PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Marine takes conflicts in stride

thedrifter
07-10-09, 09:44 AM
Ex-Marine takes conflicts in stride

BY GEORGE W. RHODES SUN CHRONICLE STAFF

ATTLEBORO - Parking enforcement officers don't win popularity contests.

There's something about a parking ticket that really ticks people off, even if they are in the wrong.

But if you see the city's parking enforcement officer Brian Lacerda on the street, hold the guff, a least for awhile, and just say thank you.

Lacerda served two tours of combat duty in Iraq as a Marine, and he's seen war's worst. Friends and comrades died in horrible ways, but somehow he made it home. Lacerda was in the Marines for four years and attained the rank of corporal.

Lacerda will carry the memories for life, but says he's proud of his service.

"The military allows everyone here to live in freedom and not have to worry about the rest of the world," he said.

With combat duty on his resume, the daily conflicts of a parking enforcement officer leave him unfazed.

In fact, it may have made him a kinder, gentler parking officer.

He says he doesn't go out of his way to fine someone.

Lacerda won't slap a ticket on the windshield the moment time expires and if someone's idling in a fire lane, he says he'll just ask them to move along.

Afterall, there are more serious problems in the world.

"I'm a reasonable guy, and I use a lot of discretion," he said.

Lacerda says he is willing to listen to complaints about a ticket, if the complainer keeps the volume down.

"Attitude goes a long way. If there's a misunderstanding, maybe we can work it out," said Lacerda, who aspires to be a police officer when cities start hiring again.

But don't take his laid back demeanor for granted, because his job is to enforce the law - and he does.

Tickets are written and cars get towed.

And one type of parking scofflaw in particular has no chance for a reprieve.

Able-bodied drivers who park in handicapped spaces always get tickets, he said.

"That's the one time I don't give any breaks," Lacerda said.

Ellie