thought that the paper you signed for the DEP is not the same as actual contracts with the Navy for being a Marine but just there to get you a closer ship date and guranteed MOS.

I am kind of confused about this now. Can anyone set me straight.

Lisa 23
07-12-09, 10:29 PM
What is the DEP?

In these times, one cannot simply walk into a recruiter's office, sign some papers and ship off to basic training immediately. In general, the recruiting commands must reserve a "slot" for the recruit at basic training. Usually, such slots are booked up months in advance.
That's where the Delayed Enlistment Program (sometimes called the "Delayed Entry Program") comes in. Individuals going onto active duty, enlist first into the DEP. This is an actual enlistment into the inactive reserves, with an agreement to report for active duty (to ship out to boot camp) at a specific time in the future. Under current regulations, one can remain in the DEP for up to 365 days.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm

Rarec
07-12-09, 10:55 PM
What is the DEP?

In these times, one cannot simply walk into a recruiter's office, sign some papers and ship off to basic training immediately. In general, the recruiting commands must reserve a "slot" for the recruit at basic training. Usually, such slots are booked up months in advance.
That's where the Delayed Enlistment Program (sometimes called the "Delayed Entry Program") comes in. Individuals going onto active duty, enlist first into the DEP. This is an actual enlistment into the inactive reserves, with an agreement to report for active duty (to ship out to boot camp) at a specific time in the future. Under current regulations, one can remain in the DEP for up to 365 days.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm

Not that it matters,but does this mean you get paid since you are technically in the reserves???
Whats the average wait for getting a ship date

Rarec
07-12-09, 11:08 PM
Any Marines fresh out of boot who can tell me how long the whole process took them. I am not much on the copy and paste thing.

Quinbo
07-12-09, 11:18 PM
The Army goes to basic training not the Marines. There are exclusions which allow you to be in DEP beyond 365 days. I think a search on leatherneck might turn up what the exclusions are. DEP is considered IRR and is not for pay. It does however count as IRR on the other end of your contract. Example... you are in DEP for a year and have signed a 4X4 contract, you are active duty for 4 years and then still have a 4 year obligation for IRR. That 4 year IRR is now a 3 year IRR because of your time in DEP.

Nutshell on the pay thing is you have to be wearing the uniform to get a paycheck.

marine95
07-12-09, 11:19 PM
Rarec,
I am a former recruiter. There are many things that have to happen. If your a graduate, there is a thing called direct ship, which means you will leave anytime from 30 to 90 days. No more then that. If your in high school still, you have to graduate first. If you want to leave early, then ask your recruiter to talk to other stations to switch dates under the same program you signed for. If not then you will have to wait until a station does not meet their shipping mission.

Next, you do not get paid until you get to bootcamp. This whole process differs from person to person. I entered the DEP on Mar 17th 1995 and shipped on 30 May 95. I was called a direct ship because I was already a graduate. They will not string a graduate past 3 months unless there is a good reason.

Rarec
07-12-09, 11:22 PM
The Army goes to basic training not the Marines. There are exclusions which allow you to be in DEP beyond 365 days. I think a search on leatherneck might turn up what the exclusions are. DEP is considered IRR and is not for pay. It does however count as IRR on the other end of your contract. Example... you are in DEP for a year and have signed a 4X4 contract, you are active duty for 4 years and then still have a 4 year obligation for IRR. That 4 year IRR is now a 3 year IRR because of your time in DEP.

Nutshell on the pay thing is you have to be wearing the uniform to get a paycheck.
I read over all my posts and never said anything about basic. I have been through enough threads here to know well that you don't call Marine corps Boot Basic lol.
I didn't know that it counted on the other end like you said, thanks for that!

Rarec
07-12-09, 11:25 PM
Rarec,
I am a former recruiter. There are many things that have to happen. If your a graduate, there is a thing called direct ship, which means you will leave anytime from 30 to 90 days. No more then that. If your in high school still, you have to graduate first. If you want to leave early, then ask your recruiter to talk to other stations to switch dates under the same program you signed for. If not then you will have to wait until a station does not meet their shipping mission.

Next,
Thanks alot for this info. I knew that the DEP for someone who isn't a graduate is a max of one year and I didn't put it together than maybe it was this info getting mixed up.
The 30-90 days sounds right. I definitely see where I got mixed up and that makes total sense now.
so lemme ask you, if you are a pre-grad DEPer does the 30-90 requirement start after you graduate or can it still take up to a year?
I am pretty sure the year thing for DEP was just to allow a broader range of high schoolers to get in, am I right?
So it cannot take any longer than 3 months?? That is great info, thank you.

marine95
07-12-09, 11:33 PM
The bottom line is for the recruiter to get a 1st senior in the high school. That begins as soon as they graduate Junior year. And that is when the 365 starts. The earlier they sign you, the earlier...

Rarec
07-12-09, 11:37 PM
So what if you get in the DEP 6 months prior to graduation rather than a year? Does this mean it can still take up to a year or that after graduation it can still take up to 3 months like if a...

marine95
07-12-09, 11:41 PM
Well if you turn 18 in January and you parents do not want to sign when you graduate, then your sh#t out of luck until you turn 18. But if your parents sign before you graduate, the recruiter and his SNCOIC will place you in a specific date based on the Marine Corps and yourself. The sooner the better for them.

Quinbo
07-12-09, 11:50 PM
I read over all my posts and never said anything about basic. I have been through enough threads here to know well that you don't call Marine corps Boot Basic lol.
I didn't know that it counted on the other end like you said, thanks for that!

Trying to clear up something LASW had said. Not you!

Rarec
07-13-09, 12:11 AM
Well if you turn 18 in January and you parents do not want to sign when you graduate, then your sh#t out of luck until you turn 18. But if your parents sign before you graduate, the recruiter and his SNCOIC will place you in a specific date based on the Marine Corps and yourself. The sooner the better for them.
I think you got something mixed up .The need for a parent to sign for the DEP is simply because of age isn't it?? I turn 18 in january, and graduate nearly 6 months after that.So if I wanted I could sign myself into the DEP when I turn 18 couldn't I?

And oh ok I didn't realize you were speaking to LASW

marine95
07-13-09, 12:17 AM
Rarec,

You got it. When your 18, your considered an adult for you to sign for yourself. Other then that, if your want to be in the DEP before 18, guess what? Your parents have to sign. (both of them)

Quinbo
07-13-09, 12:26 AM
As far as I know you still need to also go down to the post office and sign up for the selective service. Sounds retarded but is a minor inconvenience.

Rarec
07-13-09, 12:30 AM
As far as I know you still need to also go down to the post office and sign up for the selective service. Sounds retarded but is a minor inconvenience.
what is that? I have never heard of it.

Lisa 23
07-13-09, 07:38 AM
Trying to clear up something LASW had said. Not you!
I know it's boot camp and not basic training. I just copied and pasted what I found at the link I provided in that post.

Quinbo
07-13-09, 09:15 AM
LASW? Is it ok with you if I assist in informing the uninformed? After all your 1 year in the Marines must have filled your head with volumes of wisdom and advice to pass on.

On with the show... the selective service is registering for the draft. A fairly painless operation. You go to the post office after your 18th birthday and register. No big deal.

It seems kind of silly but even if you are on contract you have to register for the selective service.

Lisa 23
07-13-09, 10:28 AM
LASW? Is it ok with you if I assist in informing the uninformed? After all your 1 year in the Marines must have filled your head with volumes of wisdom and advice to pass on.

Sgt., not trying to come across as a smart a$$, but to be exact, make that 1 year and 6 months. I had to get out because I broke my anke pretty bad when I was in Okinawa.
I was just trying to help with what info I found out there in internet land, that's all.

Semper Fi :usmc:

Rarec
07-13-09, 01:43 PM

On with the show... the selective service is registering for the draft. A fairly painless operation. You go to the post office after your 18th birthday and register. No big deal.

It seems kind of silly but even if you are on contract you have to register for the selective service.
oh ok i see, thats no big deal the post office is a couple blocks from here:)

GyC
07-13-09, 03:55 PM
At Parris Island... From your posts, I see that you are graduating in 6 months? I assume you will complete your homeschooling in 6 months?? If that is the case, then the Recruiter may not move you through processing until you are completed anyway. In the current Recruiting environment, plan on a minimum 90 day wait before shipping, if you have graduated. Again, much of the Recruiting process is not the Marine Corps telling you what to do, it's a mutual decision. All replies to this post are good gouge... If you plan on enlisting then don't worry about the selective service thing, as you are volunteering for service... Have you contacted the Recruiter yet??

Rarec
07-13-09, 04:23 PM
At Parris Island... From your posts, I see that you are graduating in 6 months? I assume you will complete your homeschooling in 6 months?? If that is the case, then the Recruiter may not move you through processing until you are completed anyway. In the current Recruiting environment, plan on a minimum 90 day wait before shipping, if you have graduated. Again, much of the Recruiting process is not the Marine Corps telling you what to do, it's a mutual decision. All replies to this post are good gouge... If you plan on enlisting then don't worry about the selective service thing, as you are volunteering for service... Have you contacted the Recruiter yet??
no no, you misread something.
I am currently 17. If I continue homeschool (which is based on whether or not the recruiter tells me I can join and be Tier I with 50 on ASVAB etc) Then I should finish right about when I turn 18.
If for some reason I go to public school for the whole year I turn 18 halfway through the school year and would graduate 6 months after I can sign up.
I havent contacted anyone yet. The other day when I wasn't here my dad told me a couple of Marines stopped by the house and dropped of a card and a pamphlet and my dad gave them my cell number. I don't know if they have returned to Miami yet so I am just waitin for the call.
Hopefully what I am told about getting a 50 on the ASVAB is right and I can stick to homeschool. Which is better,more efficient, I can get in shape, have a job, and finish sooner. Everything about it is great, public school is a waste of time and educates you very poorly so hopefully I can stick with this.
Plus i am in awful shape.

GyC
07-13-09, 05:58 PM
no no, you misread something.
I am currently 17. If I continue homeschool (which is based on whether or not the recruiter tells me I can join and be Tier I with 50 on ASVAB etc) Then I should finish right about when I turn 18.
If for some reason I go to public school for the whole year I turn 18 halfway through the school year and would graduate 6 months after I can sign up.
I havent contacted anyone yet. The other day when I wasn't here my dad told me a couple of Marines stopped by the house and dropped of a card and a pamphlet and my dad gave them my cell number. I don't know if they have returned to Miami yet so I am just waitin for the call.
Hopefully what I am told about getting a 50 on the ASVAB is right and I can stick to homeschool. Which is better,more efficient, I can get in shape, have a job, and finish sooner. Everything about it is great, public school is a waste of time and educates you very poorly so hopefully I can stick with this.
Plus i am in awful shape.

Well, I assure you that if you get a 50 or better QT, you will be considered a Tier I... Hook up with them and let them give you the Screening Test... It's a 2 or 4 part test that will show you how you would do on the ASVAB (QT only)... As I told you earlier, you don't know anything until you sit down with them... DEP time gets you prepared, mentally (Basic Marine Corps knowledge and familiarization with the Marine Corps) and physically (solid Physical Training Program that readies you for Boot Camp, and cuts weight off of you- with us)... It also gets you a date that you're leaving (solid plan) and a job field guaranteed (the longer you wait the less jobs there are for any given period)... Good luck and stay motivated!!

Rarec
07-13-09, 07:54 PM
Well, I assure you that if you get a 50 or better QT, you will be considered a Tier I... Hook up with them and let them give you the Screening Test... It's a 2 or 4 part test that will show you how you would do on the ASVAB (QT only)... As I told you earlier, you don't know anything until you sit down with them... DEP time gets you prepared, mentally (Basic Marine Corps knowledge and familiarization with the Marine Corps) and physically (solid Physical Training Program that readies you for Boot Camp, and cuts weight off of you- with us)... It also gets you a date that you're leaving (solid plan) and a job field guaranteed (the longer you wait the less jobs there are for any given period)... Good luck and stay motivated!!
thank you, I have heard this multiple times lately and so I am pretty happy about it. I haven't check out any of the ASVAB practice tests but I don't think 50 should be too hard too get. unfortunately because I have 2-3 hours away I cant participate in the poolee Pt or anything. So I started working out a little while ago and hopefully I can get some decent shoes and start running.