PDA

View Full Version : Marine's second nature response, saves life, earns medal

thedrifter
07-10-09, 11:29 AM
Marine's second nature response, saves life, earns medal
Lance Cpl. Abigail Wharton

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa (July 10, 2009) -- The Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal is awarded for acts that surpass an individual's average abilities. Some have been awarded for leadership in the face of adversity and others for saving people's lives. This was the case for Cpl. James A. Kilkelly, accident investigator, Provost Marshal's Office, Headquarters and Service Battalion, Marine Corps Base Camp Butler.

Kilkelly along with, Lance Cpl. Bethany Reed, military police patrolman, Camp Foster, were summoned to a call on Jan. 1, 2009, around 2 a.m. in the morning. When they arrived a man was lying on his side, unconscious.

"As soon as we got there we could tell the victim wasn't breathing," Reed said. "Kilkelly jumped right in without having to think about it."

He attempted the sternal rub, where the rescuer rubs his knuckles up and down the victim's breastbone, yet there was no result. Reed and Kilkelly rolled the victim over and Reed observed his vital signs while Kilkelly started rescue breathing or cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Rescue breathing is applied to an individual who has a pulse but is not breathing.

When a hospital corpsman arrived on scene he took over the breathing and the victim began showing signs of life. The victim would have most likely died if not for the rescue breathing that Kilkelly provided.

Kilkelly joined the Marines in August of 2002 because he felt it was the best option for his life. He said he was just doing his job.

"After six-and-a-half years I'm ready for anything," Kilkelly said. "It was my first response."

Kilkelly said he has taken the combat lifesaver course, CPR courses and served three tours in Iraq. According to Kilkelly, this kind of response is second nature.

"It's just part of our job, every Marine should be a first responder," said Reed. "But, Kilkelly recalled all his training in an instant and for that I think he's a hero."

"Kilkelly hasn't let getting an award go to his head," commented Reed. "He's a good Marine who does his job the best he can. If anything, this only made him stronger."

"I didn't expect the medal or a story to be written about me," Kilkelly said modestly. "I don't consider myself a hero."

Ellie