PDA

View Full Version : CBS 7 News Special Report: Marine Boot Camp

thedrifter
07-10-09, 10:10 AM
CBS 7 News Special Report: Marine Boot Camp Part III 7/9/09

Eddie Garcia
CBS 7 News
July 9, 2009

San Diego, California - Marine drill instructors are giving West Texas teachers no mercy as they endure a slice of the boot camp experience in San Diego.

Our series of special reports continue with CBS 7's Eddie Garcia, who's following the action, every step of the way and show us.

Today West Texas teachers are put to the test with a Bayonet Training course. It sounds easy enough. But think about it. Throw dozens of teachers out in it with no training and no time to prepare and well, you've got some good TV.

The mission for the Bayonet Training course is simple:

· Select your rifle,
· attach the bayonet
· suit up in fatigues
· team up in fours
· hunker down
· spring up
· sprint at command
· duck and cover
· run
· do it again
· don't trip now
· cross a narrow bridge
· run again
· hit the deck
· stab the dummy
· run and shoot...no wait hit the deck again
· and don't lose your pants.

Well...maybe not so simple.

“I barely made it, I barely made it," said Mayra Urias.

Coaching these fine teachers along are enthusiastic companions...remember these guys?

"You're not used to yelling, you're trying to process what he said in a split second."

Mayra tries walking a fine line.

"I did what I was told and it was easier to cross; the hard part was not dropping the gun."

This gauntlet is just a section of what the real recruits must do dozens of times before even becoming marines.

"I have a new found respect for the military and specifically the Marines," said Avery Villa.

In these few days these educators have been able to meet and sit down with these young beginners.

"I've seen more character development out of these programs than anything - they're creating good people," said Avery.

It's a burden, many of these good people are proud to bear, as a reminder of the honor, courage and commitment that goes into each new recruit.

"It just made me respect them that much more, I was having to motivate myself to get just halfway through it," said Mayra.

And don't think the marines let me off easy. Because trust me, they didn't.

Tomorrow Eddie Garcia gets thrown to the wolves and you get to watch.

Will Eddie make it?

Also on a serious note, we have the honor of witnessing the culmination of 12 weeks of training in a brutal test where simple

Recruits transform into marines. A lot of good stuff still to come. You won’t want to miss it.

Video

http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=13516

Ellie