PDA

View Full Version : MCP vs. MECEP

irizavrima
07-11-09, 02:32 PM
I was looking through the MARADMINS for both MCP and MECEP. I am considering both right now but I would like some advice. I have 40 units right now and I am enrolled in 6 more units. I am on track to get my associates degree by January. Right now I am deployed so it is not easy to do college, but I know that if I can handle 2 at a time out here, I will blow through them in the rear.

Devildogg99
07-26-09, 11:00 PM
Go MCP! I got selected for ECP and am going to OCS in 2 months. MECEP is for those who don't have college or very very little. MCP is you go to OCS complete it then have 18 months to finish school. Once you finish then you are officially commissioned and attend TBS. MCP is the route to go plus you can keep applying if you don't get selected and its encouraged to do so until you complete it then apply for ECP, which is the same board.

SSgt Ramsey
07-27-09, 05:52 AM
I processed quite a few requests as a Career Planner for various Officer programs, and learned a bit along the way after delving into them deeper and talking to the experts at HQMC.

There are major and subtle differences in each of the different programs, each targeted at a different "audience" to level the playing field...but there are a LOT of simmilarities also...

Hint: Yeah, your raw intelligence scores are important, BUT, one thing they really, really look at among all of these is the PFT scores, then the rifle/pistol scores across the board.

Also, as I was talking to some of the civilians that are responsible for these programs at HQMC, they said that usually there are more quotas available than applicants in any given FY....meaning, if your package has no errors, you meet the criteria, and are competitive amongst your peers, most likely you'll be picked up by one of the programs.

These packages aren't really that difficult to put together, but your CRS really has to read, re-read, and finally re-read the Maradmin again to ensure that it is EXACTLY what they are asking for, in the proper form and sequence, with accurate information. I can't stress this enough!!

Bruce776
08-10-09, 09:18 PM
Another thing to consider - to my knowledge MECEP is not covered by TA, you'd have to use your GI bill. Unless that's changed, I say save your GI Bill for later. Use up TA as much as you can while you're active duty, then go ECP. You should save your TA for a graduate degree, you'll need it because cost per credit is much higher, and TA won't cover it all.