PDA

View Full Version : Career/MOS advice needed

Excoriation
07-10-09, 09:48 AM
Hello Marines!

Just to get started I'll introduce myself. I'm 21 years old, graduated high school in 2006. I've wanted to join the Marine Corps since I was probably 8, but as I got older ideas of college and making money took precedence. I dropped out of college a year and a half ago because it really didn't give my life meaning or fulfillment. Since then I've been working lazy part-time jobs wondering what to do with my life when I finally woke up and decided, it's now or never, and I want to earn that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

I have since then gone to MEPS, signed my enlistment contract, took my ASVAB, etc. I am in the DEP program on an OPEN contract, and that's why I'm here on this forum. I find myself in the same dilemma I had in college, what do I want to do? There are so many possibilities in the Marines that I really don't know where to start or begin looking. I would like some MOS and career advice if possible. Yes I have read this forum for several hours now, done searches, looked up specific MOS's. I've gone to other websites that list MOS descriptions and prerequisites. I feel like I've done a lot of research, but the only goal I have is to get that EGA, and being an over-achiever and goal oriented individual, I want to make sure I have a path laid out before me (or at least a general idea).

My AFQT score is 91, and my GT score is 130. I unfortunately don't remember what my other scores were, my recruiter has them. My PFT score is 216, my goal is 250+ by the time I leave for MCRD San Diego.

The MOS's I'm looking at are:

26xx/27xx - I don't know how much of a difference there is between the two. I took 4 years of Japanese and would love to continue it, but I know that the Marine Corps will place me in which ever language benefits the Marines. I love foreign cultures and I love languages.

02xx - Specifically 0231, but again, whatever the Corps needs. I'm interested in this field because it sounds like a micro-management rush. Lots of neat and interesting things going on. Also for the career possibilities.

03xx - Specifically 0317. I know, its the other end of the spectrum from my other choices, but I am a huge fan of Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, and I love hunting with my father and uncles. I would say I'm a "good shot" with my 30-06, but hunting at 200yrds is different than 1000yrds. I'm also aware that in the Marines I'll learn a whole new way to shoot my rifle so that I'll be a precise and deadly tool at 500 meters during boot camp. Infantry appeals to me because in my mind, it's the core of the Corps--everything else is just to support the 03's.

Again, I'm interested in all 3 MOS's. I've done research on all 3 MOS's. I don't know which one to pick! EGA first, kicking ass and taking names in my MOS second.

~Romero

temarti
07-10-09, 10:13 AM
Hajimemashte, there is a need for linguist, if you have studied Japanese and understand the grammer content and placement then picking up other languages should not be as hard.

I would go for the 26xx/27xx... gambatte kudasai!

dizark
07-10-09, 10:18 AM
Intel was I originally wanted but due to no slots at the timei chose this field and am now soon to be training to become a field radio operator. Only you can make the ultimate decision on what job you want but just know that all jobs in the Marine Corps is just as important as the next.

Best of luck to you.

Petz
07-10-09, 11:00 AM
hajimema****e... you forgot the 'I' in shi (し/シ)

dizark is right about the importance of ALL the MOSs, if they weren't important we wouldn't have it. That's why the Army has 7 MOSs to work on the same number of Motor Transport gear as we do, and we only have 2.... not including the specialty MOSs that will eventually get phased out in the future and the SNCO MOSs.

temarti
07-10-09, 11:51 AM
hajimema****e... you forgot the 'I' in shi (し/シ)

Sumen, ore ga warukatte, those damn shi's

killbodies3027
07-10-09, 12:16 PM
Ni hao Moto.

Petz
07-10-09, 12:19 PM
that's chinese bright one...

also temarti... what the hell are you saying? I think your romaji is confusing....

temarti
07-10-09, 12:23 PM
"Sorry, it's my fault or my bad"

Killer xie xie ni

Petz
07-10-09, 12:23 PM
suman, ore ga warukatta.... it's funny how it's difficult to guess what other people are saying in a foreign language.

ameriken
07-10-09, 12:24 PM
Good catch, where's my idiot stamp?

temarti
07-10-09, 12:25 PM
Conversation is a lot easier than trying to spell it out, if I had my wife here and our computer, I would just respond in Kanji.

Petz
07-10-09, 12:27 PM
I can change my macs into hiragana/katakana but I personally can't do the kanji... if you can, you are WAAAY more advanced than me with japanese....

temarti
07-10-09, 01:12 PM
I cannot write, there are only a few things I can read and get by on. My 12 and 8 year olds can do both. Certainly, a skill to have.

When I was an expat in Japan, I was doing a feasability study for the company I was with as they were purchasing a large retailer, I would sit in the meetings with a translator and evey now and then play my "I understand and can speak" card. This really threw them off.

Of course my interpreter would take a beating for not informing them prior to the meetings. She was tough though...

Excoriation
07-10-09, 01:18 PM
Well I got a big kick out of this thread. I had no idea so many people spoke nihongo on here. I appreciate the enthusiasm for becoming a linguist for the Marines. My recruiter has me waiting until October to see what the new fiscal year brings around. With any luck I could take Japanese, but really any language would be just as amazing to learn.

temarti
07-10-09, 01:28 PM
Sorry, we always seem to get off track on every thread. Good decision and good luck, hopefully the recruiter will get you placed.

Petz
07-10-09, 01:30 PM
yea... good luck on that... once you become a linguist you can take some proficiency tests for japanese and depending on your rating you can also be able to work in that area as well when needed.

by the way, I love AnPanMan and Doraemon! my 3 year old loves them also...

temarti
07-10-09, 01:39 PM
Nothing like the bread man to save the day

http://www.abz.jp/~tone/kaimono2/noda/no-anpanman/img_anpanman.jpg

killbodies3027
07-10-09, 02:30 PM

No stinkin crap huh? You figured something out, good for you.