PDA

View Full Version : Homeschool

Rarec
07-11-09, 08:23 PM
Hello Marines. I have been reading stuff on here for a while and Pmed a few people about homeschool. Multiple sources say that Homeschool graduate are considered Tier II and only what 5% (?) are allowed in a year.
And multiple sources also say that homeschool graduates are considered on level with public school grads and should have no problem joining.
I have Pmed multiple people who say that they were not considered Tier I and have had to go to college in order to join. I have talk to 1 or 2 people who said it was either perfectly fine or that even though they were Tier II they still joined.
So, are their any recruiters or people with the knowledge to tell me if I can join even if I have been homescooled (not the type that awards diplomas)
Yes, I know someone will say "ask a recruiter". Wel, I am still on the fence about this and the navy recruiter I talked to one time at school was like a car saleman. I don't want to call just to ask this question and end up giving out my address and all this info and having a recruiter come to my house and have a big discussion and try to get me into the DEP and all this stuff. I know recruiting is a recruiters job and thats what they want to do.
Actually my father informed me that a few days ago some Marines stopped by the house because I had filled out a paper requesting information. This is just what I mean. I fill out a paper to get some info and 3 Marines drive 3 hours to my house?? I don't want to make it that big a deal if it is something I don't know whether or not I can do yet.
Thank you everyone. And sorry if you are put off or angered by me not just calling a recruiter. I do not mean to come off that way, it is just a forum and I guess since you don't have to answer or be in the thread it shouldn't really bother anyone hopefully.

GyC
07-12-09, 12:36 PM
Hello Marines. I have been reading stuff on here for a while and Pmed a few people about homeschool. Multiple sources say that Homeschool graduate are considered Tier II and only what 5% (?) are allowed in a year.
And multiple sources also say that homeschool graduates are considered on level with public school grads and should have no problem joining.
I have Pmed multiple people who say that they were not considered Tier I and have had to go to college in order to join. I have talk to 1 or 2 people who said it was either perfectly fine or that even though they were Tier II they still joined.
So, are their any recruiters or people with the knowledge to tell me if I can join even if I have been homescooled (not the type that awards diplomas)
Yes, I know someone will say "ask a recruiter". Wel, I am still on the fence about this and the navy recruiter I talked to one time at school was like a car saleman. I don't want to call just to ask this question and end up giving out my address and all this info and having a recruiter come to my house and have a big discussion and try to get me into the DEP and all this stuff. I know recruiting is a recruiters job and thats what they want to do.
Actually my father informed me that a few days ago some Marines stopped by the house because I had filled out a paper requesting information. This is just what I mean. I fill out a paper to get some info and 3 Marines drive 3 hours to my house?? I don't want to make it that big a deal if it is something I don't know whether or not I can do yet.
Thank you everyone. And sorry if you are put off or angered by me not just calling a recruiter. I do not mean to come off that way, it is just a forum and I guess since you don't have to answer or be in the thread it shouldn't really bother anyone hopefully.

As a homeschooler, you are considered a non-traditional graduate, which means you are in the Tier II classification, which currently has many additional requirements for applicants to meet... However, being a homeschooler, if you score above a 50 QT on the ASVAB, you will be considered a Tier I... That being said, in order to determine your qualifications, you must visit a Recruiter (used car salesman & the individual that holds the key to the door you're trying to walk through) so that he/she can determine if you meet the requirements... The reason you were visited was because you requested information... Now the Marine Corps would like to speak with you and answer any questions that the pamphlet and t-shirt didn't answer... If you score below a 50 QT, you may still be eligible to join, provided the Recruiting Area you live in is under the 5% which you mentioned, and you meet the moral and medical qualifications that are required... Again, in order to know that, you must make contact with Marine Recuiters (used car salesman and the individual holding the key to the door you're trying to walk through)... Forgive any sarcasm, as it is frustrating for me when people request info, then don't want it... If you don't want to join, then answer the phone and tell the Marine Recruiter that so he/she doesn't drive 3 hours to your house again...

Petz
07-12-09, 12:41 PM
the gunny speaks the truth kid... you should heed his advice.

Rarec
07-12-09, 01:55 PM
As a homeschooler, you are considered a non-traditional graduate, which means you are in the Tier II classification, which currently has many additional requirements for applicants to meet... However, being a homeschooler, if you score above a 50 QT on the ASVAB, you will be considered a Tier I... That being said, in order to determine your qualifications, you must visit a Recruiter (used car salesman & the individual that holds the key to the door you're trying to walk through) so that he/she can determine if you meet the requirements... The reason you were visited was because you requested information... Now the Marine Corps would like to speak with you and answer any questions that the pamphlet and t-shirt didn't answer... If you score below a 50 QT, you may still be eligible to join, provided the Recruiting Area you live in is under the 5% which you mentioned, and you meet the moral and medical qualifications that are required... Again, in order to know that, you must make contact with Marine Recuiters (used car salesman and the individual holding the key to the door you're trying to walk through)... Forgive any sarcasm, as it is frustrating for me when people request info, then don't want it... If you don't want to join, then answer the phone and tell the Marine Recruiter that so he/she doesn't drive 3 hours to your house again...

Thanks for the info, it is really helpful. In my defense I never received a call or thought that they would come down or anything, I thought requesting information just meant they would sent you some papers in the mail or something. They told my dad they were making their rounds or whatever down here, I don't know how often they come down so I will probably soon find out. They just dropped off a aviation pamphlet and the Sergeants business/recruiters card so I have his email and several phone numbers. My dad left them my cell number so I will probably talk to them within a few days here.
Its nice to hear it from a Marine that it is possible and what the requirements should be. I have been getting so much conflicting information about it and from the threads I searched on here most generally don't like to answer the question because a recruiter can technically answer it. I Appreciate it ,Thanks. Now I will just wait for the call and in the mean time try to think of some really good questions for him. Thanks again!