PDA

View Full Version : SIGN OF VALOR: Vets on hand to debut sign at Fall River's Iwo Jima memorial

thedrifter
07-11-09, 07:34 AM
SIGN OF VALOR: Vets on hand to debut sign at Fall River's Iwo Jima memorial

By Jay Pateakos
Herald News Staff Reporter
Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 08:51 PM
Last update Jul 10, 2009 @ 11:20 PM
FALL RIVER —

Two Marine corporals who took part in the epic Battle of Iwo Jima were on hand Friday for the unveiling of a new sign alerting passersby to the Iwo Jima Memorial at Bicentennial Park.

Bruce Aldrich, commandant of Somerset’s Lance Corporal John J. VanGyzen detachment 1258, along with other members of the detachment, have been lobbying for Iwo Jima signs for years, not only in Fall River, but along Routes 24 and 79 and Interstate 195. Aldrich sought help from students at Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School, who helped to craft the red-and-brown sign that sits right off Davol Street across from the former Quaker plant adjacent to Bicentennial Park.

Aldrich said the sign was a long time in the making.

"I was shocked that there was never a sign here when it was constructed more than four years ago. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve asked if they have come to Fall River to see the memorial and they all say the same thing: 'Where is it?'" said Aldrich.

"I know the city put up a few signs that has the memorial’s name on it, but we’ve been trying to work with MassHighway to get signs on the highways around the city to let people know the memorial is here. We at least now have one coming down Davol Street, which will let more people know it's here."

Former Marine Cpl. Robert Madden, 84, of East Providence, and former Marine Cpl. Andrew LaRocco, 84, of Warwick, R.I., both Marines who fought in the Battle of Iwo Jima, helped to unveil the new sign and released ceremonial doves after the sign was introduced.

Madden said he had met with Felix de Weldon, who designed the original Iwo Jima Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery. The Fall River memorial uses a de Weldon design that was considered for the Arlington memorial. Friday's ceremony marked Madden’s first trip to the Fall River memorial.

"It made me feel good to be here and see this and to be a part of the ceremony," said Madden, who spent a total of nine days fighting at Iwo Jima.

LaRocco, who was deployed four hours after the first wave hit, spent 35 days on the battlefields of Iwo Jima. He saw many of his friends die in front of him. He said he tries not to think about those visions, instead focusing on the camaraderie he developed with his fellow soldiers. His Marine training helped him in his march into civilian life, LaRocco said.

LaRocco attended the dedication of the Fall River memorial in November 2005. The veteran said he can appreciate the Fall River version more than Arlington’s due to its complete accessibility.

"The big one you can only see at a distance, but with this, you can get up close," said LaRocco. "I was surprised there was never a sign to tell the public where this was, but I guess they don’t have to worry about that now."

Aldrich said that the Marine Corps League only had to pay for the sign’s supplies and parts, with Diman taking care of the construction and labor and the city helping to install it. He said the Marine Corps League hopes to set up a scholarship fund for Diman students as gratitude for their work on the sign.

"It’s just unbelievable that we have something as beautiful as this memorial in our city, and more people need to know it's here," said Aldrich. "Now they will."

E-mail Jay Pateakos at jpateakos@heraldnews.com.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs6CoowP03M&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eheraldnews%2Ecom%2Fnews%2F x931228360%2FSIGN%2DOF%2DVALOR%2DVets%2Don%2Dhand% 2Dto%2Ddebut%2Dsign%2Dat%2DIwo%2DJima%2Dmemorial%3 Fview%3Dprint&feature=player_embedded

Ellie