PDA

View Full Version : Just Graduated, I'll share my experiences...

jpg8402
07-12-09, 06:20 PM
Well, first off... bootcamp is not as hard as they like to make it seem... and I know that wasn't always the case. But these days, with the type of society we live in... the biggest thing to remember is its all about the mental. The PFTs and CFTs aren't exactly fun, but they can be done and for a lot of people they can be done with ease. So don't worry about the physical aspect. In 3 months you'll have enough time to improve on that. Just stay positive and motivated and you'll do just fine. Two main things to remember is to sound off and move with intensity... even if your not sure what your saying or doing. Screw up with confidence is what our D.I.s would tell us. IT(incentive training) can suck, but it'll only makes you better in the long run. The sooner your platoon starts working together the better off you'll be. Especially during the Crucible. MREs are actually pretty good, especially if you get one with Skittles or M&Ms... if your D.I.s let you keep them in their after field stripping them lol.

The pizza has arrived so I'm losing concentration haha, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. :thumbup:

AWDPirate
07-12-09, 06:33 PM
congrats Marine, the easy part's over!

Gunner614
07-12-09, 06:36 PM
I guess I'll go with the standard, what part of boot camp challenged you the most?
And what aspect of boot camp did you dislike the most?

WKranz
07-12-09, 08:44 PM
MRE's are new and exciting to you still. They'll get old real quick.

TRosa06
07-12-09, 09:30 PM
MRE's are new and exciting to you still. They'll get old real quick.

Definately, wait until after MCT. You will never want to see another MRE in your life.

Congratulations Marine, feels good doesn't it? Also, get that profile changed, your not a poolee anymore.

jpg8402
07-13-09, 09:34 AM
I guess I'll go with the standard, what part of boot camp challenged you the most?
And what aspect of boot camp did you dislike the most?

I'd say, as far as one particular single event... the reaper hike. Now I'm not saying that because the crucible/reaper is supposed to be the hardest thing we do. I thought most of the crucible easier then I had thought it was going to be, except for Basilone's mission lol. I had PNA while on the crucible and I struggled to get up the reaper... I won't lie like some in my platoon, saying they helped pulled other recruits up it... It kicked my butt, but I made it up and caught up with my platoon in time to go over the last hill with my platoon. You stop and your SDI gets everyone together, then you give'er hell and sprint up that last hill.

What I didn't like was always feeling hungry. They feed you and as you progress you'll see you can eat quite enough... its just that your so much more active through out boot. The food is suprisingly good in bootcamp. Up north at Camp Pendleton its really good, better then MCRD, but they give you less... so basically get used to being hungry haha.

jpg8402
07-13-09, 10:11 AM
Well, anything you eat would get old if you ate it as much as you eat MREs when in the field. :p

I'm just meaning they aren't disgusting, and most of them taste pretty good.

jinelson
07-13-09, 10:34 AM
Congratulations Marine!

Jim

jpg8402
07-14-09, 03:38 AM
Thank you all!

rufio14
07-26-09, 08:56 PM
Congrats Marine! Who did you graduate with? Yes the MRE's get really old in MCT, hell I got sick of them in boot lol.

P.S. How do I get my staus changed to Marine?? I want that nice little "mosquito wing", you know one stripe up action going on :)

Lisa 23
07-26-09, 09:32 PM
Congrats Marine! Who did you graduate with? Yes the MRE's get really old in MCT, hell I got sick of them in boot lol.

P.S. How do I get my staus changed to Marine?? I want that nice little "mosquito wing", you know one stripe up action going on :)

PM a Mod and ask them to change your status to Marine!!! :thumbup:

atimmons
07-31-09, 05:21 AM
I gotta know. You said the Reaper was the worst. I've been searching for info on it but I'm finding anywhere from 700 yards up to 8 miles. How long is the Reaper and do you start it when you wake up or after you finish the Crucible?

Outback206
11-01-09, 09:36 PM
I can't wait to eat me some "Charms"!

firedog974
11-01-09, 09:40 PM
Congrats Marine, and welcome to the family. Now the fun begins!!

Hanzo
11-23-09, 02:36 PM
I gotta know. You said the Reaper was the worst. I've been searching for info on it but I'm finding anywhere from 700 yards up to 8 miles. How long is the Reaper and do you start it when you wake up or after you finish the Crucible?

Its both.

The Reaper hump is the last day of the Crucible. The hump itself is about 8 miles but the Reaper itself isn't the whole thing (700 yards sounds about right). You'll leave your camp (Area 505 if memory serves) early in the morning and hump out about halfway till you reach the base of the Reaper. Then its up and over and back for the Warrior's Breakfast. At least thats the way we did it. The hump is no fun, but humping is mental, once you learn how to deal with it mentally, it gets 10 times easier.

SokDok
11-23-09, 02:53 PM
Congrats Marine! MRE are all right, but I miss my C-Rats!

Semper Fi!

MontezumaCpl
11-23-09, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the Brotherhood, Marine!

Rocky C
11-23-09, 05:37 PM
Congratulations Marine!!!
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Gary098
05-18-10, 11:44 AM
First of all congrats! And secondly I had a possibly dumb question. Searching for the terms "phone call boot camp" made a weird error show up on my browser (?) so I was wondering, a friend of mine went through Air Force Recruit Training and he was able to earn a phone call to whoever he wanted for I'm not sure how long but it wasn't because of any emergency. I do realize that his experience is going to be very different from my future experience is that possible at boot camp? I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't but I just wanted to ask.

Lisa 23
05-18-10, 12:20 PM
Well, in case you haven't noticed, this thread is almost a year old.

The only phone call in boot camp you get to make is when you arrive at MCRD and start the receiving process. It's about a 10 second phone call to your parents to let them know you arrived safely and that you'll be writting soon......that's it. There's a paper on the wall next to the phones telling recruits what to say....nothing more. Drill Instructors will be standing right next to all recruits during this time.
The only other time you may be able to make a phone call home is if there happens to be an emergeny at home.
The only other time is I believe the Sunday right before graduation when you have on base liberty for a few hours.

kaelobo
05-18-10, 07:58 PM
Don't DRINK THE WATER AT CAMP LEJEUNE.:thumbdown.........................usmc

tedsiok
05-18-10, 08:20 PM
MREs? Never had one. I do remember the orange nut rolls! Dyer than 29 palms.

Gary098
05-18-10, 09:32 PM
i did not notice that the thread was so old hahaha but thank you for the information

AlexAnderson
05-24-10, 11:15 PM
i just graduated on may 21, 2010 with plt. 3249/LIMA @ mcrd San Diego . currently on my 10 day leave before mct.

Buddhism service is really relaxing on sundays

on the hikes, make sure ur pack is really tight, especially the one that goes around the waist, and take long, slow strides. and try to be in the front, because the back is basically running the whole time to keep it tight.

"this recruit has no excuses, sir" has gotten me out of alot of trouble

during firing week, ask your coach if you can shoot again in the morning/afternoon relay, even if u don't need the extra help. theres a chance he will say yes, and you'll get extra time to practice shooting. listen to everything your pmi teaches you

on table 2, aim high