PDA

View Full Version : DEP without MOS

Cisco4711
07-10-09, 12:26 AM
Hello Marines, I am ready to finally sign papers within a few weeks. I am going 03XX, but I am looking to get a bonus with it. My recruiter was saying that currently there are no bonus', but I can still sign up for DEP. That means I would be in DEP without an MOS, but he says as soon as I find a contract that seems good (O3XX w/ bonus) that I would be able to sign it and be given priority at the same time since I'm already in DEP. That sounds kind of fishy to me. Would you all please enlighten me with your knowledge please? Thanks a bunch!:D

P.S- my main goal is to be 0317(Scout Sniper)
ASVAB -63, (Gt-105)

marine95
07-10-09, 01:26 AM
Cicso4711,

As a former recruiter, all I can say is that right now is a bad time to look for a bonus. They come out per fiscal year. So you should see something by September. But there might be a problem. The command Sgt Maj will give your station SNCOIC hell for not having a program so what they might do is put you in athe 03xx field and when something is available, switch it out. During my time as a recruiter, there was not many bonuses in the 0300 field except the recon bonus. But it there was only very minimal and you had to pass the recon indock to get it. As for the scout sniper, you have to be in infantry and then get selected from there. There is no programs for that right out of bootcamp. By the way what's your student status look like? Are you a senior? or you out of school? That will also determing whats going on with your program. Fill me in.

killbodies3027
07-10-09, 05:38 AM
Don't get your hopes up on that bonus. Like marine95 said, no branch is offering much in the way of bonuses until the start of the fiscal year in October. Aside from that, the Marine Corps is notorious for giving bonuses. In fact, I've never met a Marine who had a signing bonus. That's not to say it's impossible, but at the same time, just not very common.

marine95
07-10-09, 05:44 AM
Remember that there are different bonuses. You have the program bounuses and then the shipping bonus. Program bonuses are usually in the harder programs to fill. The you have the shipping bonus. Usually at the end of the month, if the station is not going to make shipping quota then there might be a bonus.

NoRemorse
07-10-09, 07:04 AM
There's nothing fishy about it as was indicated by the Sgt and Cpl. You'll be DEPing in under an open contract and receive a final contract for a specific MOS field or you'll sign another open contract and go where the needs of the Corps dictate.

killbodies3027
07-10-09, 07:15 AM
Just saw a typo in my post. The Marine Corps is notorious for NOT giving bonuses. Sorry about that.

smoking gunz
07-10-09, 08:14 PM
My recruiter told me my bonus was to become a Marine and gave me a moto shirt.

Cisco4711
07-11-09, 01:24 AM
My recruiter told me my bonus was to become a Marine and gave me a moto shirt.
LOL. Thats funny dude, mine says that a bonus is nothing when it spreads out over 4 years, plus its taxed. I replied "that bonus will land me a cheeseburger every 2 weeks" and he didn't have anything else to say after that lol. :p

Sergeant M
07-11-09, 07:48 AM
If you're joining the Marine Corps for a bonus, you're looking at the wrong branch of the military. If you're not joining the Marine Corps for the right reasons, then you're going to be miserable for a long time. If all you care about is money, then join the Army or get a different job.

GyC
07-12-09, 11:45 AM
Hello Marines, I am ready to finally sign papers within a few weeks. I am going 03XX, but I am looking to get a bonus with it. My recruiter was saying that currently there are no bonus', but I can still sign up for DEP. That means I would be in DEP without an MOS, but he says as soon as I find a contract that seems good (O3XX w/ bonus) that I would be able to sign it and be given priority at the same time since I'm already in DEP. That sounds kind of fishy to me. Would you all please enlighten me with your knowledge please? Thanks a bunch!:D

P.S- my main goal is to be 0317(Scout Sniper)
ASVAB -63, (Gt-105)

When you come in the Marine Corps, everyone goes open... It's until your processing complete, that you are assigned a program... When do you ship??

GyC
07-12-09, 11:53 AM
Don't get your hopes up on that bonus. Like marine95 said, no branch is offering much in the way of bonuses until the start of the fiscal year in October. Aside from that, the Marine Corps is notorious for giving bonuses. In fact, I've never met a Marine who had a signing bonus. That's not to say it's impossible, but at the same time, just not very common.

I would have to say, in my limited experience that you are as wrong as 2 boys f-ing... I know plenty of Poolees/ Marines who have recieved bonuses, and the Marine Corps does have quite a few available... There are two types, shipping and program, as well as college funds... Obviously you must qualify, and what most don't know is that if you had anything other than a traffic ticket for past law involvement, you are not qualified... And timing is sometimes everything, which means that towards the end of the year (September), there are less to offer... Your post seems to make some assumptions... Post up or PM your Rank, Name, and Unit, and I'll get your name in the hat for Recruiting Duty, so you can learn some things about our Corps...

Petz
07-12-09, 12:04 PM
haha... gunny, he's trying to get back on active duty right now...

as for his perception... I think it'd have been more accurate if he stated the Marine Corps doesn't give out AS MUCH as the other branches... and since I'm not familiar with the amounts I'll say it covers the quantity as well as the size....

either way, you made me laugh pretty hard with your first sentence! :D

Petz
07-12-09, 12:07 PM
LOL. Thats funny dude, mine says that a bonus is nothing when it spreads out over 4 years, plus its taxed. I replied "that bonus will land me a cheeseburger every 2 weeks" and he didn't have anything else to say after that lol. :p

don't call a Marine "Dude"... I really hope you're not going to be one of those troubled souls who thinks they can call people what ever they want in this forum...

GyC
07-12-09, 12:13 PM
haha... gunny, he's trying to get back on active duty right now...

as for his perception... I think it'd have been more accurate if he stated the Marine Corps doesn't give out AS MUCH as the other branches... and since I'm not familiar with the amounts I'll say it covers the quantity as well as the size....

either way, you made me laugh pretty hard with your first sentence! :D

Sometimes the worst we deal with, are Marines that feel they're helping someone out by giving them some boned-up advice... I would agree that the Marine Corps cannot compete with, say the Army's bonus machine... But, they give bonuses to anyone anyway, so if you wish to serve with occupationally challenged individuals, go get your 40G's... But, the Marine Corps does have sizable bonuses in certain fields, $25,000 is the biggest I've seen... Most that join Our Corps, don't ask for much... They know we're Spartans... They want the T&A (Travel.. i.e. see exotic places.. Adventure.. i.e. get to kill the exotic people there..)

Petz
07-12-09, 12:15 PM
and any other meanings of T&A I'm sure....

GyC
07-12-09, 12:20 PM
and any other meanings of T&A I'm sure....

You, SSgt, are correct in those assumptions...

Petz
07-12-09, 12:29 PM
my female recruiter told me once that women join for the same reasons as men, but the guys are the ones in uniform.

I was so naive 'cause I got like 20 contact numbers from a job fair (all female) and she threw them out 'cause she saw how they fawned over me in my blues and that they were a waste of time... I felt stupid 'cause I didn't see it myself.

GyC
07-12-09, 12:42 PM
For throwing them out... I would've called everyone of them back, they would have thought in depth about the many more young hard-chargers they would meet during their time in the Corps... Your...

Petz
07-12-09, 12:47 PM
she walked up to me in the mall... I was already thinking about it. I was her first and easiest contract.

I HEARD she wasn't a huge performer... but I'm wondering if the people who said that even knew her at all....

she didn't lie and I liked that about her. I also think she got rid of those contacts for "improvement" of the Corps... we've all seen too many females who expect the men to do all the work.... we don't need more like that. I'd prefer a female who wants to do the work... kinda like commdog7.

GyC
07-12-09, 01:13 PM
she walked up to me in the mall... I was already thinking about it. I was her first and easiest contract.

I HEARD she wasn't a huge performer... but I'm wondering if the people who said that even knew her at all....

she didn't lie and I liked that about her. I also think she got rid of those contacts for "improvement" of the Corps... we've all seen too many females who expect the men to do all the work.... we don't need more like that. I'd prefer a female who wants to do the work... kinda like commdog7.

Then she could sell... There's been plenty of times that personal judgement has probably cost a Recruiter some well-deserved time off after accomplishing the mission... I talk to everyone... Who am I to not offer them the same opportunity offered me?? If they are qualified (mentally, morally, and medically) and want what we offer, put them in...

Petz
07-12-09, 01:40 PM
yeah, I emailed her a few years back and asked her how she faired... she said she survived but they didn't make it easy on her. She didn't want to lower the bar just to make mission... not saying she didn't make mission... just tried until she came under the wire before picking from the "other" pile.